MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Rewind: First Year Course Selection lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-26-2010 01:32 PM
2nd Year Eng. Course Selection PhilM Academics 4 06-15-2010 11:13 AM
course selection recommandation (3rd year econ class) chinadian Academics 0 06-03-2010 09:00 PM
When does course selection start for the 2009/2010 year? dumbconsumer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-31-2010 11:44 PM
Second Year Program Admission and Course Selection mgallant Academics 7 06-24-2008 05:40 PM

Need help with course selection 1st year

Old 03-05-2011 at 10:11 PM   #1
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Need help with course selection 1st year
Hi, I am a grade 12 student, and have gotten accepted to mcmaster. My goal was life sci but I am using enviro sci as a back up. I have been accepted to enviro sci and hopefully will get into life sci but if i do not i want to know what to do before hand. Ok so I was told that course selection is in June 28. I want to transfer to life sci in 2nd year, what courses do i have to take in first year? I was told that life sci only have 1 or 2 different courses than enviro. and i could just change those to a life sci course. So how do I go about planning and taking the prerequisites for life sci in 2nd year? Is first year different in enviro than life or very similar as I was told?
all the help is appreciated
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:19 PM   #2
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

You should look into what second year program you want to go into and pick the courses that are prerequisites to get into the program.
Here are some of the second year science programs:
Hon Life Sci http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1957.html
Hon Bio http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1538.html
Hon Biochem http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1513.html
Hon Chem http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1546.html
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:21 PM   #3
lifesciman1

all students have to pick 2nd year and pick 1st year accordingly?
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:24 PM   #4
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I was in the exact same position as you: Here is my advice:

Hold your horses and see if you get accepted into Life Sci. Don't get worked up too much about University, you still have your final exams in High School to worry about.

In second year you specialize into a field of study. There are all sorts of courses, Such as BioChem, Geography, etc. Literally there are dozens and dozens of them. In first year you will probably figure out what you like and don't like and can decide what you want to specialize in then, which you do later in First year BTW. I still haven't applied for my level II program, just to give you an idea of the time frame.

However My suggestions for you are to take the following courses in Year 1 as they give you the pre-requisites for all Level II science programs with the exception of the Math-related programs (which really should be in the faculty of engineering but whatever)

-Physics (Doesn't matter which one you take, they are viewed as equivalent)
-Calculus (Doesn't matter which one you take, they are viewed as equivalent)
-Both Psychs (1X03 & 1B03)
-2 Earth/Enviro Sci. Courses (1G03 & 1B03)
-Both Bios
-Both Chems
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:27 PM   #5
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
I was in the exact same position as you: Here is my advice:

Hold your horses and see if you get accepted into Life Sci. Don't get worked up too much about University, you still have your final exams in High School to worry about.

In second year you specialize into a field of study. There are all sorts of courses, Such as BioChem, Geography, etc. Literally there are dozens and dozens of them. In first year you will probably figure out what you like and don't like and can decide what you want to specialize in then, which you do later in First year BTW. I still haven't applied for my level II program, just to give you an idea of the time frame.

However My suggestions for you are to take the following courses in Year 1 as they give you the pre-requisites for all Level II science programs with the exception of the Math-related programs (which really should be in the faculty of engineering but whatever)

-Physics (Doesn't matter which one you take, they are viewed as equivalent)
-Calculus (Doesn't matter which one you take, they are viewed as equivalent)
-Both Psychs (1X03 & 1B03)
-2 Earth/Enviro Sci. Courses (1G03 & 1B03)
-Both Bios
-Both Chems
Thank you Atleast I am not blindfolded now. Have you transferred? Me doing enviro to life, is this a transfer? because it sounds like a tricky process, or is it really easy?
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:35 PM   #6
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
Thank you Atleast I am not blindfolded now. Have you transferred? Me doing enviro to life, is this a transfer? because it sounds like a tricky process, or is it really easy?
I actually managed to get into life sci (took them FOREVER to mail my acceptance). However, since Enviro Sci and Life Sci are within the same faculty, it's not really a 'transfer' per se. A student of Enviro Sci can apply to all the same level II programs as a life Sci student without any prejudice against them in the application process. The only real difference between the Enviro Sci I/ Life Sci I is the required first year courses courses. On that note, my super course list works if you're in Enviro Sci (I just double checked)

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-05-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:43 PM   #7
lifesciman1

Quote:
I actually managed to get into life sci (took them FOREVER to mail my acceptance). However, since Enviro Sci and Life Sci are within the same faculty, it's not really a 'transfer' per se. A student of Enviro Sci can apply to all the same level II programs as a life Sci student without any prejudice against them in the application process. The only real difference between the Enviro Sci I/ Life Sci I is the required first year courses courses. On that note, my super course list works if you're in Enviro Sci (I just double checked)
Sorry oif I am taking your time, but do you know how many courses are different? 1/2? Can life scis be in same classes as enviroI was told first year is typically the same and you do not have to take the first year enviro courses and can switch them to the life sci courses because my focus will not be to get a degree in enviro. I just hope I get into life sci to avoid this. Im pretty sure it isnt a hard process but as you could have related in grade 12 students dont really know much about how university works.

no more questions after this :
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:50 PM   #8
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Sorry oif I am taking your time, but do you know how many courses are different? 1/2? Can life scis be in same classes as enviroI was told first year is typically the same and you do not have to take the first year enviro courses and can switch them to the life sci courses because my focus will not be to get a degree in enviro. I just hope I get into life sci to avoid this. Im pretty sure it isnt a hard process but as you could have related in grade 12 students dont really know much about how university works.

no more questions after this :
here are links to sites that show all the courses you need/can take
ENVIRO SCI
LIFE SCI

In year I you get to pick the vast majority of your courses, so you can end up with the same course load with either program.
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:53 PM   #9
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

the process to transfer is fairly simple, take the courses posted in the life science link below, get a 7-9 average and you shouldn't have a problem transferring to the faculty of science. I really wish Mcmaster promoted this idea to prospective students.
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:55 PM   #10
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
the process to transfer is fairly simple, take the courses posted in the life science link below, get a 7-9 average and you shouldn't have a problem transferring to the faculty of science. I really wish Mcmaster promoted this idea to prospective students.
Enviro Sci IS part of the faculty of science already, it's not a transfer, like it would be if he had been accepted to say... Soc. Sci.

At least I am under the impression that transfers from different departments within the same faculty are not penalized for level II entries.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-05-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:56 PM   #11
lifesciman1

Quote:
What do you mean by "transferring to the faculty of science"..enviromenta l sciences IS in the faculty of science...?
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:57 PM   #12
lifesciman1

And thank you guys, this was really helpful.
Old 03-05-2011 at 11:11 PM   #13
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
What do you mean by "transferring to the faculty of science"..enviromenta l sciences IS in the faculty of science...?
It is. He just meant to say "transferring to Life Science."
Old 03-06-2011 at 05:19 AM   #14
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Enviro Sci IS part of the faculty of science already, it's not a transfer, like it would be if he had been accepted to say... Soc. Sci.

At least I am under the impression that transfers from different departments within the same faculty are not penalized for level II entries.
lets not get riled up by semantics, OP its simple, do the required courses and get good marks and your in.
Old 03-06-2011 at 10:44 AM   #15
lifesciman1

Quote:
lets not get riled up by semantics, OP its simple, do the required courses and get good marks and your in.
I understand, but you see at this point I really have no good idea how university works, how classes work etc. That was my worry, but I have an idea now.