MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off-campus housing for exchange students snemelc Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 0 05-22-2013 02:34 AM
Short term parking spot? Armada Automotive & Transportation 1 08-29-2011 03:34 PM
two female exchange students looking for 4 months lease in September ae1011 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 1 08-23-2011 06:43 AM
Sports team for exchange students Casper Athletics & Recreation 3 06-29-2011 04:15 AM
About short-term volunteer work xhorizon Volunteering Opportunities 4 02-16-2010 05:47 PM

Off-campus accom for short-term exchange students

Old 03-03-2014 at 04:42 PM   #1
gallagherorla

Liked: 1 Time

Off-campus accom for short-term exchange students
Hi,

I'm due to study in McMaster as an exchange student from September - Decemeber 2014 and am trying to find some suitable off-campus accommodation for that time.
Ideally I would love to stay on-campus, but I do not like the idea of a meal plan.
However, I am also not keen on renting a bedroom in a house off-campus, due to the short time I will be there and possible complications with housemates, leases, etc.
So, I would like something similar to the likes of West Village Suites.
You know, an off-campus apartment block/centre exclusively for students.
I haven't heard great things about West Village Suites, unfortunately.
I would be really grateful if anybody could inform me of any such residences.

Thanks a lot!
Old 03-03-2014 at 10:58 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Try dundurn property management. They used to own west village suites but they seperated and now westvillage is like bad. You could also find a place downtown and get your own apartment i can give u more info about it since i live here

Last edited by Leeoku : 03-03-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2014 at 11:27 PM   #3
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Look at this and look at "Co-op/Short Term Rentals" or "Sublets." Tons of people have co-op/exchanges and are in the same case as you are, so they might need to get rid of their room for a semester. Just make sure to look up the area on the map and ask for pictures to make sure the room isn't too far

https://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/classifieds/
Old 03-08-2014 at 05:15 PM   #4
gallagherorla

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks for all the info!
I've looked into dundurn and they look promising, it's the kinda thing I'm looking for.
I've also looked at the link mentioned and I'm just not too keen on relying on renting a room in a student house, I would much prefer a student complex type accommodation.
Have also stumbled upon Binkely Halls. Does anybody know anything about them?
They looked perfect to start, but I can't find any recent info. on them.
Old 03-08-2014 at 07:47 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Trying to find a place JUST for Sept-December is going to be very tough, as most landlords require you to sign a one-year lease. And students usually only sublet during the summer months (since they signed a one-year lease and aren't going to be there during the summer so they sublet to make back the money lost when they aren't there).

If you're looking only for a 4-month lease, then you're going to have to get creative and start looking around for students that might be renting out a house and have a spare bedroom available, or might be looking for a roommate because one of their housemates/roommates left during the year for whatever reason.

I recommend checking the MacInsiders Marketplace (we have a 'housing' section) and search in there:
http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19 6

You can also check out our housing Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/machousing/