MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Titles Bookstore Tech Support? shashycookie Computers & Tech 9 03-19-2013 09:09 AM
Hoodies for under $25 at the Campus Bookstore staceygab Student Deals & Discounts 13 09-12-2012 10:12 PM
About Titles Bookstore wonie9024 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 08-11-2008 08:43 PM

New McMaster Campus Store to replace Titles Bookstore

Mac is getting a BRAND NEW campus store! Titles Bookstore will now be known as the McMaster Campus Store — a one-stop shop where customers can find many of the products and services they require for campus life. The brand new 'one-stop' retail outlet will offer many enhanced and streamlined services.

Campus Store staff (from left) Nicole Harding, Daniel Johnston and Katelyn Granger.

Along with the new name, an expansion and renovation of the central Gilmour Hall location will begin mid-May, and is expected to be completed in July. The additional space will be used to bring course materials up from their current location in the Tank, which will be converted into warehouse space.

The Health Sciences Bookstore is also undergoing some changes. Widely known on campus as the "Media Shop," the Health Sciences Bookstore will also be making an official name change to "Campus Store, Health Sciences"

Learn more: http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /artic...-campus-store/
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 05-08-2013 at 09:42 AM   #2
Kinder
Year: Other

Liked: 13 Times
Lets hope they spend as much money to revamp the website too.

There is almost no point in using the website to search their inventory beside textbooks.

Afzal, Commie42, jim1, MacPack, Snowman like this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 05-08-2013 at 10:12 AM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member
Program: Engineering & Society

Liked: 422 Times
McMaster: Creative as F***

Old 05-08-2013 at 10:22 AM   #4
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane
Program: Nanomaterials/Society
Year: Alumni

Liked: 974 Times
"Hey guys, we need to come up with a new, exciting name that accurately reflects what the campus store has become. Any ideas?"
"idk just call it Campus Store or something until someone comes up with something better"

I'm all for the renovations and changes (although I'm not sure how the contents of the Tank will be able to fit into the space Titles holds now while leaving enough room for it to sell everything it still does), but the name is awfully unimaginative. Then again, I don't have a lot of faith in whatever marketing team Mac currently has anyway. I'm still convinced MUSST was named just to make that terrible pun.

I think Titles was an effective name that transcended the increasing variety of things it sold (like Canadian Tire), but I kinda see why people might want to update it for a younger demographic. Maybe people realized that it was too easy to add an extra "S" to it and completely change its meaning too.

Old 05-08-2013 at 11:19 AM   #5
Quiver
Year: Third

Liked: 126 Times
I really liked the name Titles. ):

Old 05-08-2013 at 11:41 AM   #6
collinbf
Program: Classics

Liked: 49 Times
So they finally gave up on selling books.

Old 05-08-2013 at 05:04 PM   #7
MrPlinkett
Account Locked
Faculty: Engineering

Liked: 201 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinbf View Post
So they finally gave up on selling books.
Yay. They will probably sell overpriced food and drinks then... oh wait, every single store on campus is already doing that. Oh maybe they might sell overpriced clothing then... oh wait Titles already does....

Why do they change the store exactly? To give the a reason to keep the high prices? Money laundering?

drpatel likes this.
Old 05-08-2013 at 05:20 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 526 Times
I have a feeling those high textbook costs/fees were just used to make a nicer store for even higher prices. Flipping yay
Old 05-08-2013 at 05:30 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times
This is incredibly stupid. Oh well, another reason why I won't shop there any more; I guess I'll have to find a new place to casually buy random objects from...sigh.
Old 05-08-2013 at 11:28 PM   #10
mikefung
Faculty: Engineering
Year: Third

Liked: 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
"Hey guys, we need to come up with a new, exciting name that accurately reflects what the campus store has become. Any ideas?"
"idk just call it Campus Store or something until someone comes up with something better"
I lol'd this, as it reminds me sometime ago when Canon releases G1X camera, I thought its a temporary name for the G-series camera. While they couldn't decide when number they use, name it "G-10-something" for now.

I never understand why school always change things while they were totally fine apart from the overpriced products (ok some glitches and user-friendliness problems on Titles website)

There was Commons (now Centro, renovated for higher price), and now Wentworth house is being demolished for something else.
I do believe they have better place to spend the money.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 05-12-2013 at 09:06 PM   #11
staceygab
Campus Store
McMaster Employee
Program: Social Sciences
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 97 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinder View Post
Lets hope they spend as much money to revamp the website too.

There is almost no point in using the website to search their inventory beside textbooks.
I agree - the search sucks on the website. There are lot's of changes that need to happen there. I don't have timelines for you at this time but we are well aware of the problems.

Chad likes this.
Old 05-12-2013 at 09:28 PM   #12
staceygab
Campus Store
McMaster Employee
Program: Social Sciences
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 97 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
I have a feeling those high textbook costs/fees were just used to make a nicer store for even higher prices. Flipping yay
Some of the books are higher priced for sure. What's easy to overlook is that a small store does not have the bulk buying discount power of a nation/international chain store Chapters or Amazon.

With no physical locations Amazon also does not have the same kind of overhead like rent and staffing as the Campus Store and they aren't paying people to manage organizing the Book list for the entire school.

Amazon didn't raise $1.25 last year to help fund and support student services and programs. The Campus Store did.

It's your choice to shop where you want for whatever reason you choose do consider any money spent on campus is going back into the school to maintain it and make it better not into US shareholder pockets.

Out of every $100 sale at the Campus Store approximately 4¢ goes into the reserve fund for things like renovations. When all is said in done a year from now the operation costs of the store will be lower because using the Tank as store eliminates the need for an off campus warehouse and the reno means a new wheelchair friendly access.

It's easy to assume the worst but pricing is a more complex thing than most people know.

Chad, sarahsullz like this.
Old 05-12-2013 at 09:50 PM   #13
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill
Year: Masters

Liked: 423 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
I lol'd this, as it reminds me sometime ago when Canon releases G1X camera, I thought its a temporary name for the G-series camera. While they couldn't decide when number they use, name it "G-10-something" for now.

I never understand why school always change things while they were totally fine apart from the overpriced products (ok some glitches and user-friendliness problems on Titles website)

There was Commons (now Centro, renovated for higher price), and now Wentworth house is being demolished for something else.
I do believe they have better place to spend the money.
Nobody's going to call it the McMaster Campus Store anway. It will always be Titles. Just like 1280 is still Quarter's for a lot of people and Centro is still Commons. Honestly, I get confused when anyone says they're heading to Centro because I still think of it as Commons. I don't understand why the name has to be changed at all, especially since the new name is ridiculously lame and unoriginal.
Old 05-12-2013 at 10:18 PM   #14
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Masters
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Nobody's going to call it the McMaster Campus Store anway. It will always be Titles. Just like 1280 is still Quarter's for a lot of people and Centro is still Commons. Honestly, I get confused when anyone says they're heading to Centro because I still think of it as Commons. I don't understand why the name has to be changed at all, especially since the new name is ridiculously lame and unoriginal.
You're dating yourself
Old 05-13-2013 at 12:34 AM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Thanks for the responses Stacey!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article: