MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any other first year Humanities students out there? :) BeckieB Introduce Yourself 22 08-19-2010 07:17 PM
Japanese Course reserved for Humanities Students? CelesteSkye Academics 4 07-02-2010 12:04 PM
To ALL first years (students and course takers) in Humanities and Social Science Goce Academics 9 10-08-2008 12:09 PM
Career Exploration for Humanities Students Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-28-2007 11:17 AM

Need help from Soci Sci/Humanities Students

Old 05-30-2010 at 03:13 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Need help from Soci Sci/Humanities Students
Okay, so I've tried a few options and have received little response so far, and don't know where else to turn.

I am presenting a paper at a conference in a few weeks about race and the Indian Act, and I am trying to gauge how much students know about the Indian Act.

I speculate it's not all that much. I know with Mac, there are only two Canadian History courses, and the last few times they've been taught they have focused mostly on the history of Christianity in Canada.

So...what do you know (without checking out Wikipedia)? Even saying you know nothing would be really helpful.

Thanks!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-30-2010 at 03:41 PM   #2
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Via my cultural anthropology class, I know that First Nations in Canada have continually got the short the end of the stick in many issues, such as the Cree and land rights in a recent encounter with De Beers diamonds.

....and that's about it. I suppose my knowledge on this subject would be described as "hardly any".

lorend says thanks to Shmowen for this post.
Old 05-30-2010 at 03:51 PM   #3
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

I remember the term from history during highschool
but to be completely honest, I don't remember a single thing about it lol

lorend says thanks to x_hikari for this post.
Old 05-30-2010 at 03:51 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
I suppose my knowledge on this subject would be described as "hardly any".
But you know way more than most. Trust.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Shmowen says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 05-30-2010 at 06:03 PM   #5
AnnaM

Liked: 0 Times

I remember some things from High School, and have heard things in passing being from a smallish northern ontario community with a 50/50 white and native population. Wasnt it passed in the 60's? or soooomething. I think theres some things in there about land rights, fishing/hunting/gathering rights, and some promises from the government. Im unsure if this is correct or if I am thinking of some other government thingy regarding the natives.

lorend says thanks to AnnaM for this post.
Old 05-30-2010 at 06:30 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

AnnaM, the first version of the Indian Act became enacted in 1876...so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Old 05-30-2010 at 07:07 PM   #7
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Indian Act = cultural genocide.
Old 05-30-2010 at 07:33 PM   #8
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

FYI, Aboriginal issues are also addressed in Political Science classes like Federalism and Public Law. I wrote a paper last year on comparative federalist policies in Canada and Australia's Northern Territories towards Aboriginals- and sadly found similar results in both places.
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:15 PM   #9
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I know nothing.
Old 05-31-2010 at 04:27 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I know about nouveau morrisseau and that's from grade 10 art, lol.
Old 05-31-2010 at 04:31 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

The indian act helps indians? (apart from being a politically incorrect name for it)

I'm not social science, so this ignorance is forgivable?
Old 05-31-2010 at 05:27 PM   #12
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Maybe its because of my uber-political nature, but my basic understanding of the "Indian Act", is that it was a tiny part of the BNA Act of 1867 (the Act that brought into being the Dominion).

This Act deems someone a registered "Indian" and established the reserve system, which, depending on your POV could be akin to Apartheid or the native people's saving grace.

It definitely belittled the culture of the aboriginal people, because I remember that some of the 'amendments', particularly the in the pre WWII era, were about enforcing residential schooling or treating aboriginal people and culture as if it were inferior to its British equivalent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though...
Old 05-31-2010 at 05:44 PM   #13
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I know it exists. That's all I can say about that.

danallan likes this.
Old 05-31-2010 at 06:29 PM   #14
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Isn't that the one that outlines things like Indian status and what that gives you and such?
Old 05-31-2010 at 06:52 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

@Naheed: I've been told the Poli Sci classes that address Indigenous Issues tend to do it from a non-Native perspective, so they often use rather outdated info.

@rcrw88: Debatable. All of my Native friends hate living under it.

@ c.erl: One of the main goals was to civilize the Indian. Up until 1960 Indigenous persons weren't allowed to vote in Canada, couldn't participate in cultural activities (powwows, sundance, potlatch etc). And then there's the residential school issue. It's the only piece of policy in Canada that defines someone by race.

@ Maegs: Yes, it outlines what is considered Indian according to the Canadian government...which makes it complicated because Indigenous people have no say in how they are defined.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming (please)!