MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Copy of my acceptance letter?? MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-19-2010 04:03 PM
Credit Cards lorend Misc 0 11-15-2007 12:17 AM

No More Copy Cards

Old 07-16-2010 at 11:11 AM   #1
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

No More Copy Cards
Just thought I'd share this with anyone who has yet to receive their registration package from McMaster yet.

Per a memo that came with my sticker and registration information McMaster will no longer be using copy cards for photocopying and printing on campus.

The same information can be found here:

http://printsmart.mcmaster.c a/students/

I personally do not use the printers/copiers on campus that used to require print cards so this doesn't really affect me but I thought other people who use this service might be interested in the new system they will be using when school is back on.

There is also a vaguely worded warning of some sort on the page that says although they will transfer credits to the new system from your current card you might not want to charge your card up too much closer to the transition date. I think they're just telling you it will be useless b/c you can just put it on your new card.

It also mentions something about electronic submission for printing.

mc_kumar says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:17 AM   #2
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

What exactly is it being replaced by? It's not very specific :|
I didnt use them either last year, but I was on-campus and now I'm off, so I'd probably want to.
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:23 AM   #3
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Always hated those copy/print cards. But ya I'm wondering what they're replacing it with too exactly

If only Undergrounds was open for longer hours XD, but either way Undergrounds is still the way to go as far as I'm concerned
Old 07-16-2010 at 12:10 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its being replaced by you having to input your MacID and password.
Old 07-16-2010 at 03:34 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Oh, this should be much better. Copy cards were such a rip off - fives dollars just so I can get overcharged for each sheet?

I was thinking of using the on campus printers this year. Its worth it for not killing my poor printer again, especially for docs and articles.
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:57 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

It was sort of misleading, does that mean it gets charged to our student account or what?
Old 07-17-2010 at 12:28 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
It was sort of misleading, does that mean it gets charged to our student account or what?
In the mail they sent us it says:

Quote:
McMaster University is adopting a new online copier/printer management system. Now, instead of using copier cards, you will be accessing an online account using your MacID and password. (To activate or renew your MacID, please go to: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /CIS/UD4031)

For returning students who have value on existing cards, you will be able to transfer this balance to your new account during the first few weeks of the new term. For more information please visit our website (printsmart.mcmaster. ca/students).
Old 07-17-2010 at 12:40 AM   #8
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

This, unlike the banning of personal fridges, is a smart idea!

Ish001 likes this.
Old 07-18-2010 at 06:26 AM   #9
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Anybody know if we can transfer the left over money on our copy cards online?

Old 07-18-2010 at 10:28 AM   #10
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
In the mail they sent us it says:

"For returning students who have value on existing cards, you will be able to transfer this balance to your new account during the first few weeks of the new term. For more information please visit our website (printsmart.mcmaster. ca/students). "
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:21 AM   #11
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

The system is Equitrac. I was just watching this vid here: http://testweb.mcmaster.ca/SITES/printsmart/Site/cpvideo.html

Some points:

- You now send your file to be printed to a server instead of a specific printer. So now you can print from home, work, anywhere off campus I guess and go to any printer on campus to print out your copy.

- Your student account is not used for funds. Its a separate cash management system. (online credit card system or you can use cash at the library front desk to add $ to your account.

- Scanning no cost. Printing: B&W - $0.10 , $0.09 DS; Color - $0.25 SS, $0.23 DS. No change basically. (SS= single sided, DS= double sided)

marieeeeeee says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:39 AM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
The system is Equitrac. I was just watching this vid here: http://testweb.mcmaster.ca/SITES/printsmart/Site/cpvideo.html

Some points:

- You now send your file to be printed to a server instead of a specific printer. So now you can print from home, work, anywhere off campus I guess and go to any printer on campus to print out your copy.

- Your student account is not used for funds. Its a separate cash management system. (online credit card system or you can use cash at the library front desk to add $ to your account.

- Scanning no cost. Printing: B&W - $0.10 , $0.09 DS; Color - $0.25 SS, $0.23 DS. No change basically. (SS= single sided, DS= double sided)
I've never printed before so I was just wondering... Do you have to pay for each side when you print double sided? It just doesn't make sense that it's cheaper than single sided. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2010 at 04:34 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Im glad they're getting rid of the copy cards. I can't count how many times I've recharged it with toonies and loonies, just for it to say that it was empty.

And somehow mine currently has 19 cents. I dont even know how thats possible, since Ive never printed double sided.
Old 07-18-2010 at 06:03 PM   #14
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I've never printed before so I was just wondering... Do you have to pay for each side when you print double sided? It just doesn't make sense that it's cheaper than single sided. Thanks.
You do have to pay for each side when you print double sided.

jhan523 says thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 07-31-2010 at 02:21 AM   #15
Karthiga

Liked: 2 Times

I'm glad you can pay by cash lol i was wondering about that cus i don't have a credit card ...is there any activation you have to do? Just wondering