MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living in West Village Suites 2011/2012 Ish001 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 24 05-17-2011 04:05 PM
Living Off-Campus? Dominique First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-04-2008 03:02 PM

Off Campus living starting Sep 2012

Old 06-17-2012 at 12:04 PM   #1
canadianvpk

Liked: 1 Time

Off Campus living starting Sep 2012
Hey Dear Fellas,

I will be starting Engineering I at Mcmaster this Sept 2012 and am wondering when should I start looking for house's at Hamilton. I have to move from Sudbury to Hamilton, so I have no clue about housing at Hamilton area. I would be better off to start looking from now on or I can wait for a month or so to get started. Any suggestions will be helpful.

I am more interested in having a room at a house, so if anyone looking for one this Sept I will more happy/open to shares idea and even if it is cheaper to get a two bedroom house and share it between us. I am cool with that.

Thanks,

Pradeep
Old 06-17-2012 at 12:07 PM   #2
paula112

Liked: 3 Times

it's never TOO EARLY to look for houses.
http://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/classifieds/index.php
try this website
Old 06-17-2012 at 12:13 PM   #3
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

You mean you don't have a place already?

I'd start looking for one now.
Old 06-17-2012 at 03:18 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

There aren't any two-bedroom houses that I know of. The minimum is usually three and in those cases, it's a floor in a house (ie just the main floor or just the basement). Most full houses have more, with the majority being 5-8 (though there are a few 4-person and some larger than 8 as well).

Anybody looking for a full house to rent with a group was doing that in January.

If you're looking for a single room only, those tend to come up much more frequently, but I agree with paula, it's never too early to start looking. There are definitely houses that always have a for-rent sign in front of them, also if you check the marketplace on Macinsiders and the off campus classifies (posted above) you might have some luck as well.
Old 06-17-2012 at 03:58 PM   #5
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

I'd start asap so you're not scrambling last minute in August.

Another place to check out (aside from the off campus listing and Macinsiders marketplace) would be Kijiji Hamilton.
Old 06-18-2012 at 08:09 AM   #6
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

hmm... students started (and for the most part finished) signing leases in january/february... i think you would have a better chance of building a house than finding one at this point
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:11 AM   #7
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
hmm... students started (and for the most part finished) signing leases in january/february... i think you would have a better chance of building a house than finding one at this point
Why do you have to be so sarcastic all the time?

OP: I'm sure you'll be able to find a house on this site.
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:32 AM   #8
georgeb.1990

Liked: 2 Times

Don't listen to these people. It is incredibly easy to find a house even in late August and those will almost likely be 8 month leases, meaning you won't wastefully pay for an empty room during the summer months like most students.

Take a look at the macoffcampus site posted above for houses. There will be postings going up all summer so no need to rush. It would probably be more useful to go down to Hamilton during a weekend and just drive around Westdale looking for "for rent" signs (there will be PLENTY).

You have no idea how many houses fail to rent out all of their rooms by the time school starts. Most houses rent to individuals rather than groups so there are always left over rooms that they struggle to fill.

Source: me. I did this last August (during the last two weeks) and me and one of my roommates saw plenty of available, nice houses close to Mac that had vacant rooms.

DragonBorn says thanks to georgeb.1990 for this post.

DragonBorn likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:37 AM   #9
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
Why do you have to be so sarcastic all the time?

OP: I'm sure you'll be able to find a house on this site.
If you look through that comment, no sarcasm was used. an overexaggeration yes, but no sarcasm. Speaking from personal experiences, i know that most of the good house are long off the market by february. so yeah it may be easy to find a house, but you have significantly smaller chances of getting a nice house. And if you are planning on signing into a house that has one empty room among a group of others, honestly dont expect them to change their living style. I had a fill-in roommate this year and she tried setting rules about quiet time by 10, no drinking, etc... needless to say we were all plastered at 2am yelling just to give her the reminder that she came into OUR house and that while we are willing to be accomodating, we are not changing the way that we lived the year prior
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:41 AM   #10
Chris23
Account Locked

Also AlexMahone, i dont give a "sarcastic" answer unless a foolish question is answered. If you ask a stupid question, your going to get a stupid answer. I have no problem with giving advice to those with serious questions that need answering. More than willing to help there. It would just be nice to see some common sense be used before posting threads on here that could be answered with an extra minute of thought on the poster's part.
Old 06-18-2012
macVIRK
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:51 AM   #11
Chris23
Account Locked

420 a month is a good deal for utilities included! Although i dont know how 20 dollars of is wayy cheaper when your still paying roughly 400 amonth but hey, 5 percent off is what it is

Last edited by jhan523 : 06-18-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:54 AM   #12
georgeb.1990

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
420 a month is a good deal for utilities included! Although i dont know how 20 dollars of is wayy cheaper when your still paying roughly 400 amonth but hey, 5 percent off is what it is
Especially when you're paying for an extra 4 months rent. Doubt OP will choose to stay in Hamilton next summer rather than go home to Sudbury.

Chris23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:58 AM   #13
Nine

Liked: 1 Time

Rent-wise, anything between $350 and $450 (util included) is a decent price.

Don't worry, it's not too late. In fact, you may even get better deals if you wait a bit. Landlords are often more desperate to get their rooms rented the closer we get to the start of the semester.

Good luck!