MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer student trying to get courses planned.. ayalew29 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-10-2011 07:21 PM
Fining out what's planned for next year? britb Academics 4 11-23-2010 09:09 PM
Obama giving in to FISA Chad Politics 5 07-20-2008 02:55 PM
Changes planned for MacInsiders! Chad ARCHIVES 0 02-08-2007 09:38 AM

Obama, in support of Planned Parenthood

Old 04-03-2012 at 01:39 PM   #1
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Obama, in support of Planned Parenthood

Woot! He 1) reminded people about health (cancer) screening that planned parenthood does, and 2) didn't avoid the topic of women's right to choose when/if to have children.

Also, was wondering, are there ever any public protests/picketing against clinics that provide contraception and/or perform abortions in Hamilton?

Last edited by Amaryll : 04-03-2012 at 03:36 PM.

apples12, Lois like this.
Old 04-03-2012 at 01:56 PM   #2
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

This makes me really happy

I haven't heard of any protests that are pro-life/anti-choice in Hamilton. I'm sure that they must exist though.
Old 04-03-2012 at 02:27 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I havn't heard of any 'protests' specifically, but there have been loons hanging around jackson square handing out crazy literature related to the topic. Theres also a 'right to life' building on bay st that advertises/advocates this thing... i looked on their site and found out that they participated in march for life which took place in ottawa..
Old 04-13-2012 at 12:01 PM   #4
sdee

Liked: 8 Times

This is a post from McMaster LifeLine: http://mcmasterlifeline.ncln .ca/

Why talk about abortion??

Most of us have probably never thought about abortion before. Or maybe you have thought about it a lot. Maybe you’ve been brought face to face with abortion in a crisis pregnancy, or someone you know has considered one, or even had one. Why talk about abortion – is it an issue, is it a right, is it a choice, is it something that just happens, that needs to be done, when we’re left with no other choice? We all intrinsically know what abortion is about, or at least, we have some idea or connotations that we carry about abortion…

The Planned Parenthood website – the largest abortion provider in the world - explains it in this way:

“Abortion is a safe and legal way for women to end pregnancy.”

But what is being ended in a pregnancy? Is it the ending of a potential new human life, or the ending of an actual existing human life?

Faye Wattleton, Planned Parenthood’s longest reigning president, argued as far back as 1997 that everyone already knows that abortion kills. She proclaims the following in an interview with Ms. Magazine:

I think we have deluded ourselves into believing that people don’t know that abortion is killing. So any pretense that abortion is not killing is a signal of our ambivalence, a signal that we cannot say yes, it kills a fetus.

Naomi Wolf, a prominent feminist author and abortion supporter, makes a similar concession when she writes:

Clinging to a rhetoric about abortion in which there is no life and no death, we entangle our beliefs in a series of self-delusions, fibs and evasions. And we risk becoming precisely what our critics charge us with being: callous, selfish and casually destructive men and women who share a cheapened view of human life…we need to contextualize the fight to defend abortion rights within a moral framework that admits that the death of a fetus is a real death.

David Boonin, in his book, A Defense of Abortion, makes this startling admission:

In the top drawer of my desk, I keep [a picture of my son]. This picture was taken on September 7, 1993, 24 weeks before he was born. The sonogram image is murky, but it reveals clear enough a small head tilted back slightly, and an arm raised up and bent, with the hand pointing back toward the face and the thumb extended out toward the mouth. There is no doubt in my mind that this picture, too, shows [my son] at a very early stage in his physical development. And there is no question that the position I defend in this book entails that it would have been morally permissible to end his life at this point.

Peter Singer, contemporary philosopher and public abortion advocate, joins the chorus in his book, Practical Ethics. He writes:

It is possible to give ‘human being’ a precise meaning. We can use it as equivalent to ‘member of the species **** sapiens’. Whether a being is a member of a given species is something that can be determined scientifically, by an examination of the nature of the chromosomes in the cells of living organisms. In this sense there is no doubt that from the first moments of its existence an embryo conceived from human sperm and eggs is a human being.

Bernard Nathanson co-founded one of the most influential abortion advocacy groups in the world (NARAL) and once served as medical director for the largest abortion clinic in America. In 1974, he wrote an article for the New England Journal of Medicine in which he states, “There is no longer serious doubt in my mind that human life exists within the womb from the very onset of pregnancy…” Some years later, he would reiterate:

There is simply no doubt that even the early embryo is a human being. All its genetic coding and all its features are indisputably human. As to being, there is no doubt that it exists, is alive, is self-directed, and is not the the same being as the mother–and is therefore a unified whole.

(Taken from Abort73: The Case Against Abortion: Medical Testimony.)

If the embryo is a human being, an actually existing human life rather than potentially a human life, then we need to be talking about abortion. Stats are hard to find, but 91, 377 abortions were performed in Canada in 2006 (and those were only ones reported to Stats Canada.) That’s 91, 377 actually existing human lives that were killed, and only in one year. Shouldn’t we be talking about this? If abortion IS a human right, if it is a choice that woman can make, don’t we need to ask – is it right for someone to make the choice to kill the innocent human being in her womb, for whatever reason?

When something like 91 377 human beings in Canada are being killed yearly (while in the safest place on earth, no less) because of someone’s choice, I think we need to be DOING something about it. And yet, no one is even talking about it.

Biochem47 says thanks to sdee for this post.
Old 04-13-2012 at 01:34 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

^ So, you believe that a zygote and embryo are considered living, that is fine and dandy. Solution? Don't have an abortion if you become pregnant. There are other people who believe that life starts at delivery. They would feel completely comfortable terminating an unwanted pregnancy and they should have that choice, just like you would make the choice to continue with that pregnancy.

Quote:
In the top drawer of my desk, I keep [a picture of my son]. This picture was taken on September 7, 1993, 24 weeks before he was born.

I'm so sick of these ridiculous anectodal stories as to why abortion should be illegal based on emotions. Usually a pregnancy is 38-40 weeks, so 40-24 = 16 weeks. In Canada, 90% of abortions take place before 12 weeks (misoprostol/MTX or MVA if <10 weeks)

Quote:
Also, was wondering, are there ever any public protests/picketing against clinics that provide contraception and/or perform abortions in Hamilton?

I volunteered on a Saturday morning at the Jurvanaski centre and I saw some guy picketing against abortion.

Eternal Fire, sarahsullz like this.
Old 04-13-2012 at 03:53 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I never understood why people has abortion debates. It is always:

People that believe it is unethical to kill a fetus due to it being alive in the womb / religious reasons
vs.
People that believe that a baby is not a person till after its born

I don't think I have ever heard someone actually getting their mind changed from these debates, they just want to say their point. Yet they still happen...
Old 04-13-2012 at 06:35 PM   #7
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
It is always:

People that believe it is unethical to kill a fetus due to it being alive in the womb / religious reasons
vs.
People that believe that a baby is not a person till after its born

its more along the lines people believing its unethical to kill a fetus for xyz reason

vs

people believing we should not legislate what a woman can and cannot do with their own body

Amaryll likes this.
Old 04-13-2012 at 06:48 PM   #8
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
I volunteered on a Saturday morning at the Jurvanaski centre and I saw some guy picketing against abortion.
If you see him again, you should tell him that for every x minutes he remains standing there, you're going to donate y dollars to some cause/clinic.

Also, heartbreaking slam poem on the topic:

Snowman likes this.
Old 04-13-2012 at 07:00 PM   #9
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Oh McMaster Lifeline. How I adore your "debate" posters. You know, the ones that represented the argument that was NOT yours with the same cartoon female figure that you see on bathroom doors, while representing yours with a realistic silhouette of a human female and a highly detailed fetus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I don't think I have ever heard someone actually getting their mind changed from these debates, they just want to say their point. Yet they still happen...
You may not have heard of it happening, but it does. Sometimes it takes unfortunately sad situations for this to happen, that I would not wish upon anyone, but there you go.

Quote:
"I was born into a very Catholic family, and was politically pro-life during college. After dating my first real boyfriend for three years, we broke up, and the day my boyfriend moved out, I discovered I was pregnant. It was an agonizing decision, and something I never thought I would do, but I decided an abortion was the only realistic option. Thanks to Planned Parenthood counseling, I worked through some very tough conflicts within myself. I had to learn that my decision was a loving one. That 'my god' was actually a loving and supportive god. And that men don't have to make this decision, only women do. That it is a very personal, individual decision. I had to own it. I became much more compassionate towards myself and others as a result of my experience. Two years later I began medical school. When it came time to choose a practice, an abortion clinic opportunity came up. In working there, I began to feel that this was my calling. Having been in my patients' shoes, and coming from an unforgiving background, I could honestly say to patients, 'I know how you feel.' Deciding to have an abortion was THE hardest decision I've ever made in my life. Yet it has brought me the greatest transformation, fulfillment, and now joy. I am a more loving person because of it, and a better doctor for having experienced it. I love the work that I do, and the opportunity to support women seeking to end an unwanted pregnancy. My patients and my work are life's gifts to me, and I think my compassion and support are my gifts in return."
From The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion.

Last edited by Amaryll : 04-13-2012 at 07:06 PM.

sarahsullz likes this.
Old 04-13-2012 at 07:14 PM   #10
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

Obama? But this is Canada! Good thing he was elected, the troops are home from Iraq. You have changed so much Barry Obama.
Old 04-13-2012 at 07:20 PM   #11
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Against abortion? Dont have one. Simple.

Amaryll likes this.
Old 04-13-2012 at 08:08 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
If you see him again, you should tell him that for every x minutes he remains standing there, you're going to donate y dollars to some cause/clinic.

Also, heartbreaking slam poem on the topic:
I graduated from Mac already.

Maybe I'll see him in 2 years. D+Cs and MVAs are easy enough to do

Old 04-14-2012 at 12:03 AM   #13
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

Lets put this into perspective.

I don't like cantaloupes because of their fowl odor. I have never TRIED cantaloupes so when people ask me in regards to my opinion, a simple and strong bias is at hand.

So, for those who think abortion is bad, I would like to see you miss your period, struggle 9 months, raise a child (maybe on your own seeing as how the father may have decided to ditch, or maybe with social aid because your child is diagnosed with severe autism), until they are an adult, possibly on minimum wage or struggling to maintain a family.

I don't have a ******, a womb, fallopian tubes, or ovaries. I will never be pregnant, never go through labor and raise a child (like a mother's touch). So I don't think MY OPINION regarding abortion has any form of validity. (or any mans at that).

If you are a girl, and you missed your period and your happy, congrats, if not, then start thinking about your options.

Philipp31, Snowman like this.
Old 04-14-2012 at 12:41 AM   #14
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Just like another person said, I will never understand why abortion debates exist. Do you think that abortion is morally wrong? Don't have one. How does someone else terminating their pregnancy affect you, yourself, in any way, shape, or form?

snowfox, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 04-14-2012 at 01:33 AM   #15
hitek168

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
^ So, you believe that a zygote and embryo are considered living, that is fine and dandy. Solution? Don't have an abortion if you become pregnant. There are other people who believe that life starts at delivery. They would feel completely comfortable terminating an unwanted pregnancy and they should have that choice, just like you would make the choice to continue with that pregnancy.
You're saying people can simply choose whether or not to get an abortion based on their belief of whether or not life begins at conception. How can that be? There is obviously an answer to that question - a truth that is not contingent on your beliefs. Either life begins at conception or begins at a later time. This fact doesn't change whether you believe in it or not.

So what is it? Is it a life or not a life? That is the question we should be trying to answer. What is the truth? Can we prove it? If not, what implications does that uncertainty have?

If we can't say for certain, can we just let people do as they will? For example, simply because I feel stealing or cheating isn't wrong, should I be able to do as I wish? Clearly not. There is an objective truth that tells us stealing is wrong. Should there not be an objective truth underlying this as well? It is not adequate to simply say people can do according to what they believe.

Quote:
I'm so sick of these ridiculous anectodal stories as to why abortion should be illegal based on emotions. Usually a pregnancy is 38-40 weeks, so 40-24 = 16 weeks. In Canada, 90% of abortions take place before 12 weeks (misoprostol/MTX or MVA if <10 weeks)
So what if they're before 12 weeks? How is what you're saying relevant to the issue at hand if you have yet to verify whether or not the embryo is a life? Or are you now imposing your logic on on other people?

Quote:
What's wrong with that? What is the intent of this statement?