MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to do normal and binomial vectors on matlab? jon.john23 Academics 2 01-29-2012 04:01 PM
Is it normal for landlords to ask for a copy of your id? thdms9211 General Discussion 6 03-11-2011 01:26 PM
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM

Is it normal to not receive ANY updates re: status of Nursing application?

Old 06-29-2014 at 02:35 PM   #1
ViperMountain

Liked: 0 Times

Is it normal to not receive ANY updates re: status of Nursing application?
Recent McMaster B.Sc graduate here. I applied to the Bachelor of Science Nursing (Accelerated) program back in January (to begin Fall 2014), and I still haven't heard ANY word on the status of my application. I understand that my chances of getting into the program are slim-to-none at this point in time, considering that offers started rolling out at the beginning of April, and we're nearing the end of June (thus I have made alternate academic/work plans). Still, it just doesn't sit right with me that I have been kept out of the loop for 3+ months. All I know is that I haven't been accepted OR rejected.

I emailed Vicki Benedetti (Admissions Coordinator) about this at the end of April, and she informed me that they were still in the process of sending out offers, and that any rejection notifications/emails would be sent out at the beginning of May. So I've kept an eye out ever since, and I haven't received any such rejection email (yet). Good sign, right?

Well, the waiting game has continued, with no end in sight. I emailed her again last week, and haven't gotten a response.

I am just wondering
(a) if anyone else out there is/has been in this position (this can't be normal, right??),
(b) what can I do (if anything... I'm just so sick of twiddling my thumbs), and
(c) am I right in thinking that this is completely unacceptable? I should have received SOME type of update by now. I think it's only fair that I be notified of rejection so that I can officially move forward with my alternate academic plans. Sadly, nursing was my first choice.

Any input much appreciated.

Last edited by ViperMountain : 06-29-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-29-2014 at 04:02 PM   #2
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Well. I got a letter a week ago saying I didn't get accepted because 'the program became full". LOL I don't even know wtf that means. I submitted everything super early and my grades were stellar.

The longer it takes for you to hear, the more likely it will be a 'no'. Have you applied to other schools? I'm asking this because frankly, I don't get how these admissions folk make their decisions.

And yes, this is unacceptable. Your status should have been updated a while ago. Do not call the nursing folks. They are short-tempered and will be EASILY bothered if you call more than once just to ask about your status. They're going to tell you that you have already asked them before and you should wait and stop calling them (trust me, you wouldn't want to hear how they'll say it). They'll then start telling you how they want the best applicants and had millions of applicants - well guess what, other schools want the best applicants too. I don't get who in the world they think they are.

You should have accepted another offer a while ago. When a school drags this process for more than half a year, you should know its time to move on.
Old 06-29-2014 at 11:19 PM   #3
ViperMountain

Ugh, this whole thing is just ridiculous... "the program became full" wtf? I'm genuinely curious to figure out what their bullshit selection criteria is. I also submitted everything on time, my grades were fantastic, I had almost 2 years of research experience in molecular biology under my belt and 2+ years volunteer experience at a women's shelter. I put a lot of thought into my supplementary application and I was so proud of it... I honestly don't know what could've made my application any stronger. Maybe I should have volunteered specifically at a hospital, or gone on a voluntourism trip to Guatemala or something.

I lost hope at the end of April, this is just me being petty and wanting closure. I only applied to McMaster, like an idiot (that's how confident I was with my application). I've done some soul-searching since then, and I'm now leaning towards taking a couple months off and pursuing my Masters instead. Ironic how I think I'll have a better chance getting into a Masters program than nursing lol (which just seems like a lottery at this point).

Thank you for your advice! I definitely won't be calling the nursing folks.
Old 06-30-2014 at 12:25 AM   #4
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Who cares, if you paid the stupid OUAC fees you might as well call them and annoy the crap out of them by this point as it probably won't matter (lol).

I have heard from EVERY single school by mid May and yes that includes very good schools (definitely better than Mac) like Queen's and McGill.

I would also like to add, for the heck of it, that Ms. Trfunski (or whatever her name is) doesn't really know her stuff. First she tells me I should definitely hear back in late April to early May, then I call by early May and she tells me to wait longer - I ask until what date or month and she says 'I don't know'. I call someone else at nursing and they tell me its Mid May to late May. And the next thing you know its actually late June when they start to let people finally know.

They are clearly not the most organized people.

Last edited by Phoneup : 06-30-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-08-2014 at 09:47 AM   #5
ViperMountain

Quick update for any curious lurkers... I finally called Vicki Benedetti this morning and I'm on the waitlist. Apparently a couple more offers will be sent out by email this week, and refusals will be sent out towards the end of this week and into next week.

EDIT: Just got the email this afternoon... I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED!!!!! I was seriously not expecting that. What a rollercoaster!

Last edited by ViperMountain : 07-11-2014 at 03:02 PM.