MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster to Waterloo commute? sanketdas_ General Discussion 11 07-28-2013 09:55 PM
Do You Or Your Friends Commute To Scarborough? S-transit Automotive & Transportation 7 06-24-2013 12:36 PM
Off campus or commute shawarama General Discussion 8 04-27-2011 11:27 PM
To commute? treefrog First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-01-2008 03:31 PM

Off campus or commute

Old 12-07-2016 at 04:00 PM   #1
Princessa

Liked: 0 Times

Off campus or commute
Hiiiii sooo I'm thinking about going to mac next year and I have two options either commuting from Mississauga or living off campus.personally I'm an independent person but i also like to meet mew people and I'm not really sure of the full pros and cons of the off campus housing or the students who live their. So if anyone can give me some advice or insight on whether I should commute or off campus res would be better 😀 thank you ps... anykne specifically commute from missiauga is it time consuming ??
Old 12-07-2016 at 04:27 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Pros:
- You get more time to do studying
- You get the ability to live whatever style you want (parties, drugs, cam shows, etc) without your parents watching over you

Cons:
- You might (and most likely will) get pigs for roommates
- It's extra money you could otherwise save (altho it will be less because of the cost of commute)
- Your landlord might try to scam you
- Quality of living is sometime worse, and the area where students live is not exactly crime-free
- Bedbug possibility
Old 12-08-2016 at 12:49 PM   #3
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Pros of living off campus:
- Waking up later because shorter travel time
- Spending more time on assignments because of the shorter travel time to campus
- Going back to your room to sleep in between classes if you have a large break
- Easier to meet up with people if you're doing a group project

Cons:
- Finding a "comfortable" place is difficult. Lots of student houses are nasty and there's mold, rodents, bedbugs, etc. Landlords aren't the best in Hamilton and are very greedy and put in a minimal effort. They won't tell you everything. Some will just take your money and disappear for the entire school year and ignore all your calls and emails.
- If you do find a comfortable place to live, it'll probably be more expensive so you'll probably need to assess your financial resources to see if it's worth the money
- If you don't know anyone then it could be difficult finding a house and fitting in with the people who already live there. Most house viewings are not indicative of how the house will actually be. So if you end up not liking the house then it could start to affect your school work

In summary I would say, if you find a house that is clean and comfortable and you have the money then living off campus is great. Otherwise you'll have to take into account travel times and possibly change your study habits to make sure that deadlines are met.
Old 12-08-2016 at 02:11 PM   #4
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

If you're commuting in your own car, go for it. You avoid all the headaches listed above. When you're driving, you're in control of your own time. Learn how to avoid traffic jams by using the traffic layer on Google Maps. If you're going to commute using Go, that will be a big time-eater. Then again, you can study on the bus and the train. And nobody really spends much time studying nowadays anyway. Third best option for you, I think, is to spend the extra money and get yourself a good apartment on your own, instead of student housing.