MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another TA-related question Mowicz General Discussion 4 11-14-2009 01:54 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM
Need some laptop advice for life sci. Sultan Computers & Tech 8 08-16-2009 05:14 PM
CA related question fasailuddin Academics 3 05-07-2009 12:18 PM
Advice For First Year Science Students nisha First Year Success 3 06-24-2008 12:10 PM

Need some advice -life science related

Old 12-28-2009 at 03:53 PM   #1
Sultan

Liked: 3 Times

Need some advice -life science related
Alright, so we are about to go back to school, and semester one of my first year has not been too bad for me. However, I am very worried about semester 2. The reason is that I have a lot more hours this semester and 4 labs!!!

I hate labs with a passion, so I'm nervous to have to take chem, bio, enviro and physics labs. Because of this and also, I feel that I am not prepared enough for physics I am seriously considering dropping out of physics 1b03 as I don't think physics 1l03 will open up anytime soon.

At this point, I am still not sure about which second year program I want to go into, I'm thinking simply biology because it will give me lots of freedom to choose courses I want.

My question is, if I don't take any physics courses at all in first year, can I still get into second year programs, (including biology)

and also, what is a good, easy course that you would recommend if I do decide to drop out? I have already taken econ 1bb3 and am gonna take econ 1b03.
Old 12-28-2009 at 04:00 PM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

look at the undergrad calendar for the specific requirements of the program u want to get into for second year... i believe u can do either 1L03 or 1B03... but i dont remember exacty if it said done in forst year OR by the end of second year
Old 12-28-2009 at 04:09 PM   #3
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

In life sci hon. we were to take either phy1b03 or 1l03 by the end of 2nd yr..but it's recommended to be completed in 1st yr. However I believe in Bio, Biochem program you do need to take phy1b03 by the end of 2nd yr. You should definitely refer to the undergraduate calendar program requirements. And maybe you could send an email to Phy1l03 prof to get a seat in the course. Also you could take Phy1b03 in summer. I found it to be a lot easier in summer and would recommend that.
Also don't stress too much about the labs. Enviro labs in 1st year are relatively easy and need little preparation. I had enviro1b03 and it was pretty straightforward for me last year. Physics labs are done in grps of 3 and as long as you pay attention in class you should be fine working on it. Chem I believe requires the most input and for bio if you have dry labs, don't worry about them.

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 12-29-2009 at 11:48 PM   #4
jasminexo

Liked: 0 Times

I had 4 labs 1st year and they were the exact same ones you have and in the end it really wasn't that bad.

I hated physics in highschool, but I ended up taking Physics 1B03 and seriously it was one of my favourite courses, i even ended up taking 1BB3 this year!. If it's just the labs you're worried about, dont. Only because the labs aren't really labs, you go into the room sit down in a group and answer a bunch of questions in the lab notebook, maybe roll a cart here and there. That's really about it, plus the TA's (at least the ones I had) are REALLY helpful!

All I can say is that I wouldn't do 1L03, only because every last person I know who did take 1L03 (not exagerrating) took 1B03 either over the summer or in second year, so really it just seems like a waste of time especially if you took grade 12 physics.

If you plan on doing any honours program(4 years) you have to have a physics course by the end of your second year(I think), so yes you could go without physics in your first year.
I'm not a physics whiz, but I really do think people need to give physics another chance, it's really not as bad as you think

I would say an easy course to take would be latin, people may say it's a dead language but its one awesome course Also, I know a number of people who enjoyed astronomy(but that may have just been because of the prof...(reid))

Here's the page where you can look at all of the requirements for specific second year programs:
http://www.biology.mcmaster. ca/ugrad_prog.htm#13

GOOD LUCK!

Jasmine
Hons. BioPsych II