MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Dr. Alexandre Sévigny Gives Students Letter of Advice lorend Academics 0 09-18-2009 08:34 AM
Academic Advice from the UPPER YEAR STUDENTS' is needed! ishk33 Academics 23 08-25-2009 09:23 PM
Attention First Year Science Students!! manu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 08-04-2009 12:01 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM

Advice For First Year Science Students

Advice For First Year Science Students

By NISHA DE SILVA, MACINSIDERS

One word of advice I’d like to share with all first years is to be sure to seek out good professors when choosing your courses. This isn’t to say that not all professors are highly qualified or are unable to teach, but some professors definitely have more potential than others, and are talented when it comes to getting their thoughts across to the audience. One website I highly recommend is www.rateyourprofessor s.com. This site will enable you to hear from students who have taken the course in previous years. Ratings may not only pertain to the professor, but it will also cover course content, level of ease, professor approachability etc. allowing you to get a sense of the course. Professors DO make a DIFFERENCE. Personally, having done first year university, this is one experience I shall take with me to upper years. Here are a few of my recommendations to incoming science students:

For Chemistry 1AA3, I’d recommend Dr. Pippa Lock; She’s truly interested about the student’s well-being, and she simplifies content. She is very approachable, and is compassionate to her students. During lectures, she slows down to ensure everyone is on the same page.

For stats 1CC3- Dr. Childes; He is the department head for stats, and he writes all the tests. His lectures are to the point, and while it is necessary to do all the assigned work, if you are able to follow his lectures, you will be comfortable with the material.

For Bio 1A03 & 1AA3- This course works differently, as four professors teach the course throughout the semester.

Another suggestion is to choose courses that are easy and that you will enjoy as your electives. University is hard enough, and it’s nice to have one or two courses where you can lay back and take it easy.

In my first year, I took environmental science 1A03 and psychology (1A03 & 1AA3) as my electives. Having never taken environmental science in my high school career, and not having that much of an interest for the course, I soon realized that it wasn’t the best decision I had made. I later realized I should have done more research prior to choosing the specific course. Psychology on the other hand, despite matching my interests happened to be a lot of work, especially as the course had been changed my year. However, for students entering this year, Psychology 1A03 and 1AA3 will go back to it’s original, fairly easy structure that was used before, so, don’t worry.

Another comment I’d like to add is that when choosing your courses on solar, try to sequence your courses one after another, so that you will be going from one class to another. I found that this personally forced me to attend every lecture. On the contrary, if I had huge 6 hour gaps between classes, I would find myself being unproductive. My last piece of advice is to sign onto solar as soon as the link is launched, as you may find the longer you wait, the lower the chances of getting into your desired courses, or course sections. Please feel free to ask any course-related questions before solar opens. Good luck to you all!

0t10, esaba like this.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-15-2008 at 07:20 PM   #2
MacEng
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Year: Fifth
Residence: nuts swinging, swinging my nuts

Liked: 125 Times
Hey thanks for the review (I read the electives part)

I am wondering if there will be advice for first year engineering students?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-21-2008 at 12:04 AM   #3
moonlight
Program: Biology
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 0 Times
some info about electives
Hi!
I wanted some information about ENVIRO 1A03 and ENVIRO 1B03...I was thinking of taking them as my elective courses, but I am not too sure so I would be really glad if I could get some more info about about those courses... Thank You.
Old 06-24-2008 at 12:10 PM   #4
denisa002
Program: Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization)
Year: Third

Liked: 3 Times
yes, I would also appreciate some info on enviro 1A03...I'm hoping to take it as an elective in my second term because kinesiology 1Y03 was not available...

Article Tools