MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't know where T28 is on campus :s R_21 General Discussion 7 02-08-2011 07:55 AM
BMO ABM on Campus? valconrj General Discussion 9 02-01-2011 12:01 AM
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
Hamilton-Toronto Commute RyanC Automotive & Transportation 13 05-15-2010 12:22 AM
To commute? treefrog First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-01-2008 03:31 PM

Off campus or commute

Old 04-27-2011 at 05:45 PM   #1
shawarama

Liked: 0 Times

Off campus or commute
Hey everyone!

I am entering my 2nd year at mac this september, and am wondering what would be better: living off campus or commuting from Mississauga.

After living on rez 1st year, i didn't do to well with my grades, and am wondering which living condition will be the best for my grades?

does commuting take up to much time and energy? is living of campus a distraction?

thanks for all the responses!
Old 04-27-2011 at 05:47 PM   #2
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

commuting for me was a nightmare, definitely live off campus.
Old 04-27-2011 at 05:50 PM   #3
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

it depends, i commute from mississauga, at square one, and i dont mind, its a lot easier if you drive to square one or get dropped of there cuz taking mississauga transit takes a lot more time. Ive done it for 2 years now and i dont think its affected my grades at all
Old 04-27-2011 at 06:03 PM   #4
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Living anywhere can be a distraction it just depends on who you choose to live with and your study habits.
If you are a person that study after classes then maybe living off campus is better for you so you can get home faster. You could also study in a cubicle in the library.
During exam time I find that the closer you are to campus the better it is especially if you like to review before the midterm/exam. If you commute you have to factor in that time also and its less reviewing time for you.
Old 04-27-2011 at 06:57 PM   #5
shawarama

Liked: 0 Times

hmmm...

well currently i have the option of living with 9 other people (2 of whom i know pretty well), or commuting.

the problem with the off-campus place is that i am not sure if living in a house with so many people won't be distracting. + none of them are in my program, so apart from the close location, there really is no advantage.

and yea that is one of the downsides to commuting, that i might have less time to study......but i hear from other people that students who commute tend to do better....is that really the trend?
Old 04-27-2011 at 07:06 PM   #6
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawarama View Post
hmmm...

well currently i have the option of living with 9 other people (2 of whom i know pretty well), or commuting.

the problem with the off-campus place is that i am not sure if living in a house with so many people won't be distracting. + none of them are in my program, so apart from the close location, there really is no advantage.

and yea that is one of the downsides to commuting, that i might have less time to study......but i hear from other people that students who commute tend to do better....is that really the trend?
With 9 other people that will get distracting for sure even if you are all studying. I live with 2 other people and we always get distracted even if its the smallest of things like one person making food.
If you commute maybe you can read on the bus, get in some of those textbook readings. If you get sick from reading in moving vehicles then I guess this doesnt work for you.

In the end you might just have to work harder and budget your time. I guess the reason why they say commuters do better is because they know ahead of time that they will have this long drive to and from school and so they tend to get their work done on time. Whereas people who live on campus or close to school off campus tend to say oh im close to school ill just do this this n that then get to work and still have time to get to school on time to hand in the project or to get to the testing location on time.

Living further away you know for sure that you have to make that bus or else you will be doomed. You have to leave out earlier due to traffic, snow, rain etc.

Sorry this is long I kinda went on a tangent.
Old 04-27-2011 at 07:10 PM   #7
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

it all depends on you; if you think you can handle the commute, then go for it. it's intense, especially if one of your 8:30 classes gets cancelled or something haha
Old 04-27-2011 at 08:22 PM   #8
TheMist

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawarama View Post
Hey everyone!

I am entering my 2nd year at mac this september, and am wondering what would be better: living off campus or commuting from Mississauga.

After living on rez 1st year, i didn't do to well with my grades, and am wondering which living condition will be the best for my grades?

does commuting take up to much time and energy? is living of campus a distraction?

thanks for all the responses!
I've commuted for 1 year now from Oakville carpool lot and it is not bad at all. Takes around 25-30 minutes to get to campus. And yes, I live in Mississauga as well.

The only disadvantage that I experienced was commuting early morning for my 8:30 classes, but you get used to it with time.
Old 04-27-2011 at 11:27 PM   #9
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

I live in Mississauga, where it would take 30 mins to get to square one, then an additional 45 min or so by GO bus.

I decided to live OFF campus, and it's been my best decision so far. I hate commuting, I find it a waste of time.