MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Drunk Kitchen on Youtube Lana02 Movies & Television 3 02-03-2012 05:37 PM
silly question Chevalier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 03-13-2011 03:57 PM
drunk and mad that 1280s packkeddd jamesl Dating & Relationships 14 01-18-2011 11:23 AM
drunk post thread jamescw1234 General Discussion 8 01-05-2011 11:58 PM
IRIS: A Drama Production by Students for Students lorend First Year Success 0 06-06-2008 02:57 PM

Oh Parent's Against Drunk Students, you're so silly

Old 05-05-2012 at 04:32 PM   #1
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Oh Parent's Against Drunk Students, you're so silly
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...cmaster-campus

I wonder how many have actually even been to the Phoenix

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 05-05-2012 at 04:47 PM   #2
Twinkle
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

So... applying for the license means beer will be sold on campus?
Old 05-05-2012 at 04:53 PM   #3
Elliott779

Liked: 35 Times

This is ridiculous, and so misinformed. The Phoenix is moving, which is why it needs to reapply for a liquor license. There will be no change from what The Phoenix is currently doing (selling food and alcohol), other than it will be slightly farther from Westdale.

For some reason, PADS thinks this means... I don't even know what. That there will somehow, for some reason be more drunk students?

Also, shouldn't they be more concerned with Snooty, which is actually IN Westdale? Lulz.

Last edited by Elliott779 : 05-06-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Old 05-05-2012 at 05:09 PM   #4
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
So... applying for the license means beer will be sold on campus?
No, it just means the Phoenix will continue to be allowed to sell alcohol.
Old 05-05-2012 at 06:53 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

not to mention the pheonix is probably the most chill bar in hamilton. Mostly only older students and faculty go there and people rarely get "drunk". Also the phoenix serves staff of the university during lunch in the summer, where it is almost impossible to get a seat without a reservation.
Old 05-05-2012 at 07:13 PM   #6
Twinkle
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
No, it just means the Phoenix will continue to be allowed to sell alcohol.
oh i see. well does it matter if phoenix sells it or not. arent there other sources of alcohol? arent there other ways of preventing what happened in London? Better ways, ways that actually make sense...
Old 05-05-2012 at 08:00 PM   #7
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Oh Hamilton. This is what I love about this town. Bite the hand that feeds the city. I'm sick of the way Hamiltonians talk about students. I've noticed that if people know I'm Hamiltonian they treat me completely differently than if they just think I'm a McMaster student.

Nevermind the fact that the Phoenix is very unrowdy. Nevermind the logic that you're going to stop students from drinking if you don't have bars (seriously? You really think that students don't drink much cheaper liquor at their houses where there's not even theoretical controls like requiring servers to have smart serve licenses.)

Also. Western=Mac? Western is a "party" school. I don't know anyone who went to Mac with the expectation that it was the ideal place to get drunk and set fire to cars. Hamilton is very well policed with respect to student drunkeness. When a party I was at was shut down at 9 pm, my friend from U of T remarked he had never heard of a party being shut down before 11 at night in Toronto. While I don't approve of some of the behavior that goes on that is disrespectful to residents, I think if you moved near make in the last 10-15 years you should probably have expected what living next to a large University would be like.
Old 05-05-2012 at 08:57 PM   #8
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

PADS... also known as... Lou Ferro!

Kudos likes this.
Old 05-05-2012 at 09:34 PM   #9
Twinkle
Account Locked

When a party I was at was shut down at 9 pm

Many people want to sleep at night, no?
Old 05-05-2012 at 09:37 PM   #10
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
When a party I was at was shut down at 9 pm

Many people want to sleep at night, no?
That was my point? I was saying pretty well policed comparatively. 9pm-5am is 8 hours of sleep.
Old 05-06-2012 at 06:42 AM   #11
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Oh I remember hearing about this group. A few years ago they were called WADS (westdale against drunk students) and they wanted to ban alcohol all on campus.

Well that didn't work out, did it, lol

Edit: this is the only thread I could find about it:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea... ghlight=WADS

Last edited by Eternal Fire : 05-06-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2012 at 07:02 AM   #12
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
oh i see. well does it matter if phoenix sells it or not. arent there other sources of alcohol? arent there other ways of preventing what happened in London? Better ways, ways that actually make sense...
It matters that this people don't get away with what they want. You give them something small and they'll want more.
Old 05-06-2012 at 08:06 AM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I hate how university students drink all the time .. so I'm going to buy a really expensive house right by a university.

Honestly, Westdale is one of the best places in Hamilton to live BECAUSE of Mac. There wouldn't be so many amenities and great stores if there wasn't a university nearby.

artsy, J. Dorey, Kudos like this.
Old 05-10-2012 at 12:16 AM   #14
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

"A newly formed group of Westdale residents say they are enraged that"

Enraged, really? They are in a furor over this matter? Are their faces glowing red and is steam coming out of their ears?

I want to step on these peoples' necks.
Old 05-10-2012 at 01:15 AM   #15
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

lol Lou Ferro clearly was a shut-in introvert through his teens.