MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't Physics 1B03/Bio 1B03 have any tutorials listed on Master Timetable :| ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-12-2010 10:00 AM
Physics 1B03 Full for the summer IbrahimH Academics 8 04-11-2010 12:15 AM

Need PHYSICS 1B03 But It's Full

Old 07-03-2010 at 06:57 AM   #1
logans

Liked: 3 Times

Need PHYSICS 1B03 But It's Full
So I'm a first year Life Sciences student and signed on to SOLAR July 1st. If I knew pretty much EVERY elective, and even major courses would fill up in the 3 days since June 27, I probably would have been up waiting for 12:01 to hit.

But I didn't, so now I need help on what I'm supposed to do.

For Life Sciences I you need either PHYSICS 1B03 or 1L03, but for Honours Biochemistry, Honours Biology, and Honours Molecular Biology & Genetics PHYSICS 1B03 must be completed by the end of level II. 1B03 is completely full atm, so I was forced to take 1L03 which sucks because I have a Physics 12 U course and need to take 1B03 anyways.

I know summer school is always an option, but I need to work full time over the summer to finance my education, and taking 1L03 and 1B03 is a waste of money, AND I want to take PHYSICS 1BA3 or 1BB3, which i cant w/0 1B03.

I called the office of the registrar, and they told me to talk to Karen Hughes, and heres what she said:

Her:Hi
What program are you in?

Me:I'm in Life Science I, but PHYSICS 1B03 is required for Honours
Biochemistry and Honours Molecular Biology & Genetics.

Her:There are no seats available at the moment.
We will be reviewing enrollments after this registration period
ends. If we decide to open seats (we would have to add lab sections)
then I will let you know. Registration reopens for everyone July 12.
OK?

Me: Thank you, please do get back to me if seats open.
What are the chances of adding a lab section? And will there be more seats on July 12?

I'm told that students are supposed to be able to take required courses, should I keep trying til summer is over and then try to talk to someone? I plan on talking to the office of the registrar in person, hopefully that helps?

Need advice please!
Old 07-03-2010 at 07:07 AM   #2
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Hi, last year they opened up seats for us. Also, you should just wait a little bit, people always drop courses either before school starts or a little into the school year. So just keep trying.

Also, you could always take it in second year. There are tons of people who ended up taking 1B03 n upper years after they found out they needed it for whatever reason. The only downfall is that it's a waste of money.

Goodluck!

logans likes this.
Old 07-03-2010 at 07:11 AM   #3
logans

Yeah, the reason i didnt want to take it second year was because its a waste of money, and takes up valuable course space. Or, i'd assume the space is valuable

and to keep trying, am i supposed to hover over SOLAR 24/7 or just go on once a day, and immediately after they open up selections again?

and thanks!
Old 07-03-2010 at 08:53 AM   #4
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Once July 12th comes seats will be opening up even if they DON'T open up seats. Remember people will also decide to drop the course and when that happens seats will open. So yea I'd go on a few times a day to see if anyone's dropped..people will also drop after timetable release too after realizing it conflicts with their schedule or what not. Good luck!

logans likes this.
Old 07-03-2010 at 11:10 PM   #5
logans

Thanks a lot. At this point I no longer feel like all hope is lost, but don't get me wrong i was really shaken up for the past few days; no sleep, panicking. I guess things will work out for the better...

Thanks a lot for the advice/help guys, good luck to you all next year!
Old 07-03-2010 at 11:19 PM   #6
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

hey when did you sign up for Physics 1L03? Was it today or like before? I was just wondering because I have been trying to sign up for that course and SOLAR says it is full.
Old 07-03-2010 at 11:24 PM   #7
logans

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
hey when did you sign up for Physics 1L03? Was it today or like before? I was just wondering because I have been trying to sign up for that course and SOLAR says it is full.
i signed up for it on july 1st, didnt really want to take it because it felt like a waste but i nabbed it just in case so i can fulfill my requirements. judging from what everyone says about 1B03, chances are 1L03 will open up too. If it doesnt, im sure you can count on my seat opening up if i get into 1B03
Old 07-04-2010 at 11:10 AM   #8
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by logans View Post
If I knew pretty much EVERY elective, and even major courses would fill up in the 3 days since June 27, I probably would have been up waiting for 12:01 to hit.
That's what I did. Actually, mis-timed it a bit and got on an hour late (since I'm an Int'l student), but yeah. And even then some of the electives were full! I wanted to try Greek. But it opened up in the evening, so that means not all coursees will stay full all the time.

So sit on the dot on July 12th, and best of luck!! I really hope you get into that course.

(I'm also Life Sciences I)
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:23 AM   #9
logans

YESS i guess i was super lucky but when i went on solar 1B03 was available Now i gotta switch 1BA3 to 1BB3 and i can stop worrying