Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks Ricky Malhi Academics 1 09-08-2011 05:26 PM
Textbooks luna General Discussion 4 09-07-2011 01:23 PM
Textbooks Qadd Academics 2 08-02-2010 12:19 PM
Textbooks for Med Rad Black.Mamba Academics 4 08-01-2010 11:55 PM

omg textbooks

Old 08-23-2013
BobSmith99
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-23-2013 at 10:21 AM   #16
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Only buy what the professor considers "mandatory".

Then:
(1) find pdf versions online
(2) buy new off Amazon (take adv of the Amazon Prime student trial)
(3) buy new international editions off Ebay (My Auditing textbook this semester - Amazon $255 (http://goo.gl/9oKUR7), Int'l $56 (http://goo.gl/5m72T6))
(4) get no textbook at all

Keeping in mind that this excludes sharing as that is a pain and used textbooks because those are gross and in my experience not much cheaper than buying online. Plus you may be able to resell for higher than a used one.

It's harder to gauge the difficulty of a class at first (check professor rating sites), so go to it then decide if the book is even necessary. Once you hone this skill, you can do the online shopping before classes start. If Amazon prices are similarly outrageous to the campus bookstore (RIP Titles), check for international editions on Ebay. Don't forget to read item and seller reviews on all sites. As for finding it online, take what you can get, then decide how much you want your eyes to suffer. Plus, if your credit card offers cash back or some kind of reward for qualifying purchases, that's more savings. The campus bookstore should be your last resort for buying and selling. Use the FB group for selling.

Source: 4th year Accounting major. Opinions slightly more U.S. oriented.

AvacadoLover says thanks to Desda for this post.

AvacadoLover likes this.
Old 08-23-2013 at 11:31 AM   #17
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post

Keeping in mind that this excludes sharing as that is a pain and used textbooks because those are gross and in my experience not much cheaper than buying online. Plus you may be able to resell for higher than a used one.
I'm sorry... used textbooks are gross? I'm guessing you're someone who also shuns libraries?
Old 08-23-2013 at 04:17 PM   #18
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskBreaker View Post
*ahem* any tips? *ahem* I am a noob? *ahem* *ahem* *cough* *strangle* *dead*
Arrrr!!! Ahoy matey! Weigh anchor and set sails for the isle of Barbados where we shall unload our pirate booty in locale bay embankment!
Old 08-23-2013 at 04:20 PM   #19
Loko

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebs95 View Post
What's the title of the textbook required for computer science? and how do I know which version to buy?
You are talking about comp sci 1ba3 right, required first year course for business students. The book list says its CUST PKG: INTRO TO COMPUTING AND COMPUTER USE FOR BUSINESS, TEXT MS, OFFICE CD, 4 REF CARDS. It's the same version as last year also the first year it was released. I suggest buying it new because of the online resource or if there is a ebook buy that but I don't think there is one.

You can find the book at titles.

Last edited by Loko : 08-23-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2013 at 04:23 PM   #20
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
I'm sorry... used textbooks are gross? I'm guessing you're someone who also shuns libraries?
I agree with Desda. Used books especially at libraries are disease ridden. The person that used it last might love to read it while sitting on the toilet. Or the person might just love licking their finger to turn every pages while they are sick.

Libraries should really do away with physical books and just rent out ebooks. One copy gives pretty much infinite loans simultaneously and without the horrible hygiene associated with it.

Just remember! People that have $$$ would never go out and just borrow used books and there is a reason why.
Old 08-23-2013 at 06:06 PM   #21
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
I agree with Desda. Used books especially at libraries are disease ridden. The person that used it last might love to read it while sitting on the toilet. Or the person might just love licking their finger to turn every pages while they are sick.

Libraries should really do away with physical books and just rent out ebooks. One copy gives pretty much infinite loans simultaneously and without the horrible hygiene associated with it.

Just remember! People that have $$$ would never go out and just borrow used books and there is a reason why.
You could say the exact same thing about handling money and trying on clothes other people have tried on. Everything around us is "disease ridden". Get over it.
If people want to save their hard-earned money and buy used books or check out library books, you have no right to act snobby and make them feel like a low-life about it.

ashleighp, jon.john23 like this.
Old 08-23-2013 at 09:03 PM   #22
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
You could say the exact same thing about handling money and trying on clothes other people have tried on. Everything around us is "disease ridden". Get over it.
If people want to save their hard-earned money and buy used books or check out library books, you have no right to act snobby and make them feel like a low-life about it.
That is why you don't handle money? Instead, you use debit and credit cards!

I'm all for the plebs to better themselves. Was just pointing out that one shouldn't if one can afford it.

Anyway, back on topic. For the OP, wait till first day of class to buy your books like others suggested.
Old 08-23-2013 at 09:39 PM   #23
aurocks14

Liked: 7 Times

Haha comp sci 1ba3 is the biggest scam ever. Same thing repackaged every year with minor changes. It's so bootleg, I got my copy in 2011, the book said published in 2012...
Old 08-24-2013 at 07:51 AM   #24
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post

Lol this is the first time ever in my life that people worried about library books because they are disease ridden. Honestly what kind of infectious disease from humans would stay on books for that long plus the book probably has less germs than our hand, which touches everything.

ashleighp likes this.