MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Nexus 7 Melanieee Computers & Tech 307 10-15-2012 10:33 PM
google nexus s vs lg optimus 2X cjdzl General Discussion 15 08-21-2011 02:34 PM

New Google Nexus 7-2 or Nexus 7: 2nd Gen Thoughts?

Old 07-24-2013 at 12:54 PM   #1
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

New Google Nexus 7-2 or Nexus 7: 2nd Gen Thoughts?
The new 7 inch tablet was announced and it comes with:

-Full HD screen(1920x1200) which is 323 PPI. For those who like to compare PPI - pixels per inch -that's 323 PPI compared to 216 in the original nexus 7. In contrast, the iPad mini with its 7.9-inch screen has a resolution of 1024 x 768 and a 163 PPI.

-Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC quad-core CPU clocked at 1.5 gHz.
-Adreno 320 GPU(same one used in the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone, I believe)

-2GB of ram

-Android 4.3 OS: Jelly Bean

-a 1.2MP front camera and 5MP rear camera

-no microSD card slot :(

The new nexus 7 is 1.8mm thinner, the bezels are 2.75mm smaller, it’s 50 grams lighter.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on the thing? Is it worth upgrading from your current nexus 7? For those looking for their first tablet, would this be it?

MY THOUGHTS:
was kinda hoping it would have the more power Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 800 CPUs, but i guess it would be costly :( , also there were rumors on the internet saying that it would come with 4 GB of ram which is now false :(
Gonna wait to see the results of when this nexus 7-2 gets rooted XD.

What are your thoughts?

**Computer Engineering**
Old 07-24-2013 at 01:19 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I might buy it and give my current nexus 7 to my Dad; he's working with a 70$ cheapo tablet, hehe. Price is pretty damn good. SD card lacking doesn't really affect me because I cloud, and rooting lets you use an external usb flash drive. (+~32-64GB)

lgdynasty likes this.
Old 07-24-2013 at 01:30 PM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Since ur on the topic of Google, any thoughts on the Chromecast unit?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...mecast/#chrome

lgdynasty, mc_kumar like this.
Old 07-24-2013 at 04:01 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
Since ur on the topic of Google, any thoughts on the Chromecast unit?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...mecast/#chrome
I like the price. Even if it isn't the most amazing thing in the world, it's pretty minimalist, cheap, and has potential given its androidness. Comparable to AppleTV or similar media centres. Any idea when it will be available in Canada?

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 07-24-2013 at 04:17 PM   #5
jon.john23
Elite Member

your right, the cost is reasonable at $35, I hope Canadians see the same price. I'm sure developers will find a way to stream your desktop to the TV, instead of just whats in the chrome browser.

Its a much cheaper option to those other wireless HDMI dongles in the market, plus it works from almost any device you have. This is far better than their Nexus Q idea last Google I/0.

They say it'll be here in a couple weeks (Weeks = months). In addition, i think its not just exclusively available thru the Play store, I believe Best Buy will be selling them as well.

Old 07-24-2013 at 04:51 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

My crappy internet cant handle that chromecast.

But yea looking for thoughts on tablet cause my parents were waiting for new one to buy out based on uncles recommendations
Old 07-24-2013 at 05:58 PM   #7
jon.john23
Elite Member

Won't go wrong with the either one of the 7 inches. They have top of the line specs for the price. It's a performer. I know a couple of ppl who have it, none of them have any issues, its gets a little lag once u fill it with apps and the rare freezes, but nothing significant to steel from the otherwise overall flawless performance

lgdynasty likes this.
Old 07-24-2013 at 06:18 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
My crappy internet cant handle that chromecast.

But yea looking for thoughts on tablet cause my parents were waiting for new one to buy out based on uncles recommendations
While I, myself, don't find any issues with the Nexus 7, many people have been complaining about lack of preformance after about a year of heavy usage or with recent android OS updates. Some complain about sluggishness and battery collapse, others are perfectly fine.

Always good to get opposite opinions of something you like or really want to buy. I always type "X sucks" or "X problems" or "X is piece of crap" when deciding to buy a new gadget or not.

click

lgdynasty, mc_kumar all say thanks to RyanC for this post.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 07-24-2013 at 07:55 PM   #9
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

my nexus 7 has been serving me well for the 8 months or so that ive had it. slightly bigger screen size would have been a plus, but for the price you cant really go wrong. I havent had any problems with it so far, so I think its a safe buy.
Old 07-24-2013 at 08:37 PM   #10
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielrus View Post
my nexus 7 has been serving me well for the 8 months or so that ive had it. slightly bigger screen size would have been a plus, but for the price you cant really go wrong. I havent had any problems with it so far, so I think its a safe buy.

Also the insane pixel density. Apparently its the best HD tab in the 7" line up

Danielrus likes this.
Old 07-25-2013 at 07:23 AM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

@OP, not sure why you're sad at no microSD slot. No Nexus device will ever have one to push cloud services.
Old 07-25-2013 at 09:06 AM   #12
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
@OP, not sure why you're sad at no microSD slot. No Nexus device will ever have one to push cloud services.
They have other reasons besides this, most of which stem from the SD card having a file system like FAT32 because most people will use it on Windows.
Old 07-25-2013 at 10:19 AM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
They have other reasons besides this, most of which stem from the SD card having a file system like FAT32 because most people will use it on Windows.
I never said they didn't.
Old 07-25-2013 at 10:43 AM   #14
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I hope that they've fixed the wiring issues that a lot of Nexus 7s had. The wire connecting the battery to the charging port is just a little too short so if you wiggle the port wrong or drop the tablet there is a good chance it will come out and BAM no more charging. I'm glad mine was still under warranty.
Old 07-25-2013 at 12:00 PM   #15
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I never said they didn't.
Pretty diplomatic reply. lol