MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chemical engineering 4 adeelb Academics 4 05-03-2012 09:00 PM
Oil Prices J-Met Politics 7 06-20-2008 10:03 PM

Oil prices impact on chemical engineering?

Old 02-23-2015 at 08:41 AM   #1
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Oil prices impact on chemical engineering?
As Oil is the largest industry employing chemical engineers, and with the oil prices on the sharp decline, are chem eng graduates feeling the unemployment wave? I mean because of that, some experienced chem engs are being layed off, and as a result the chance of fresh graduates getting a job must have sharply declined as those experienced are looking for jobs in other places, and this decreases the chances for the graduates to get a job, as companies prefer experienced people over the fresh gradutes.

So, I was contemplating chem eng, and came across this article talking about today's trend. Is chem eng a good field to go into right now? I feel it is one of the fields dying out..
Old 02-23-2015 at 10:48 AM   #2
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Hes also looking into elec eng, eng phys, materials, and any other discipline i have left out that you are "considering". Do you really think that changing oil prices will have a direct proportional effect on the job opportunities for chemical engineers to the point where they wont be able to find work? Gas prices have been increasing since we can remember, and somehow i dont think that also means that chemical engineers have been dwindling off the past 20 years of my life as ive seen the price of oil climb.

Why dont you just go into gas pumping? With oil being in constant demand, it offers you the job security that you seem to care so deeply for. Furthermore, by taking a job at a local gas station, there is hopes that you won't have access to wifi for large portions of the day, thereby giving the MI community temporary breaks from your pointless posts Just a career path you should consider as I know how thorough you want to be in your selection of a career.
Old 02-23-2015 at 11:08 AM   #3
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I'm so disappointed about your short-sightness! You used to be so much better at analyzing these things...

Why not go 1 step further? Oil is a non-renewable resource -> runs out of oil -> dead career. Who cares about the fluctuation now, it's doomed from the start.
Old 02-23-2015 at 11:15 AM   #4
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene;415003[B
]I'm so disappointed about your short-sightness![/b] You used to be so much better at analyzing these things...

Why not go 1 step further? Oil is a non-renewable resource -> runs out of oil -> dead career. Who cares about the fluctuation now, it's doomed from the start.
Lets not question someone's analytic skills when we havent learned how to piece together a proper basic sentence ok

If I wanted to go the extra mile for ralts, it would be building the makeshift raft out of twigs and branches which he would then use to sail off into the sunset on his was to zimbabwe, never to bother us again with his Eng discipline flavour of the week threads lol
Old 02-23-2015 at 01:18 PM   #5
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

The fluctuation in this commodity price is only temporary, I can reassure you that the markets are only being played by OPEC countries and chemical engineering will only be more needed as firms are trying to optimize fuel efficiency and alternative energy solutions!
Old 02-23-2015 at 01:47 PM   #6
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
The fluctuation in this commodity price is only temporary, I can reassure you that the markets are only being played by OPEC countries and chemical engineering will only be more needed as firms are trying to optimize fuel efficiency and alternative energy solutions!
So to abbreviate your comment, ralts just spewed verbal diarrhea on MI again haha
Old 02-23-2015 at 04:32 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Chem eng is big in manufacturing, process control etc. You don't have to go to oil. Yes the oil drop has laid off many workers and there is probably a huge influx of chem eng workers, but only for oil. Chem eng is a huge industry you can definetly find things. It will definetly be interesting for me as I'm about to graduate...
Old 02-23-2015 at 06:22 PM   #8
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Lol.., I cant beleive it 2DREAMZzzz, how can you gain so much self satisfaction by trashing others in MI? I did not know that you represented the entire MI forum when you said stuff like providing "the MI community temporary breaks from your pointless posts". Well, if that small gust of air in your lungs got slowly released when typing the reply to my post, I am happy about that

It is a VERY reasonable assumption to make that Chem Eng would be affected by decline in oil prices. It is OBVIOUS you know nothing about the world around you if that's your opinion.

Law of supply and demand, supply increases, price decreases, less profit, companies cut back on production(I KNOW they are not cutting back on production 2DREAMZZ), start laying off employees(engineers, more int his case as they are not cutting back on production), the laid off engineers start looking for jobs elsewhere. And as it is Chem Engers the ones being employed in that sector, and that part being one of the sector employing the most amount of Chem Engs, it is a reasonable assumption to make that the jobs for Chem Eng is scarce as of RIGHT NOW. Fresh graduates will be competing with the laid off chem engers who are looking for jobs in other places, and this decreases the chances of them getting jobs RIGHT NOW. And dont you start talking crap as if you are the only intellectual one in the world and say,"BUT IT CAN CHANGE IN 3-4 YEARS", I know that, you are not the only dumb one in the world..

I am just looking for reasonable opinions, not some jungle rant by some ignorat..

I can't beleive that ignorant trashes actually graduate from Mac Eng, Just an added weight to the earth, pathetic.. I thought it was the place only for the intellectual ones...

And yes, I know what you are gonna write "How come you are here?" and some trashy crap.. You can retype that and release another gust of air from your lungs if that pleases you..

Last edited by ralts40(2) : 02-23-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2015 at 07:01 PM   #9
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Oil will bounce back, this is an artificial price off-set and a 100% fabricated crisis.
Old 02-23-2015 at 08:24 PM   #10
Defroster

Liked: 9 Times

The market for jobs in Chemical Engineering is only hurting short term in a single field. There are many other choices in terms of jobs available. Pharmaceuticals for example is a huge one. I'm not even in the engineering department yet there's about 65% of us with engineering backgrounds who are in the deparment (Bulk Manufacturing/ Operations).

2Dream likes this.
Old 02-24-2015 at 09:44 AM   #11
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
Lol.., I cant beleive it 2DREAMZzzz, how can you gain so much self satisfaction by trashing others in MI? I did not know that you represented the entire MI forum when you said stuff like providing "the MI community temporary breaks from your pointless posts". Well, if that small gust of air in your lungs got slowly released when typing the reply to my post, I am happy about that

It is a VERY reasonable assumption to make that Chem Eng would be affected by decline in oil prices. It is OBVIOUS you know nothing about the world around you if that's your opinion.

Law of supply and demand, supply increases, price decreases, less profit, companies cut back on production(I KNOW they are not cutting back on production 2DREAMZZ), start laying off employees(engineers, more int his case as they are not cutting back on production), the laid off engineers start looking for jobs elsewhere. And as it is Chem Engers the ones being employed in that sector, and that part being one of the sector employing the most amount of Chem Engs, it is a reasonable assumption to make that the jobs for Chem Eng is scarce as of RIGHT NOW. Fresh graduates will be competing with the laid off chem engers who are looking for jobs in other places, and this decreases the chances of them getting jobs RIGHT NOW. And dont you start talking crap as if you are the only intellectual one in the world and say,"BUT IT CAN CHANGE IN 3-4 YEARS", I know that, you are not the only dumb one in the world..

I am just looking for reasonable opinions, not some jungle rant by some ignorat..

I can't beleive that ignorant trashes actually graduate from Mac Eng, Just an added weight to the earth, pathetic.. I thought it was the place only for the intellectual ones...

And yes, I know what you are gonna write "How come you are here?" and some trashy crap.. You can retype that and release another gust of air from your lungs if that pleases you..
Haha you think this makes me angry? Responding to your repetitive posts just gives me something to do during brief breaks at work.
Actually, numerous people have posted complaints about your nonsense threads in which you request information on a new eng discipline which will act as your primary choice for the given day.

I tried reading through your first year econ lesson which i have bolded above, and your assumptions are ridiculous. Oil refinement is not the only source of work for chemical engineers. You act as though just because oil prices fluctuate, that the entire field of chemical engineers will suffer as a result. Just a simple case of you completely over-exaggerating the affects here. Also, while you are correct in some manner that there is a demand for experienced engineers over recent graduates, I know for a fact that there are many companies that look for recent graduates when looking for new hires. Part of the reason for this being that they want to be able to mold young employees from the beginning of their careers and from there, hopefully keep them as part of their employee base for decades to come.

I get that you enjoy trying to stir up trouble on here, but if we are going to have these debates, at least come up with more thought out ideas ok? Awaiting response which has more cheap shots than valid points now
Old 02-24-2015 at 09:46 AM   #12
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defroster View Post
The market for jobs in Chemical Engineering is only hurting short term in a single field. There are many other choices in terms of jobs available. Pharmaceuticals for example is a huge one. I'm not even in the engineering department yet there's about 65% of us with engineering backgrounds who are in the deparment (Bulk Manufacturing/ Operations).
THIS. Thank you for understanding that oil refinement is by NO means the only source of jobs in the chemical engineering field. Glad someone else actually thought this through

ralts40(2) says thanks to 2Dream for this post.
Old 02-24-2015 at 12:53 PM   #13
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Well, it is obvious that you dont know how to read.. I said "as it is Chem Engers the ones being employed in that sector, and that part being one of the sector employing the most amount of Chem Engs, it is a reasonable assumption to make that the jobs for Chem Eng is scarce as of RIGHT NOW".

I did not say ALL the engineers work there, I said MOST of them work in that sector. If I am a oil firm, and if I cannot break even with the current market price(which declined to less than 50% compared to last year's price, and no, it did not decrease by 1 cent that you so repeatedly keep on mentioning about ups and downs, as this time is the largest setback in history), then obviously I am gonna start laying my employees off...

I dont even think you actually graduated from ECE at Mac, but rather are trolling with a college diploma on Early Childhood Education(ECE), being a bigshot in the forum as if you know anything when you dont know nothing..

You cannot ask for flowers if you are gonna throw thorns at me brother..

Last edited by ralts40(2) : 02-24-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2015 at 01:11 PM   #14
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

ohmygod I don't even.

How this thread went:

Troll OP post about Chem Eng, basing arguments off of life in a vacuum, and yet another new claim about the stream of Engineering being considered;
Followed by many troll feeders;
Toss in some jaw snapping by the troll when feeders got to close and personal...
And now the insults are flying, accusations rolling, and general silliness ensues.

May the troll feeders go home, please...

ralts40(2) likes this.
Old 02-24-2015 at 01:33 PM   #15
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

True, 2Dreams, stop trolling..