MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
McMaster nursing 2010 admission average?! If you have been accepted...please answer! memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-24-2010 03:25 PM
CPR course for nursing? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-18-2010 07:31 PM

Nursing 2010

Old 04-27-2010 at 09:43 AM   #1
Mair

Liked: 0 Times

Nursing 2010
Hi.

I was wondering if there are any other packages I should expect for my Nursing Level 1 program after I received my package of offers. I gave my acceptance to nursing at the end of february.

I'm thinking that I should get more information regarding immunization, police record check etc..

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010 at 09:56 AM   #2
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

I'm pretty sure you don't....

Nurses don't start hospital placement until 2nd year. You are getting a little bit ahead of yourself lol. How I know this? I'm very close friends with a Nurse lol.

But any nursing student feel free to correct me
Old 04-27-2010 at 10:01 AM   #3
Mair

My offer package said that I would get more information about immunization requirements after I accepted the offer. I e-mailed someone from nursing about that but I didn't get an answer for about a week. That's why I'm a bit confused.
Old 04-27-2010 at 12:03 PM   #4
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

You will receive a package this summer. It will contain documentation for immunizations and police check. Even though first year students don't go out to clinical in hospitals in first year, you will take a community service course and be volunteering with a community organization and for this you will need your immunizations and police check. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2010 at 01:01 PM   #5
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Yes, you'll need to get everything done (Immunizations along with the medical clearance, TB test, police check, CPR and Mask Fit Testing)... so keep it in mind, start to work on things now, like your cpr and checking yourself that your immunizations are up to date.
From hearing experiences this year, its better to do it all through the school nurse because if you go to do your TB test and med clearance at your doctor it can turn out to be way more complicated if they don't do it exactly the right way.

but you will receive more information throughout the summer. But those are the things you will need to do.
Mohawk College offers the CPR you need, its CPR for health care provider level.
Old 04-27-2010 at 02:54 PM   #6
davisae4

Liked: 1 Time

you'll get a welcome package with everything.
this most likely will not have the forms in it though. police forms and letters are posted online, although i'm not sure where they will be posted for new intake because we're switching communication platforms (no more elm!). the health clearance is available from the school nurse (as stated above). i am momac so ours is at either mohawk campus.
once you get the form done for health clearance, only the tb test usually gets updated yearly.
once you come in september, you'll get most of the information you'll need though (like book lists, contact info, etc). you'll have time to get it all done then.
Old 04-27-2010 at 04:15 PM   #7
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Yeah they're just changing it this year that TB testing is to be done annually now instead of every 2 years...

as well your CPR needs to be kept up to date, might want to check into it though because we still haven't been confirmed whether we can just do a CPR renewal every other year between doing the full CPR course every other year or not...

and I'm pretty sure police check has to be done annually as well
Old 04-27-2010 at 05:00 PM   #8
nicole.h

Yep police checks need to be done annually, as well as TB skin test, CPR, and mask fit training.

I'm not sure if it has changed since I started first year (four years ago), but there was time during the school year to get everything up to date. Although it was a pain to have to do it during the school year, so I would recommend to try and have it all done prior to coming to Mac, if possible.
Old 04-27-2010 at 05:56 PM   #9
davisae4

mask fit is every 2 years.
Old 04-28-2010 at 12:08 PM   #10
Mair

Thanks everyone. I feel better knowing what to expect.