MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
student number? mimi8330 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-08-2011 11:55 AM
number of courses to take kwyhan Academics 1 08-12-2010 10:36 PM
Number of Minors myoozik General Discussion 28 06-21-2009 10:48 PM
SIN Number? Ruggedman Academics 2 07-04-2008 09:20 AM

Number Theory or QM?

Old 06-07-2015 at 03:50 PM   #1
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Number Theory or QM?
So, I am taking 3 courses in the summer and as I have some free space, am deciding between minoring in math, or just taking some courses in physics in quantum mechanics(wont have 27 credits to minor in physics). So, I am in Chem Eng and management, and I am straying quiet a bit away from chem eng in pursuing both of these courses.

I know how to get to quantum physics at this point, Eng Phys 2qm3, Phys 3mm3 and phys 4F03 to get complete knowledge on QM offered at Mac. No minor, nothing. Just out of pure interest.

Second option: Follow number theory path. Passion for math. Straight As in all math till now. Always loved math, always will. Can get a minor as well. Dont know courses focusing on number theory.

Should I pursue one definitive path, or just mix both of the fields, and take some QM and some math courses? Is getting a minor in math worth it for an engineer? Thanks.

If any math or physics scholar who has taken some of these courses or followed one of the two paths, comment on the courses(Especially number theory, what courses to take and stuff.. Will be done till 2zz3 by the start of September)? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2015 at 02:12 AM   #2
Saryn

Liked: 0 Times

Try math 1c03, you start off learning basic number theory or as Dr. Haskell calls it "baby number theory". Though the course focuses on proofs, you will learn a lot of fascinating things in math that calculus and linear algebra don't cover. You will come across concepts like prime numbers, prime gaps, fields of numbers, MODULAR ARITHMETIC (every number theorist's love lol) and fermat's little theorem! If you like that, then take upper year algebra courses which lead into algebraic number theory and stuff like k-theory. Math 3h03 (num. theory) requires at least 12 units in math. I hope everything goes well with which ever path you choose!
Funny thing is that the Riemann zeta function which you would associate with num. theory can be applied to quantum mechanical systems!