Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
google nexus s vs lg optimus 2X cjdzl General Discussion 15 08-21-2011 02:34 PM

Google Nexus 7

Old 06-29-2012 at 08:02 AM   #1
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Google Nexus 7
I am leaning toward pre-ordering the Google Nexus 7, and I want to hear what MI has to say about this new device because everyone here often brings up points I wouldn't have thought of.

So here's why I think I want it:

Pros:
-For the 16Gb its $259, beats almost any other tablet, beats iPad by far - so iPad is totally out of the question for me
-I have an Android phone and have been loving the interface and Google Play app store
-Pre-orders are supposed to come with $25 Google Play gift card (cool bonus!)
-Has a micro-USB port - correct me if I am wrong but does this just mean I need an adapter to plug in my regular USB sticks and load my content?
-Front facing camera for Skyping friends and family when I am away from home
-Smaller and lighter than the iPad, WAY lighter than my laptop (which I am now calling a Desktop - because I am leaving it on my desk and not bringing it anywhere)
-Im in Math so I only take notes by hand, so I dont NEED this tablet for note taking, but it is still capable of taking notes for my non-math courses if I want it too - it can also carry my pdf documents of tests and solutions
-I read that the Nexus 7 was made with entertainment in mind, mostly for gaming, books, and music, so apparently it may not be as versitile as an iPad, but I would be buying this mostly as a toy, and I think it has all the functionality of a cool tech toy

Cons:
-Only at 7" screen, but I since I am interested in it being portable and compact, I think this is fair, and still functional
-No back camera - I was suprised, but hey, I have a phone with a great camera, and a digital camera as well! I'll survive and I'm sure I won't miss it
-No expandable memory

Now I'd really like to hear everyone else's opinion!
Old 06-29-2012 at 09:21 AM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

It looks like a great tablet. Check out some hands-on videos on youtube for the tablet... for 200 bucks for the 8GB model, its MORE than enough! Im glad it doesnt have a back camera since that is beyond useless on a tablet.

Also, it comes with 4.1 Jelly Bean so the experience should be awesome all round
Old 06-29-2012 at 09:34 AM   #3
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/31...nexus-7-review

faithcry likes this.
Old 06-29-2012 at 09:51 AM   #4
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Okay yea I really want it! blackdragon you think 8GB is enough?
Old 06-29-2012 at 09:59 AM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Okay yea I really want it! blackdragon you think 8GB is enough?
Melanie,

That really depends on what you'll be using it for and if you have a cloud storage account with Android compatibilities .
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:12 AM   #6
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Melanie,

That really depends on what you'll be using it for and if you have a cloud storage account with Android compatibilities .
Thats a good point. I don't think I would put music on it, since I have a 160GB ipod. I'd be interested in putting movies on the tablet, maybe a few at a time for travel purposes - and delete them once I've watched them.
Id like to use it for documents (which dont take up that much space) - and games too.

2 Questions: Where can I get a cloud account like you mentioned? I don't have one

And, does anyone know how Android is compatible with movie files? Is it as simple as I download one on my laptop, and transfer it over to the tablet? Or does it need to be a certain format etc?
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:17 AM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Thats a good point. I don't think I would put music on it, since I have a 160GB ipod. I'd be interested in putting movies on the tablet, maybe a few at a time for travel purposes - and delete them once I've watched them.
Id like to use it for documents (which dont take up that much space) - and games too.

2 Questions: Where can I get a cloud account like you mentioned? I don't have one

And, does anyone know how Android is compatible with movie files? Is it as simple as I download one on my laptop, and transfer it over to the tablet? Or does it need to be a certain format etc?
You can create a Dropbox account, I haven't used one, but I've heard it works great with Android.

As for file formats for video files, I think it depends on what media player you are using and what codecs are installed (some media players install additional codecs to play additional formats). I personally use MX Player on my Google Nexus S.

Melanieee says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:37 AM   #8
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

So with shipping and taxes the 16gb comes to $312... hmm still very cheap right?
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:40 AM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
So with shipping and taxes the 16gb comes to $312... hmm still very cheap right?
The price tag for the product being cheap or not I think is more of a personal opinion and mine is yes, it is still pretty cheap. I would definitely grab the 16GB over the 8GB simply because of more internal storage seeing as it doesn't allow you to use an SD card (just like the iPad).

EDIT:

I don't see why you would need a back facing camera on a tablet as I thought you'd use it more for video calling which utilizes the front facing camera which it does have. The battery life and quad core processor appeal to me.

Melanieee says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:55 AM   #10
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Oh I deffinitely dont need the back camera, I was just suprised when it didn't have one, because they mostly all do. Battery life looks great, and the screen is really attractive to me.
Also there's alot of hype about the new Android Jelly Bean.

I think I'm going to get it, just have to juggle some finances right now, but if I treat it right it should last me a while
Old 06-29-2012 at 11:12 AM   #11
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

I'm guessing having a 5+ MP camera on the back would have driven the price up more.

Honestly I would go for the 16 GB version, even my 16 GB iPhone is currently full. I wouldn't put music on it which would save a bit, but at the same time I don't have any movies on my phone, which I would want on a tablet.

Meh, wish it had an SD card option, still thinking of jumping on it though, looks to be the best tablet you can get for the price.
Old 06-29-2012 at 12:23 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Oh I deffinitely dont need the back camera, I was just suprised when it didn't have one, because they mostly all do. Battery life looks great, and the screen is really attractive to me.
Also there's alot of hype about the new Android Jelly Bean.

I think I'm going to get it, just have to juggle some finances right now, but if I treat it right it should last me a while
Let us know what you decide on doing and keep us updated !
Old 06-29-2012 at 12:46 PM   #13
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Let us know what you decide on doing and keep us updated !
Sure! Since its pre-order I wont get it until mid-july, but I'll probably decide soon.

Also, the other reason I am a bit hesitant is because 2 weeks ago, my dad shopped around for a tablet and found a really cheap one (a very no-name type of tablet) than ran Android, and I agreed to buy it as a gift for our family to use, a coffe-table type of tablet for quick weather-checking and email sending, it was only $150 and I thought it was a great idea.

3 days later it smashed on the floor thanks to a combo of my cluttered house, and our dog. Broken - no returns - no nothing.

So if I get the Nexus its FOR ME ONLY not my family (I am a little bitter). And since I wasted that money already, that's why I am acting like $312 is too much
Old 06-30-2012 at 09:09 PM   #14
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times

XDA has already hacked it somewhere on their forums so you can hook up a USB stick through the usb port and essentially expand the 8/16gb to 8/16 +64etc

200$ for a portable player that can be customized to my hearts content and with psuedo-expandable memory is a fantastic price point, especially not directly competing with the ipad2/3 and in canada we really dont have a Kindle Fire presence like in the USA
Old 06-30-2012 at 09:32 PM   #15
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomchock View Post
XDA has already hacked it somewhere on their forums so you can hook up a USB stick through the usb port and essentially expand the 8/16gb to 8/16 +64etc
Hacks aren't necessary, as Jelly bean supports USB host be default.
This means you can attach an external hard drive and have terabytes of storage.

I suggest you order it soon while you can, before they get backordered until fiveever.

Desda likes this.