MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks exuberant888 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2010 08:00 PM
Textbooks Qadd Academics 2 08-02-2010 12:19 PM
Want $150 to help pay for textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 49 03-22-2009 09:32 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

No Textbooks?

Old 09-03-2009 at 12:48 AM   #1
Keenu

Liked: 15 Times

No Textbooks?
Hi.
I cant buy my textbooks till a week after I get my osap money (the 17th)..which is also a week after classes start. Is there a way i can negotiate the date i get my osap? Are textbooks available in the libraries?
I can't ask my parents for money so that isnt an option either.. let me know what you think =D
Thanks.
Old 09-03-2009 at 12:52 AM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Hmm, I'm not sure about the OSAP but I'm sure somebody else can assist you with that.
I'd go and talk to the professors before school starts. Ask if there is a copy with them that you can borrow and photocopy the first readings. Offer to leave something behind as collateral but I'm sure if you're sincere most of them will be okay with it.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Keenu says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 09-03-2009 at 12:53 AM   #3
stevennn
Pro Lurker.

Liked: 19 Times

You can pay with your student card and the cost gets put on your student account.

Keenu says thanks to stevennn for this post.
Old 09-03-2009 at 12:54 AM   #4
Keenu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevennn View Post
You can pay with your student card and the cost gets put on your student account.
really:S.... but that means I can't buy the textbooks from outside titles?
Old 09-03-2009 at 12:54 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenu View Post
Hi.
I cant buy my textbooks till a week after I get my osap money (the 17th)..which is also a week after classes start. Is there a way i can negotiate the date i get my osap? Are textbooks available in the libraries?
I can't ask my parents for money so that isnt an option either.. let me know what you think =D
Thanks.
Books will still be available. If you talk to upper years you can probably get them to hold onto their books to sell to you when you have the money.

It's up to the professor to put textbooks on reserve for their students. I think they often do though.

You won't be able to negotiate your OSAP date and you should also note that a direct deposit can take up to 2 weeks.

Keenu says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 09-03-2009 at 12:55 AM   #6
Keenu

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure about the OSAP but I'm sure somebody else can assist you with that.
I'd go and talk to the professors before school starts. Ask if there is a copy with them that you can borrow and photocopy the first readings. Offer to leave something behind as collateral but I'm sure if you're sincere most of them will be okay with it.
and bushra...where would i look for the proffessors?
Old 09-03-2009 at 12:58 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenu View Post
and bushra...where would i look for the proffessors?
You can find professors via Master Timetable

Then you would have to find each professor within the department sites. Usually they are under faculty or staff or something like that.

Keenu says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 09-03-2009 at 12:59 AM   #8
Keenu

o okay..thanks so much guyz..i thought i would already behind in my first week of university!
Old 09-03-2009 at 01:00 AM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Then just feel free to email them (I just Google the name and "McMaster" and their contact information pops up without having to open a seperate link most of the time).
I found out that my book for Stats 1L03 may be delivered 1 week after class starts so I have to make do in that time somehow
If I were you, I'd try scanning them instead of photocopying them. If you have a laptop this may make things easier rather than spending a lot of money on binding + printing costs etc.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-03-2009 at 01:05 AM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Here you go Kinzu
http://libcat.mcmaster.ca/

I just looked up my Stats book on that and I'll see what I can do about photocopying parts of it Maybe there's a way to place them on hold

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-03-2009 at 01:09 AM   #11
Keenu

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Here you go Kinzu
http://libcat.mcmaster.ca/

I just looked up my Stats book on that and I'll see what I can do about photocopying parts of it Maybe there's a way to place them on hold

ahhaha omg..no one has EVER called me Kinzu...ppl go with teenu or kinja even -_- ...but kinzu is definitely a first
Old 09-03-2009 at 01:10 AM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Unless I'm super busy I try to visit Profiles and address people by their first names Seems a bit more personal when you try and help

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Keenu says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 09-03-2009 at 01:11 AM   #13
Keenu

it is..thanks so much...
i'm heading down to mac anyways tomoro..
8 a.m. training -_- ..yay... so i think i'll go creep out profs and ask if i scan the material they'll be teaching.=D

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 09-03-2009 at 01:14 AM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Good luck
I hope it all works out and if they're a bit hard, you can always rely on the library

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-03-2009 at 01:18 AM   #15
Keenu

inshallah i shall.
okay im off to bed.. hope to meet u nxt week!
bye<3

camais, goodnews.inc like this.