offcampus living?? epikness Residence & Housing 37 05-23-2011 04:56 PM
Living with conflicts ARose General Discussion 16 08-13-2009 09:32 PM
Living Expenses?? binbrook23 General Discussion 12 07-03-2009 07:09 PM

Old tenant still living in house

Old 05-23-2013 at 10:57 PM   #1
Days

Liked: 0 Times

Old tenant still living in house
So me and my friends signed a year long contract with our landlord in February. Our lease began on May 1st. Problem is that it's now like the end of May and there's still one guy who hasn't moved out yet. Our landlord said he doesn't know when the guy is going to move out. What can we do? Can we kick him out ourselves? :/
Old 05-23-2013 at 11:01 PM   #2
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

your landlord is responsible for making sure previous tenants have moved out, no damage has been found, etc...

also, your landlord can legally evict him if he isn't paying rent or doesn't have a lease currently.

keep bugging your landlord. its his responsibility.

also maybe try talking to the old tenant? ask him to move the f*ck out!

EDIT: i'm pretty sure he's squatting. LOL
Old 05-24-2013 at 01:24 AM   #3
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

grow a pair and tell your landlord to make him leave.
Old 05-24-2013 at 02:35 AM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I would bug the landlord as someone said above, but if the guy is bugging you then you probably could call the police since he isn't supposed to be living there. Otherwise ask for a discount on the rent from your landlord and say you "wanted to use that room to live in during the summer"
Old 05-24-2013 at 09:17 AM   #5
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

If your landlord and the tenant didn't have an agreement as to him leaving then the tenant technically doesn't have to leave if he's still paying rent each month. It's sort of like if your lease is up and you want to stay in your room your landlord can't force you out if you're willing to keep paying rent. I'd talk to the tenant and ask what's going on.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

Kudos likes this.
Old 05-24-2013 at 11:33 AM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

If the tenant gave notice that he would leave at the end of April then they do actually need to leave and can be "evicted". If they never gave notice, then they can't be forced out, and your landlord never should have rented the room out to another person.