MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Google Nexus 7-2 or Nexus 7: 2nd Gen Thoughts? lgdynasty Computers & Tech 20 07-26-2013 01:06 AM

Nexus 5 vs. Iphone 5C

Old 09-22-2014 at 12:20 AM   #1
callmeliz

Liked: 0 Times

Nexus 5 vs. Iphone 5C
Hi,

I just upgraded my phone from the nexus 4 to the iphone 5c. I loved my nexus, but unfortunately it fell and the screen does not respond anymore. I initially planned on getting the nexus 5 since it is similar to the nexus 4, but last minute decided to go with the iphone. (I wanted to change things up) It's been a day of using the iphone 5C and its a big change from an android phone.. and I am not sure if I like it. (I have 14 days to return the phone)

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with either phone, and what you think about them. Which would you recommend? (The phone plan is the same amount for both phones)

Any help is very much appreciated!
Old 09-22-2014 at 07:44 AM   #2
danix450

Liked: 2 Times

my understanding is that smart people would say android > iOS, and considering iOS is JUST getting swipe keyboards, they're pretty far behind.
Old 09-22-2014 at 10:25 AM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Android and iOS are really up to what you want. Android certainly has more features. iOS tends to be more usable. iOS 8 added a huge number of features that brings it more in line with android. Android is about to release a major update (See Android L Preview) that totally redesigns the user interface to make it more intuitive and nicer looking.

To be honest the biggest difference is probably size. iPhone 5 is pretty small. The nexus is larger. Both models have been discontinued (or are about to be). Both will have immediate access to the latest updates. Both should be very cheap ($0 on contract or ~$300 off contract). The nexus is apparently not being built any more and should be dropped in price radically if it follows the tradition of what happened to the nexus 4 when the 5 was about to come out.
Old 09-22-2014 at 08:50 PM   #4
Defroster

Liked: 9 Times

I currently have the Nexus 5 and am pretty happy with it. The camera isn't as great as some of the other phones out on the market but its a trade off for saving some money. But if you aren't taken a million pictures on the weekend or whatever it doesn't really matter. Fingers grossed on google wallet getting Tap and Pay in Canada soon though...
Old 09-22-2014 at 11:04 PM   #5
Loko

Liked: 5 Times

I prefer ios on the iphone over android any day but maybe its because Ive been using it for so long since grade 7 when I had an ipod touch :3. My first phone was actually an android but I just didnt think it was as smooth and as usable as ios was so I switched to Iphone soon after. Maybe it is because you started with an android which is why you are uncertain about ios. I would definitely give ios a chance though just because IMO the smoothness of it is just too good and whoops android. The android gave me a headache
Old 11-13-2014
MiguelSMinnic
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-14-2014 at 10:26 AM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loko View Post
I prefer ios on the iphone over android any day but maybe its because Ive been using it for so long since grade 7 when I had an ipod touch :3. My first phone was actually an android but I just didnt think it was as smooth and as usable as ios was so I switched to Iphone soon after. Maybe it is because you started with an android which is why you are uncertain about ios. I would definitely give ios a chance though just because IMO the smoothness of it is just too good and whoops android. The android gave me a headache
Way to make me feel old. The original iPod came out when I was in grade 6, but I didn't know anybody who had one until grade 8 - and he was the only kid in our grade who had one. The touch didn't come out until I was in grade 12

Anyways, on topic, I also prefer ios, but I have been a Mac user for my entire life, so I find it much more intuitive and comfortable to use.

Kudos likes this.
Old 11-14-2014 at 12:55 PM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I know everyone keeps saying that Android is for more tech-savvy people but I honestly found the newer versions are just as intuitive as iOs, and sometimes easier. If you already have a bunch of Apple accounts and products and are already in their ecosystem then that is up to you to stay, but I found that you get more bang for your buck with Android specs as well so I would recommend the Nexus 5 route.
Old 11-14-2014 at 01:01 PM   #8
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

^ Yea, seriously. Everyone saying Android is hard to use and not intuitive or good looking needs to try out 5.0 on half decent hardware. A Nexus 5 running Lollipop is a fantastic device and should *very* easy to figure out even if you've never used any smartphone before.
Old 11-15-2014 at 02:59 PM   #9
chrisA

Liked: 15 Times

Personally, I prefer iOS, but I'm currently using a Nexus 5 mainly due to cost. I've have had few issues with it, and am really enjoying the Latest 5.0 update.

Comparing the Nexus 5 and iPhone 5c, I would always choose the Nexus. The iPhone 5c is essentially repackaged iPhone 5 hardware, which was introduced a full year prior to the Nexus 5. So you're getting a more modern device, bigger screen (I love the size of the Nexus 5's screen), and at a better price as well.

If I was choosing between the Nexus and the iPhone 6, I would take the iPhone (if I could afford it).
Old 11-15-2014 at 03:14 PM   #10
Loko

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Way to make me feel old. The original iPod came out when I was in grade 6, but I didn't know anybody who had one until grade 8 - and he was the only kid in our grade who had one. The touch didn't come out until I was in grade 12

Anyways, on topic, I also prefer ios, but I have been a Mac user for my entire life, so I find it much more intuitive and comfortable to use.
aha i remember my brother who is now 27 had an ipod nano 1st generation when i was in i think grade 4 or 5. i remember he said it was the most amazing technology ever and that apple was revolutionary with the click wheel. And he also had that sony walkman mini disk before that. lulz good times.
Old 11-22-2014 at 11:53 PM   #11
alexpineda

I have a Nexus 5 and love it. I think either way you will be happy. If you are particularly fond of say ITunes Podcasts which I hear is convenient, then maybe you will miss out on it but overall I think the play store offers enough variation to please almost everyone.
Old 12-03-2014 at 02:36 AM   #12
HaroldNHulsey

i like iPhone 5c
Old 12-03-2014 at 01:44 PM   #13
andy96

Personally I would go with the Nexus 5. I've had an ipod touch (4th gen) for a few years and it was alright but I felt very limited as to what I can do with it. Then I got my first phone which was an Android and love the possibilities I have with it. But really it's up to you. Both are great phones, the Nexus 5 is about to have access to the Lollipop update which I hear is amazing.