MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Generation Students Event lorend MacInsiders Announcements 12 11-12-2010 04:13 AM
A generation of Peter Pans? DannyV General Discussion 11 05-28-2008 09:43 AM
First Generation Students lorend General Discussion 6 10-02-2007 09:48 AM
Calling all first generation students! Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-25-2007 12:32 PM

Next generation of PSP, and it's 3D + touch!

Old 01-28-2011 at 02:14 AM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Next generation of PSP, and it's 3D + touch!
Betcha didn't think this day would come, but it finally has. Sony has just come clean with its next-generation PlayStation Portable. It's actually codenamed NGP and will revolve around five key concepts: Revolutionary User Interface, Social Connectivity, Location-based Entertainment, Converging Real and Virtual (augmented) Reality. It will be compatible with the PlayStation Suite and is backwards-compatible with downloadable PSP games and content from Sony's PlayStation Store.

Videos:

Alchemist11, Drizzy, Entropy like this.
Old 01-28-2011 at 07:04 AM   #2
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

oh shit! i'm getting one of these for sure
Old 01-28-2011 at 07:18 AM   #3
Kerbs

Liked: 17 Times

Hey Chad, I do not believe this device is 3D, however it is 3G.
Old 01-28-2011 at 08:20 AM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

That thing is going to be $300+ at least...
Old 01-28-2011 at 08:27 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I sure hope its 3D... I don't think you could fit a whole lot in an infinitesimally small plane.
Old 01-28-2011 at 09:32 AM   #6
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Not 3D. But still looks pretty damn cool. Surprisingly, I'm more excited about this than the 3DS (Which seems like a very rushed product to me). Uncharted looks sick. And the back track pad looks interesting. And my god that screen...
Old 01-28-2011 at 09:39 AM   #7
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
That thing is going to be $300+ at least...
i read that it's going to be $250...if there's no 3D, i'll probably be leaning more towards the 3DS though
Old 01-28-2011 at 09:48 AM   #8
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Don't think it is 3D but rather 3G.

But it does have QUAD-cores CPU and QUAD-cores GPU. Sheesh eh?

Check Engaget's coverage of the device.
Old 01-28-2011 at 09:50 AM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
i read that it's going to be $250...if there's no 3D, i'll probably be leaning more towards the 3DS though
It's got a Quad Core Processor, a dedicated graphics chip an OLED screen with resolution almost as high as the iPhone 4's "Retina Display", 2 touch panels, mics, and a gyroscope there is no way that all of that could be less than $300 (and many analysts are assuming a price point between $300-$350 for it, the only thing Sony has said is that it'll be less than $599).
Old 01-28-2011 at 10:46 AM   #10
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

4-5 hour battery life= gamebreaker. There are also many sources saying the battery is not rechargeable (making me wonder how the heck the thing works.) This is because rechargeable Sony batteries were able to be modified to hack the old psp systems through the pandora battery hack.

Also, the NGP is completely sealed. This suggests only downloaded games can be played, much like the PSP Go, which was such a huge success as we all know... This is probably to try and get around the use of iso loaders to create uploadable/piratable game images. This will suck however, since it really limits the number of games you can carry with you at one time. Since there has been no mention of a hard drive in the NGP, it will likely store games on a sony Memory stick duo card, which are rather expensive for small amounts of storage. (16gig = ~ $60+ dollars). In the case I am wrong about the memory stick duo, (which is likely as the NGP is very well sealed) they will probably charge a small fortune for decent hard drive capacity.

Pretty much, sony is taking no chances with the NGP to make it hack-free to overcome the fact that the psp was the most hacked gaming system of all time. However, they are doing this at the cost of functionality and ease of use

EDIT: you can tell I am a huge PSP gamer, so the NGP is a huge disappointment for me thus far.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 01-28-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2011 at 11:14 AM   #11
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
4-5 hour battery life= gamebreaker. There are also many sources saying the battery is not rechargeable (making me wonder how the heck the thing works.) This is because rechargeable Sony batteries were able to be modified to hack the old psp systems through the pandora battery hack.

Also, the NGP is completely sealed. This suggests only downloaded games can be played, much like the PSP Go, which was such a huge success as we all know... This is probably to try and get around the use of iso loaders to create uploadable/piratable game images. This will suck however, since it really limits the number of games you can carry with you at one time. Since there has been no mention of a hard drive in the NGP, it will likely store games on a sony Memory stick duo card, which are rather expensive for small amounts of storage. (16gig = ~ $60+ dollars). In the case I am wrong about the memory stick duo, (which is likely as the NGP is very well sealed) they will probably charge a small fortune for decent hard drive capacity.

Pretty much, sony is taking no chances with the NGP to make it hack-free to overcome the fact that the psp was the most hacked gaming system of all time. However, they are doing this at the cost of functionality and ease of use

EDIT: you can tell I am a huge PSP gamer, so the NGP is a huge disappointment for me thus far.
The battery is rechargeable, it's just not interchangeable (i.e. Like an iPod it'll probably need to be sent to Sony or replaced after the battery loses most of its charge after about 4-5 years of use. Also the battery life looks like it'll be the same or better than the 3DS (and also comparable to higher-end iPhone gaming).
It's using flash media for the games (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....event-1385.jpg), but there is no UMD drive (IIRC there is a MS slot though).

The NGP isn't as locked down as you think.

Last edited by Tailsnake : 01-28-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2011 at 11:31 AM   #12
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

There's no way that's 3D.
Old 01-28-2011 at 01:22 PM   #13
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post

Really, theres not much Sony can do about this. Battery tech has only come so far. Unless you wanted the graphics to be the exact same as on the PSP, there's not much they can do. Not really Sony's fault. Nintendo is having this problem too.

EDIT: Also, the system uses a cartridge system. Its not completely sealed.