MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What building is this? mms17892 Academics 5 09-13-2010 09:24 AM
Building GS 101 Erika0909 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 01-06-2010 05:30 PM
Where is building T13? Jess.Wilson First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-31-2008 02:38 PM
building the timetable navb Academics 7 06-30-2008 10:39 AM

new engineering building

Old 07-20-2009 at 06:38 AM   #1
Ryan V

Liked: 8 Times

new engineering building
How far is the building? Does anyone know if it will be ready for next year?
Old 07-20-2009 at 07:13 AM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

this is the new building that's way out by main street. If you live in Les Prince, this is somewhat far.
Old 07-20-2009 at 07:17 AM   #3
Ryan V

Liked: 8 Times

i mean how far is the construction of the building? sorry for not being a little more clear
Old 07-20-2009 at 08:28 AM   #4
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

im pretty sure it should be done for this year, next year at the latest.
Old 07-20-2009 at 08:48 AM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I'm pretty sure that they said it would be done this September. I think Dr. Fleisig said they were going to cram all the first year engineers this year into there.
Old 07-20-2009 at 09:02 AM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I'm not sure what the "official" schedule is for the new building, but as it stands right now, it doesn't look like it will be ready for September.

I hope it is ready though, as I really find construction on campus annoying :S
Old 07-20-2009 at 09:26 AM   #7
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V View Post
How far is the building? Does anyone know if it will be ready for next year?
The actual building looks like it's done, but there is still lots of construction going on around it. I doubt it will be ready for September (although I hope I'm wrong) ... I mean school starts in like... seven weeks?
Old 07-20-2009 at 09:30 AM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
The actual building looks like it's done, but there is still lots of construction going on around it. I doubt it will be ready for September (although I hope I'm wrong) ... I mean school starts in like... seven weeks?
The structure of the building is finished. Not all of the windows are finished being treated (or whatever they do... if you look at how it's supposed to appear when complete, some of the glass panes are opaque, while others are supposed to be transparent. This pattern is apparently not complete yet)

The interior of the building is what they are working on now... the first floor looks finished (from what I can see) but as you look up through the upper floors, they get more and more unfinished, and progress simply doesn't look like it's happening, which is why I don't think it will be ready for September.
Old 07-20-2009 at 09:32 AM   #9
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

How long have they been working on it? Two years?

I hate campus construction. Such an eyesore...
Old 07-20-2009 at 09:38 AM   #10
Taunton
Elite Member

Yes, this is the second summer.

I agree... campus construction is an eyesore, and it's annoying. The dump trucks and other heavy machinery coming on and off campus is not only annoying but dangerous in high-volumes since our campus is generally considered "pedestrian only"

Fortunately, at this stage of construction the dump trucks are not so much of a problem anymore.

There's been construction on campus since my first year.... somewhere, something has been dug up and built on, or torn down, or whatever. I understand that it's progress and that things need to be maintained, but it's just never ending. It feels like campus is never settled, and is always being interfered with.

I just wish construction would end for a year.
Old 07-20-2009 at 10:22 AM   #11
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Here's some info with a webcam image of the building for anyone interested...http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/about/newbuilding.html
Old 07-20-2009 at 10:26 AM   #12
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

I love that engineering gets a new building, and humanities is left in the cold....or worse, Burlington
Old 07-20-2009 at 10:27 AM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
I love that engineering gets a new building, and humanities is left in the cold....or worse, Burlington
You guys already have KTH, TSH and like half of Hamilton Hall. I'm probably leaving some stuff out there too...
Old 07-20-2009 at 10:33 AM   #14
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

there are no humanities specific building, the arts quad is shared with Soc Sci, and the vast majority Hamilton Hall is Math.
Also, the Arts Quad hasnt been updated in decades.
The Liberal Arts (Humanities and Soc Sci) are consistantly undermind and discounted by the Univeristy.
Old 07-20-2009 at 10:39 AM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
there are no humanities specific building, the arts quad is shared with Soc Sci, and the vast majority Hamilton Hall is Math.
Also, the Arts Quad hasnt been updated in decades.
The Liberal Arts (Humanities and Soc Sci) are consistantly undermind and discounted by the Univeristy.
It's because you guys don't need expensive things like super dooper electron microscopes and robot grappling arms like engineering people do :p