MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Piano or Arabic lessons at/near Mac? Strategy General Discussion 1 07-13-2012 12:14 AM

No Arabic at Mac

Old 07-11-2012 at 10:59 AM   #31
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
PS If you think Hamilton is bad, go to waterloo for a day. i DARE you. you'll become suicidal T_T
I've been to Waterloo many times, and I think for the most part it is better than Hamilton. It doesn't have so much forested area like Hamilton does, but the campus is a lot nicer. They don't have shit like drainage pipes running directly onto the lawns outside buildings, and they have a nice river running through rather than the massive lake of melted snow water that exists in front of JHE for most of the school year.

The best part is businesses actually understand they're right next to a university campus and take advantage of it by offering many restaurants among other things to students. At McMaster we've got a couple fast food places and Fortinos - and that's pretty much it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Pretty sure that "no haters at mac" isnt a personal insult. I go to Mac because I want to be here. I want to be in this city. Every city has its ups and downs, but instead of complaining about it I take the city for what it is. Ive grown to the point that I am more likely to call Hamilton home than my actual home. If you look back, pretty sure there are "personal attacks" coming from the other direction in this thread as well.
Or you can just accept that not everyone has to have your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
@Ownaginatios You say dont justify the schools selection based on what i feel to be a good suggestions? In that case you have no right justifying the school to have a poor selection simply because you feel that it doesnt not either. it goes both ways there
No, I'm looking at it objectively, and you're looking at it subjectively. I know for a fact that the majority of other major universities have a greater selection of electives, and of which actually have seats and run through all terms.

You pretty much insinuated "well, I have no interest in an Arabic course, so it shouldn't matter that McMaster doesn't offer it". Comparing not having that to not having something obviously superfluous like a "Zombie Survival Course" is hardly fair.

RyanC likes this.
Old 07-11-2012 at 11:00 AM   #32
maay29

Liked: 3 Times

Yeah I don't get that, I mean c'mon they've got Hebrew and Latin, Greek, but not Arabic?? That is more prevalent and has the most influence in the world. On so many different languages, yet alone it is rich and amazing! I would love to learn it, but yeah they don't offer it here. Have to check out other places. -_-
Old 07-11-2012 at 11:05 AM   #33
maay29

Liked: 3 Times

I agree, there is a high demand for Arabic. Other universities, like UTm, UTstg, Laurier, have their course enrollment at full capacity. I know many students at MAc who want Arabic, not just Arabic speakers but various other students like myself who don't speak it but would love to learn it. It's an awesome language!
Old 07-11-2012 at 11:08 AM   #34
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

On subject, it's saddening when there's space in a course but you can't get in due to permission restrictions. Or when it's a course in your program/faculty and you can't get in because there aren't enough seats.

I did a field course at UofT, and while they do have a lot of 'full courses', they also have a rather extensive range to choose from.

More variety would be really nice.

We don't have any environmental chemistry courses, for instance, and that would be pretty cool.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-11-2012 at 11:30 AM   #35
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Its hard for a university to satisfy every students desires in terms of course selection. As previously stated we are not one of the larger universities around here. McMaster specializes in health sciences and engineering. So yes more money will be going towards those. McMaster simply does not have the means to provide all these different courses that people would like to take. Again this comes down to possibly seeking an education elsewhere if the courses you want to take are not offered at mac.