MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remembrance day ceremonies??? macculkin General Discussion 27 11-12-2009 11:13 PM
Remembrance Day sinthusized General Discussion 3 11-10-2008 01:01 PM
REMEMBRANCE DAY poppies Chad General Discussion 3 11-02-2007 10:05 AM

No Remembrance Day off???

Old 11-08-2010 at 09:21 PM   #16
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbs View Post
yeah...and then they stole civic holiday from us...
damn them!
The civic holiday was never a stat day. They can't "steal" something we never had
Old 11-08-2010 at 09:43 PM   #17
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
No, we haven't had remembrance day off in a while.
I bet most of you guys just want it off so you can play games or get drunk.
Most of you probably don't even have a damn poppy.
Right, because wearing a poppy actually does anything for anyone.

With that logic, wearing a poppy while playing games and getting drunk on Remembrance day would cancel out and be the same as someone who didn't do either.
Old 11-08-2010 at 09:58 PM   #18
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Right, because wearing a poppy actually does anything for anyone.

With that logic, wearing a poppy while playing games and getting drunk on Remembrance day would cancel out and be the same as someone who didn't do either.
What the hell? You don't wear a poppy for aesthetic appearances.
It's suppose to go to funds for the needy veterans that are basically forgotten.

And what logic are you talking about? I was saying the least you could do is support the cause, but I'm guessing you don't.
Old 11-08-2010 at 10:12 PM   #19
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
What the hell? You don't wear a poppy for aesthetic appearances.
It's suppose to go to funds for the needy veterans that are basically forgotten.

And what logic are you talking about? I was saying the least you could do is support the cause, but I'm guessing you don't.
If someone wanted to donate, they would donate. Buying a poppy and then wearing it for a week doesn't do anything different than someone donating money.

It's just one of those ways to make people show/think that they're helping.

Maybe this year I'll donate some money, or maybe I won't. But you won't see me wearing a poppy in either case because it's not going to change anything whether I do or don't.
Old 11-08-2010 at 10:17 PM   #20
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
If someone wanted to donate, they would donate. Buying a poppy and then wearing it for a week doesn't do anything different than someone donating money.

Maybe this year I'll donate some money, or maybe I won't. But you won't see me wearing a poppy in either case because it's not going to change anything whether I do or don't.
I never said anything about wearing a poppy. I said "having" a poppy as in purchasing one, which indirectly means contributing or donating. I could care less if you wore the poppy or not, you're right, wearing it means nothing.

But just remember, it's the veterans that bled for this country that Canada exists. Moreso, that immigrants, and future generations can live here.
Old 11-08-2010 at 10:18 PM   #21
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:

It raises and continues awareness.

Stop trying to reduce things to 'slactivist' status.
Old 11-08-2010 at 10:32 PM   #22
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

Dude, I totally just realized who you were. I thought RyanC was someone else, and was like "Hmm, I know another Ryan C". But you just changed your name.
Old 11-08-2010 at 11:01 PM   #23
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
I never said anything about wearing a poppy. I said "having" a poppy as in purchasing one, which indirectly means contributing or donating. I could care less if you wore the poppy or not, you're right, wearing it means nothing.

But just remember, it's the veterans that bled for this country that Canada exists. Moreso, that immigrants, and future generations can live here.
Okay, fair enough - yeah, having a poppy does something, but as we've said wearing one doesn't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

If you truly believe that, then go for it.

I was under the impression that most people aren't retarded (yes, in the mentally challenged way) or so new to Canada that they don't know what Remembrance Day is.

Raising awareness really doesn't mean anything when you take into context who you're raising awareness to in this situation. You're trying to raise awareness to students who are well aware of Remembrance day and who aren't going to change their charity donations based on some pin that they see other people wearing.
Old 11-08-2010 at 11:44 PM   #24
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

I don't see the point in having an official day off for remembrance day cause i have a feeling people are going to just ignore the meaning of remembrance day and just think of the day as a free fun day. I think its good the way it is right now.

Kathy2 likes this.
Old 11-09-2010 at 08:05 PM   #25
smarties13

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
No, we haven't had remembrance day off in a while.
I bet most of you guys just want it off so you can play games or get drunk.
Most of you probably don't even have a damn poppy.
arent you first year....a while?!?!
Old 11-09-2010 at 08:53 PM   #26
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties13 View Post
arent you first year....a while?!?!
Remembrance Day used to be a stat holiday in Ontario a long time ago (until around the early 1980's or something).

Most of us (university students, like 17-29 years old) have never had Remembrance Day off. The only people in Ontario who still have the day off on Nov 11 are some government offices.
Old 11-09-2010 at 09:57 PM   #27
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Remembrance day is still a stat in 9 out of 13 provinces/territories (MB, ON, QC and NS are the only ones its not a stat in). Growing up in BC, we always had school / work ceremonies on November 10th (or the Friday before a weekend if Nov 11 was on the weekend), and many people would go to the public ceremonies at the Legion or city hall on November 11th. I know many students and families who did take the day to remember those who fought for us and also to celebrate what we have because of their sacrifice. I know we often got up at 730am to watch the Ottawa ceremonies live on TV before heading to a local ceremony later in the day.

I don't reasonably see how making it a stat reduces the likeliness that people will actively participate in remembering. Instead, I think it gives a lot more opportunity for younger generations to participate in ceremonies at Legions and at city hall and to actually interact with veterans from throughout our history. If the importance of remembrance is passed to younger generations through one on one interaction, rather than speeches by dignitaries, I believe it would have a much greater impact. With that increased impact, I think worries about university students taking the day to get trashed would simply not materialize as a realistic problem.
Old 11-09-2010 at 10:21 PM   #28
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

not a big fan of patrioism in general, just one more way for the government to control us; quite despicable. It's more of what have you done for me lately tbh, that being said i wouldn't say no to day off, any down time is appreciated.

*that being said, I still have a huge amount of respect for my elders and if i saw a veteran i would definitely express my gratitude if only to put a smile on their face.