MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Club: McMaster's Autism Assistance Tutoring Program (Executive Positions Avail) Rene Clubs & Groups 6 09-25-2010 01:02 PM
Senate Meeting regarding the closure of McMaster's Art History Program Nosh MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-15-2010 02:20 AM
MacInsiders Helping You to Save Money! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-11-2009 11:16 AM
Malaria Bites: How MacInsiders, Trance at Mac and the McMaster Red Cross are Helping lorend ARCHIVES 0 01-16-2008 08:22 AM

Think Recycle - - McMaster's program and helping out

Old 10-13-2010 at 04:51 AM   #1
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Think Recycle - - McMaster's program and helping out
Hey guys,

I run the ThinkRecycle program at McMaster University. You may have seen one of the green and white collection boxes around campus. Basically, through this program, I recycle ink and laser cartridges as well as cell phones, and digital cameras. (soon to include laptops, and mp3 players)

As the program has expanded from its first 2 boxes in the first year when I brought it to McMaster, it now spans 14 boxes across campus, and might be growing to a few more.

Over the last two years, I've had help here and there but have been running the program entirely on my own and have managed to divert over 2000 lbs of waste from landfills by recycling over 3,300 cartridges and several hundred phones, as well as raising money to go towards environmental initiatives at McMaster such as the everGREEN conference.

As it has grown, it has recently become a little much to handle and so I'm posting here to see if anyone would be interested in volunteering and helping out.

What I need:

7 checkers/collectors
- responsible for checking up on 2 campus boxes every week
- responsible for emptying the boxes or replacing with new collection box

1 PR:
- 70% responsible for promoting ThinkRecycle on campus
- 30% responsible for maintaining relations with the McMaster Office of Sustainability, building admins, facility services, and the Mac Health and Safety Office

1 'assistant coordinator':
- 70% responsible for assisting in sorting and shipping of collected materials
- 30% assist in overlooking TR program at McMaster

If anyone would like to help out, please send me an e-mail at [email protected] om with:

Name
Position you'd like
Why you'd like to help out
If you heard/saw TR before, if yes, how?
How TR could be approved on campus

Thanks so much to everyone who'd like to help, I've included a couple of pics below just for a taste

Richard Cioci

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 10-13-2010 at 08:37 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

First of all, let me thank you for all the good work you've done with this program! I've disposed of quite a number of items through this collection system and I don't really know how I would have otherwise (other than tossing in the trash).

I'd love to help but I'm too busy :(

I think you should advertise more, because I've had trouble finding the boxes, and I only know where one of the boxes is...

p.s. nice office
Old 10-13-2010 at 03:11 PM   #3
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Yea I've wanted to advertise more, but sometimes I barely have enough time to run it.

Also, yea, that was a time when I hadn't done it for three weeks and the office was packed. I'd rather show people how busy it can get rather than have people say they can't do it afterwards, but with the amount of people I'd like to get, everyone's load would be much less.