MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st Year Neuroscience Grad InsideMINDS Introduce Yourself 1 08-06-2011 11:40 AM
Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (BSc) MaryS Academics 1 02-23-2011 11:15 PM

Neuroscience/MINDS

Old 08-06-2011 at 10:27 AM   #1
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

Neuroscience/MINDS
Hey, I'm brand new both on these forums and at Mac.

I'm an incoming Neuro Graduate student. Are there many neuro students at Mac? Grad or undergrad? Is there even a dedicated undergrad neuro program or is it just included in life sci/health sci? Thats my impression so far since the courses I chose to TA from were mostly health sci and life sci courses.
Old 08-06-2011 at 10:33 AM   #2
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Welcome to Mac!

And I'm not sure about the neuro progs but there will def be others on here who'll answer that for you
Old 08-06-2011 at 10:37 AM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

There is a psych/neuro/behaviour department and that is where the undergrad programs in PNB come from. As far as I know, it's not associated with the health sci faculty, moreso the science and social science faculties. The various PNB specializations (from level 2+) are pretty popular in undergrad. These are all of the undergrad programs offered: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1483.html

I'm not sure about the grad program, though.
Old 08-06-2011 at 11:19 AM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMINDS View Post
Hey, I'm brand new both on these forums and at Mac.

I'm an incoming Neuro Graduate student. Are there many neuro students at Mac? Grad or undergrad? Is there even a dedicated undergrad neuro program or is it just included in life sci/health sci? Thats my impression so far since the courses I chose to TA from were mostly health sci and life sci courses.
This is mostly an UG forum, I don't think I've ever seen a Grad here... welcome though.
Old 08-06-2011 at 09:18 PM   #5
InsideMINDS

Thanks for the welcome. Is there another forum that grads flock too?

We're all Mac students anyways
Old 08-06-2011 at 09:55 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:

Welcome to Mac! Unfortunately, there's no forum specifically for grad students.
Old 08-06-2011 at 09:58 PM   #7
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:

Most grad students go to the phoenix its like a pub/restaurant you can go there and meet the other grads and ask them questions etc.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-06-2011 at 10:22 PM   #8
InsideMINDS

Thanks guys. I'm happy here thought . UG and grads... just labels.

yoni likes this.
Old 08-07-2011 at 12:25 AM   #9
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

I consider myself a quasi-neuroscience student, so welcome to McMaster and the department. Make sure you stop by the Phoenix this year, their food is amazing.

Last edited by Toast : 08-07-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:47 AM   #10
InsideMINDS

Hey Toast, nice to see you again.
Pheonix is good eh? Anything particular off the menu I should try?
Old 08-08-2011 at 12:21 PM   #11
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Most grad students go to the phoenix its like a pub/restaurant you can go there and meet the other grads and ask them questions etc.
They're moving the Phoenix, if they haven't done so already. It's going on the 3rd floor of the Refectory. I'm not sure if they're closing Wentworth House or just renovating it.
Old 08-08-2011 at 01:42 PM   #12
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

I havent seen any signs or anything up around the phoenix saying they're closing. According to the Grad students in my lab, the University has been saying that the phoenix is closing for about 5 yrs or so :/ but now that the new humanities building has been funded and will be built in place of wentworth house, I guess they actually are finally moving it. However, it wont be closed until they want to tear wentworth house down and start construction... prob won't be happening this yr? Not sure about that whole situation, is someone else knows when construction is starting, feel free to elaborate
Old 08-08-2011 at 01:44 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
I havent seen any signs or anything up around the phoenix saying they're closing. According to the Grad students in my lab, the University has been saying that the phoenix is closing for about 5 yrs or so :/ but now that the new humanities building has been funded and will be built in place of wentworth house, I guess they actually are finally moving it. However, it wont be closed until they want to tear wentworth house down and start construction... prob won't be happening this yr? Not sure about that whole situation, is someone else knows when construction is starting, feel free to elaborate
There was an article in the Sil about it...it's happening pretty soon.