MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used But Not Bruised Notebooks temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 8 08-08-2008 10:48 PM
50 Notebooks Project Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 3 11-10-2007 09:40 AM

Notebooks

Old 08-23-2010 at 04:49 AM   #1
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Notebooks
So before I buy end up buying notebooks I don't need, do any of you have an idea as to how big (number of pages) they should be?

Keep in mind, that I'm going to using the notebooks to rewrite lecture notes (which will be scribbled down on loose leaf paper), so there is little need for ripping pages out and whatnot.

This question applies to 3-unit and 6- unit courses.

P.S these are the regular Hilroy spiral notebooks.
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:00 AM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I'd say the 200 page one, and you'll probably need two of those for a 6 unit class. However, it does depend on the class and how much notes you take.
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:27 AM   #3
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

My 6 unit class is World Religons, so for that I was thinking a 5 subject notebook, and 200 page notebooks for the rest?
Old 08-23-2010 at 09:38 AM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I use 150-page notebooks for all of my classes, and I usually have room left over. It depends how much you write, though.
Old 08-23-2010 at 09:49 AM   #5
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I only use 80 page notebooks and end up having room left over, it really depes on how big your writing is and if you are going to be writing everything down or just what you think is important.
Old 08-23-2010 at 11:52 AM   #6
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

80 page? that's insanely small. Maybe it has to do with your courses?

I have all Humanities courses, with one social science.I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of writing, but from what I gather, 200 pageshould be fne.
Old 08-23-2010 at 12:37 PM   #7
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
80 page? that's insanely small. Maybe it has to do with your courses?

I have all Humanities courses, with one social science.I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of writing, but from what I gather, 200 pageshould be fne.
I did all humanities classes last year, and used a 5 subject notebook. Each subject took up less than 1 section, And I had all kinds of room to use for my summer school classes as well. It does depend on the courses though, whether or not notes are posted online, and what kind of handouts you get from the profs.
Old 08-23-2010 at 01:07 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

80 Pages, 120 Pages, and 200 Pages. Buy a couple of each. Some subjects will only require 80 pages (or less), some will require 200 pages (or more)

AelyaS says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:28 PM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I use 80s, and I write big in them, make lovely diagrams and make the most damn detailed notes you'll ever see.

I've done science and humanities classes, and my science classes, esspecially chem, tend to take more space (chem needed 2 and 1.5 for the year, math was 1 exactly, the others had a good few left at the end). Probably because you can summarize a sentence, but not a diagram (not the same degree, anyway).
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:34 PM   #10
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I use 80s, and I write big in them, make lovely diagrams and make the most damn detailed notes you'll ever see.

I've done science and humanities classes, and my science classes, esspecially chem, tend to take more space (chem needed 2 and 1.5 for the year, math was 1 exactly, the others had a good few left at the end). Probably because you can summarize a sentence, but not a diagram (not the same degree, anyway).
do you recommend notebooks for science courses or is the notes that you print off good enough? assuming there is space to write stuff on the print notes
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:36 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
do you recommend notebooks for science courses or is the notes that you print off good enough? assuming there is space to write stuff on the print notes
I very much prefer writing all over the notes the prof posts online. I have a notebook for practise problems, review notes, and in case I don't have the notes printed out for that day.
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:49 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I like to carve out notes onto my body. I'm literally a walking encyclopedia!

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-23-2010 at 07:18 PM   #13
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:

I tend write out my own, using the textbook because i don't trust lecture notes and I don't memorize well if its printed off for me like that, its better if I write it out again and read it over. I only use them when its not in the textbook, the lecture notes are amazing (rare) or something.

I add stuff to lecture notes in lecture, but then I rarely use them again, unless there is something explained really well in there. But mostly my notes are textbook based, with additions from the lecture if there are any. At the end of the year I have a nice book (literally) to read, lol. I keep them too, just because they take a lot of work and are good for reference once I process them and add chapter markers and things.

But my methods takes a lot of time and dedication, and I doubt you would want to do it. I'm just used to it (so I'm pretty quick/efficient) so it doesn't bother me.

Even for a course like Biochem 2EE3, which I'm taking this year - most people say the slides are exactly what's needed to the point that is text is basically useless, I plan to take lecture notes and then supplement it with the text before copying it over.

tl;dr, so, Basic Rule: Don't rely on one source of information, that's just asking to be pwned. Whether you use lecture notes or notebooks is a personal choice, just don't rely on one source - its lazy, never going to be enough except when you get lucky and is pretty exactly what two major disciplines (Sciences, and History - I can't speak for the others) preach not to do.

And stop worry about notebooks, binders and stupid things like that. You'll get into it in a week or two and you'll know what works best by figuring things out for yourself.

Last edited by britb : 08-23-2010 at 07:29 PM.