MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Course Trading Thread 2011/2012 [Archived] Chad Academics 134 01-08-2013 02:03 PM
Official Course Trading Thread 2011/2012 [Archived] ~*Sara*~ Academics 814 12-20-2011 09:48 AM
Official MapleStory Thread Desda Gaming 318 06-12-2011 09:24 PM
Official Course Trading Thread Chad Academics 335 06-09-2011 08:34 AM

Official MSU Presidential 2012 Discussion Thread

Old 01-26-2012 at 12:53 AM   #16
robots

Liked: 40 Times

its lovely how the presidential thread has turned into an apathetic student discourse where students care more about temporarily taken seating areas than an msu president to represent them.
Old 01-26-2012 at 03:55 AM   #17
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

o god i dont wana walk in and be flogged by campaign stuff
Old 01-27-2012 at 05:06 PM   #18
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by robots View Post
its lovely how the presidential thread has turned into an apathetic student discourse where students care more about temporarily taken seating areas than an msu president to represent them.
I heard that getting mad at students is a new tactic to get them to care. Makes complete sense......
Old 01-27-2012 at 07:25 PM   #19
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Hi everyone,

I understand the concern about table space in MUSC. The Campbell team has tried to keep the base to a minimum only using two tables for the vast majority of the time. Unfortunately MUSC has been the default home base every election mainly because its convenient for students who want to ask questions and talk to the candidates (or a candidate's representative).

AndreaS, sharkpups like this.
Old 01-27-2012 at 08:33 PM   #20
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

I personally dislike how so many of their speeches are "you pay so much money to be a part of the MSU, you should get your moneys worth" when I would much rather not pay a more-than-generous amount for services that I will never use because I either don't have the time or just no interest. All the candidates suggest more ways we can spend money on their new project ideas - which is fine - but often overly optimistic. I don't even want to think about how much paperwork, waiting, phone calls, and meeting hours are needed to make a lot of these big changes candidates are suggesting...

sf2fs, Snowman like this.
Old 01-27-2012 at 09:28 PM   #21
robots

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-L View Post
I heard that getting mad at students is a new tactic to get them to care. Makes complete sense......
Why do you keep attacking me on macinsiders, MDL? As your constituant I am extremely disappointed in how low you are sinking. I have never personally attacked you, so why am I receiving this hostility? I have noticed you often result to this tactic with any student who attempts to challenge the status quo you have tried so hard to keep in your presidency at McMaster. And perhaps if you kept with your campaign promise to increase student studying space, there would be less complaints about the lack of it.

sf2fs likes this.
Old 01-27-2012 at 09:41 PM   #22
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
I personally dislike how so many of their speeches are "you pay so much money to be a part of the MSU, you should get your moneys worth" when I would much rather not pay a more-than-generous amount for services that I will never use because I either don't have the time or just no interest. All the candidates suggest more ways we can spend money on their new project ideas - which is fine - but often overly optimistic..
ive always agreed with this yet governments due the same thing. right now i tend to consider voting for the person that promises the fewest things so that way he is
a) more likely to get it done
b) not promising every group at school something

a lot of candidate for governments tend to do b, but id rather they make small changes. thats why i would consider the guy improving wifi since he promises few things so he is more likely to make it happen.

as a solution for the candidates taking up limited seating, why not claim a couple of the tables outside williams (close to titles) and make sure everyone sticks to one side. many clubs do that, and its saves space as well as getting seen.
Old 01-27-2012 at 11:08 PM   #23
sf2fs

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Why do you keep attacking me on macinsiders, MDL? As your constituant I am extremely disappointed in how low you are sinking. I have never personally attacked you, so why am I receiving this hostility? I have noticed you often result to this tactic with any student who attempts to challenge the status quo you have tried so hard to keep in your presidency at McMaster. And perhaps if you kept with your campaign promise to increase student studying space, there would be less complaints about the lack of it.
Agreed. Perhaps working on campaign promises should be a priority as opposed to making derogatory comments towards constituents on MI.
Old 01-28-2012 at 12:06 AM   #24
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Perhaps it has to do with more on how you interpret things? Do you have a history of paranoia and other neurotic behaviour?
Old 01-28-2012 at 05:42 AM   #25
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 187 Times

Thode added 400 new seats on the 2nd floor, Innis was opened on Saturdays in the 2nd semester of 2011, there are upcoming renovations to the 6th floor of Mills to create additional study space, and Thode was turned 24/7 during exams. We are also working on opening up a lecture hall with a student moderator to be made accessible to students during exams.

By no means has the lack of study space been solved this year. Instead study space was made a concern for students and the Students Union for years to come especially as enrollment continues to increase. Efforts were made this year to deal with this concern, and for the future as well which I believe is a necessary step.

You are clearly frustrated because you believe Presidentials are important and people are not taking it seriously. There is nothing wrong with this, (I too am obviously passionate about the process and the position) but understanding why students care about their space in MUSC more than discussing the candidates will help you in getting others to care about the process.
Old 01-28-2012 at 06:03 AM   #26
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

yea i wish we coudld opt out of more services. sure money would be part of "fundraising" to gear up for more mcmaster projects but sometimes people dont want certain things say the recreation fee. some people know they wont go to the gym at all and it should be optional, although it would make filtering complicated
Old 01-28-2012 at 04:09 PM   #27
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-L View Post
Thode added 400 new seats on the 2nd floor, Innis was opened on Saturdays in the 2nd semester of 2011, there are upcoming renovations to the 6th floor of Mills to create additional study space, and Thode was turned 24/7 during exams. We are also working on opening up a lecture hall with a student moderator to be made accessible to students during exams.

By no means has the lack of study space been solved this year. Instead study space was made a concern for students and the Students Union for years to come especially as enrollment continues to increase. Efforts were made this year to deal with this concern, and for the future as well which I believe is a necessary step.
Hi MDL,

I voted for you last yr was because you promised to make thode 24/7 during exams.

Study space has definitely gone up during your term as MSU pres.

Just wanted to say thank you for that. The 24/7 library really saved my ass last year.

arathbon, lt93 like this.
Old 01-28-2012 at 05:01 PM   #28
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
Hi MDL,

I voted for you last yr was because you promised to make thode 24/7 during exams.

Study space has definitely gone up during your term as MSU pres.

Just wanted to say thank you for that. The 24/7 library really saved my ass last year.
Sadly, I have yet to get someone to tell me why the laptop lending was stopped.

It didn't need any investment at all since the laptops were just there, I'm sure students would've been fine if they weren't upgraded...and I would've been more than happy to repair all of them myself. So why were the laptops taken off to give free space? Did Mac get money to get rid of them or something?!
Old 01-28-2012 at 06:23 PM   #29
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Sadly, I have yet to get someone to tell me why the laptop lending was stopped.

It didn't need any investment at all since the laptops were just there, I'm sure students would've been fine if they weren't upgraded...and I would've been more than happy to repair all of them myself. So why were the laptops taken off to give free space? Did Mac get money to get rid of them or something?!
Here's a thought.. there are tons of laptops floating around out there because of people needing to upgrade, etc, so I wonder if it would be possible to have an organization (perhaps the library or UTS) to take in laptop donations, or aquire them by fundraising, and loan them out without digging into the library's (or McMaster's) financial resources? Just keep a booth somewhere in the student centre (maybe that retail space that is opening up where travel cuts was?) that deals with maintaining laptops (and possibly double as a study/sit/chill space). You could just have students vouched for by providing their laptop or some sort of identification (or means of deposit) to make sure laptops don't get damaged or stolen.

I certainly would love this.. I've never used the laptop borrowing system, but I find myself needing to use a computer (full friggin labs in JHE or IAHS, etc) but don't want to lug my laptop to school every day, and I only really need it for an hour or two at a time.

Thoughts? Any candidates care to take up this cause, or persue this?

Afzal, AndreaS like this.
Old 01-28-2012 at 06:23 PM   #30
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

^Someone on MI (I believe) emailed them last year when they said they'd be stopping it, and they said that it was because of the extra staffing cost or something. Basically, something that I REALLY didn't think would be an issue but they made it out to be. >___>