MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving the Phoenix lizziepizzie General Discussion 21 06-07-2011 01:49 PM
Phoenix in August homeskillet Body & Food 1 07-31-2010 11:31 AM
Parking at Phoenix VastHorizon Automotive & Transportation 11 06-18-2010 08:21 PM
Bright new future for hybrids? Fight0 General Discussion 45 08-12-2009 01:23 PM
Working Part-Time: Good Idea or Bad Idea? lorend Jobs & Employment Tips 2 02-28-2008 01:10 PM

New Phoenix Location - Whose bright idea???

Old 10-01-2011 at 11:57 PM   #1
dimoxyel
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 7 Times

New Phoenix Location - Whose bright idea???
I only just heard of the move/renovation today, when I saw the pictures on Facebook. Given that it's already under construction, it's probably too late to do anything, but I wanted to voice my opinion.

I think it's a spectacularly bad choice of location. Excluding the fact that it's a considerably farther distance from the buses, the biggest problem is that it's right next to Wallingford Hall. I lived in Wally in my first year ('08), and I can tell you, those windows are by no means soundproof. Unless they plan to soundproof the Phoenix and place some kind of volume regulations on the patio, I foresee a lot of Wally girls losing a lot of sleep and study-time. Heck, MaMoWa in general will have trouble. The benches in MaMoWa circle will be an appealing place to continue hanging out when the bar shuts down for the night, or when people want to have a smoke somewhere out of the way. To put the icing on the cake, most of MaMoWa's population is first years - Most of them won't even be able to enjoy it for themselves because they'd be underage. Unless they sneak in with fake IDs, which doesn't seem like something we'd want to promote.

If anyone sees the reasons why someone thought this would be a good location, please enlighten me, because I admit I'm at a loss right now.

Biochem47 says thanks to dimoxyel for this post.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 10-02-2011 at 01:00 AM   #2
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

I'am sorry don't a lot of wally girls lose a lot sleep anyways if you know what i mean?

and yes it is a bad location....

L'Étoile says thanks to thedog123123 for this post.

Old 10-02-2011 at 07:34 AM   #3
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Wait where is it going? Where is there space beside Wally?

PS. I couldn't agree more...
Old 10-02-2011 at 08:50 AM   #4
dimoxyel
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
Wait where is it going? Where is there space beside Wally?

PS. I couldn't agree more...
You know the Refractory, where Bridges is? They're converting the first floor of that, plus the area behind it.

Minor pro = It's only a stone's throw from Security. But I would hope that such an advantage would not be used very often.
Old 10-02-2011 at 09:45 AM   #5
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

That location (bridges) was already a bar for 30 odd years so I think they had an idea about what the effect would be on the surrounding area and didn't really care. The outdoor patio is definitely a concearn if you live in res over there.
Old 10-02-2011 at 09:51 AM   #6
AeRo

Liked: 10 Times

But remember, the patio is only used from May-Septemberish, and that's if its an warm September. Who uses the phoenix patio at night from october - march unless they've got parkas on?

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 10-02-2011 at 09:57 AM   #7
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

its not my problem........
Old 10-02-2011 at 10:36 AM   #8
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeRo View Post
But remember, the patio is only used from May-Septemberish, and that's if its an warm September. Who uses the phoenix patio at night from october - march unless they've got parkas on?
This.

It was the location of the first bar on campus, and has hosted the campus "club night" in the past.

Taking Geospatial Management: GIS Post-Grad Program at Niagara.
Old 10-02-2011 at 11:39 AM   #9
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst been wise.

This complaint is so dumb I hardly know where to start. Have you ever been the Phoenix?

AmyLia says thanks to Twelve Chars for this post.
Old 10-02-2011 at 11:55 AM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

They're demolishing the building where The Pheonix currently is to construct a new liberal arts building, where else on Campus could Pheonix have moved to?
Old 10-02-2011 at 02:08 PM   #11
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

First of all, I highly doubt people will be kept awake because of the location of the Phoenix. There are noise regulations they must follow, no music will be played after 11 outside, and besides the patio will be closed during the cold weather.

Its first year university, you should be up and enjoying everything anyways.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 10-02-2011 at 02:11 PM   #12
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

wheres the bike store gonna be moved to then =[

BlueMorphan likes this.
Old 10-02-2011 at 03:30 PM   #13
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
They're demolishing the building where The Pheonix currently is to construct a new liberal arts building, where else on Campus could Pheonix have moved to?
And what about day care?
Old 10-02-2011 at 03:32 PM   #14
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Old 10-02-2011 at 06:19 PM   #15
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

I'm pretty sure that there was a lot of research into where the move is occurring. As others in this thread have mentioned, The Phoenix used to be what 1280 is now in the exact location beside Wally. I understand the perceived frustration, it just isn't a well thought out one.