MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nuclear Medicine? hashwa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-08-2014 07:58 PM
Japan's Nuclear Boy Ardougne Politics 8 03-19-2011 02:55 PM
Fallout: New Vegas - Awesome or Not? AdelaisAer Gaming 28 01-02-2011 01:20 PM
1950's song from Fallout New Vegas - Help? AdelaisAer Music 2 12-13-2010 09:01 PM

Nuclear fallout shelters

Old 01-30-2015 at 09:37 AM   #1
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Nuclear fallout shelters
So today's emergency testing got me thinking about how pointless it is.

Really the only case when a campus-wide siren would be useful is when there's some sort of risk of the nuclear reactor going.... well, nuclear.... So what is the point of that siren exactly? There's no nuclear fallout bunker on campus, nor is there any radiation shielded rooms. Neither are we told what to do in situation like that.

Chad likes this.
Old 01-30-2015 at 10:15 AM   #2
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

not really.. The possibilities are endless:

1) Alien invasion
2) World war 3 bombing
3) Terrorist threat
4) Bomb threat
5) Biohazard
6) Warnings about natural disasters
7) Hostage Situation
8) Suicide bomber

Chad likes this.
Old 01-30-2015
ralts40(2)
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-30-2015 at 07:42 PM   #3
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
So today's emergency testing got me thinking about how pointless it is.

Really the only case when a campus-wide siren would be useful is when there's some sort of risk of the nuclear reactor going.... well, nuclear.... So what is the point of that siren exactly? There's no nuclear fallout bunker on campus, nor is there any radiation shielded rooms. Neither are we told what to do in situation like that.
I used to work part time for security so I can answer your question.

The siren is primarily meant for when there's an active shooter on campus. (i.e. crazy guy running around with a gun.)

When the siren is activated the display screens through out campus, and the background of campus computers will have instructions of what to do. You can also sign up for the emergency texting system and you will receive text messages of what to do.

Also if you want to know what to do in an emergency you can check out the emergency guide book here. (It also includes what to do in the event of a nuclear emergency to satisfy your curiosity.)

Last edited by collinbf : 01-30-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Chad likes this.
Old 01-30-2015 at 08:58 PM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
The siren is primarily meant for when there's an active shooter on campus. (i.e. crazy guy running around with a gun.)
Does the service tell me where the guy is, so I can avoid him much easier?
Old 01-30-2015 at 09:17 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Does the service tell me where the guy is, so I can avoid him much easier?
I believe that is what the text messages, display screens and backgrounds of the campus computers are for.
Old 01-30-2015 at 11:39 PM   #6
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
I believe that is what the text messages, display screens and backgrounds of the campus computers are for.
Okay, I feel safer already. Still kinda weird there are no fallout shelters. I mean, come on we need a local Vault.
Old 04-21-2015 at 03:53 PM   #7
hydraulix

Liked: 0 Times

Probably wouldn't be big enough to fit everyone anyways haha. I'd just run as far and as fast as I can! =D (in the event of a nuclear disaster)
Old 04-21-2015 at 04:38 PM   #8
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Okay, I feel safer already. Still kinda weird there are no fallout shelters. I mean, come on we need a local Vault.
I heard a rumor that the Tank used to be a shelter....