MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Recycle - - McMaster's program and helping out aviaf General Discussion 2 10-13-2010 03:11 PM
Senate Meeting regarding the closure of McMaster's Art History Program Nosh MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-15-2010 02:20 AM
OSAP and Bursary Assistance rrtt MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-14-2010 05:11 PM
Results of the IRC Executive Elections Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-21-2008 10:56 PM

New Club: McMaster's Autism Assistance Tutoring Program (Executive Positions Avail)

Old 09-04-2010 at 03:42 PM   #1
Rene

Liked: 0 Times

New Club: McMaster's Autism Assistance Tutoring Program (Executive Positions Avail)
Hello!

"The Autism Assistance Program has been created in response to the ongoing crisis many families experience in their quest to access appropriate and necessary therapy for their loved ones with Autism. The Autism Assistance Program and its founders have dedicated themselves to providing alternative solutions to help these families in crisis. While the Program is not meant to replace what the government already has in place to assist families and people on the Autism Spectrum, our intent is to help families who are affected by Autism and who are in crisis, access much needed support and therapy. The main method of accessing these supports is through community collaboration and through the initiation of ongoing fundraising campaigns."

Now it's McMaster's turn to help out! Since this is a new club, a lot of executive positions are available. We require three hours/week to tutor autistic children who cannot afford an autistic tutor. We will provide all the relevant training you require, such as Nonviolence crisis intervention training.

This is an excellent opportunity to build as an individual and help someone out. The experiences I have gained from the summer are beyond what I would have ever imagined.

If you are interested, e-mail me on Macinsiders. I will be officially in Hamilton on Wednesday and would be happy to meet with anyone who is interested in making a difference!

This is volunteer work but because we operate alongside the Behavioral Institute, they might consider hiring you.

Thank you,
Jessica
Old 09-06-2010 at 08:37 AM   #2
Rene

Hello!

I just was informed that you will be trained through the Behavioral Institute.

And that if you are not ready to tutor, positions for fundraising and bake sales to fund families tutoring materials are also options.

Thank you,
Jessica
Old 09-12-2010 at 07:39 AM   #3
Rene

UPDATE:

Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5411644&ref=mf

I had a meeting with the Behavioral Institute and I was informed that a lot of positions are available within the Behavioral institute.
1. Thesis options with doctors.
2. Hired to be a Starter Junior tutor.
3. Mohawk's program connections.

To tutor you will need:
1. A resume
2. Police check (if you get a note from the BI then I believe prices of police checks are quite affordable)

After this is cleared, you will need to take a 6 hour Nonviolence Crisis intervention course which looks fantastic on a resume and helps develop life skills.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010 at 03:25 PM   #4
mayochin

this sounds very interesting!
Old 09-16-2010 at 08:01 PM   #5
Rene

Hello!

We have a meeting that will offer more information and the director and co-director of the external organization we are assisting will be present to answer any of your questions.

Currently the meeting will be hosted in Mills - L310/D September Wednesday 22, @ 6 PM - 7 PM.

Because the group is growing rapidly, I might find another room in which to host the meeting. I will keep you informed.

Thank you!
MacOTCA
Old 09-22-2010 at 11:53 AM   #6
Rene

E-mail me at [email protected] to confirm that you are coming!
Old 09-25-2010 at 01:02 PM   #7
Rene

Excellent meeting!

We have our next meeting this Wednesday at 9:00 PM (same Location Mills L310/D)

We've had an amazing response! And every day are getting more families who need our help!

Thank you,
MacOTCA