MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No More Copy Cards sew12 Computers & Tech 19 08-03-2010 12:08 AM
Landlords Wasting Students' Time Greco General Discussion 25 08-05-2009 11:03 AM
Mean Landlords ferreinm General Discussion 14 07-08-2008 09:48 AM

Is it normal for landlords to ask for a copy of your id?

Old 03-10-2011 at 10:52 PM   #1
thdms9211

Liked: 0 Times

Is it normal for landlords to ask for a copy of your id?
He asked for a photocopy/scan of my student ID. Do other landlords also do this? Thanks
Old 03-10-2011 at 11:23 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

It's not normal, but it's not absurd... These are typically "student houses." It (somewhat) proves you're a student.
Would you rather them ask for your T2202 or the real paper from the Office of the Registrar?

The prices for these rooms are really cheap compared to any apartment you could get downtown. Perfect area for drug dealers/"sketchy" people.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-10-2011 at 11:27 PM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

My last two landlords didn't.

The one from the house I'm about to rent just asked for some form of ID and that just a student number works too. He also asked for emergency contact info. I didn't really question it...
Old 03-10-2011 at 11:34 PM   #4
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Some probably do, but that doesn't mean its a good idea to let him have it. You generally shouldn't allow people to have a scan / photocopy of your student ID unless they're a legitimate government agency and/or work for McMaster (and thus are subject to various privacy laws). The knowledge of your student number plus a little bit of information about you is more than enough for someone to get various private personal information about you from the school. Unless you trust your landlord to the point you think they'd never ever do anything nefarious to you, you should not allow them to have a copy of your student id.
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:21 AM   #5
keish

Liked: 9 Times

If it's to prove you're a student you can always put a piece of paper over the student number and photocopy it. It's not like he actually needs the student number to check that you're a student. Just tell him you aren't comfortable giving out the actual number.
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:40 PM   #6
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

You can definitely blurred out the important numbers.

Hamilton Student Housing also require proof of Student.

Quote:
Evidence of being a full-time student. Any two of the following is acceptable:
  • Current ID card from school
  • Statement from the registrar
  • Notification of acceptance for the following year
http://www.hamilton.ca/HealthandSoci...cationInfo.htm
Old 03-11-2011 at 01:26 PM   #7
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Naw, it ain't normal brah...