MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Do you have a history of DEPRESSION? queenie Volunteering Opportunities 0 01-21-2012 12:40 PM
Is there anyone I can visit on campus about depression? Rakim Body & Food 2 11-08-2010 08:38 PM
Want to know what's up with the McMaster Students Union ? Nosh MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-13-2010 10:26 PM
...Depression? AdInfinitum General Discussion 7 03-01-2010 09:43 PM

One third of McMaster students battle depression, new survey released

"About 35 per cent of McMaster students report feeling depressed, and a little over one per cent have attempted suicide, the university's mental health team nurse says."

Since it is mental health awareness week, this article from CBC is pretty fitting.
http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/stor...ness-week.html

Interesting/sad how with so many people affected, stigma is still rampant, from both students and profs.

Commie42 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 10-02-2012 at 07:04 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times
dat engineering degree

Old 10-02-2012 at 07:22 PM   #3
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times
the only thing about this is that the survey in question was taken in 2009. most of the individuals from that time have now graduated and/or are going to be graduating. Although it is probably still the same it would be nice to see updated information. (i guess its just a pet peeve of mine when ppl cite outdated information) things do change so you never know, it may be better, but at the same time it may be worse.

Afzal, starfish like this.

Old 10-02-2012 at 07:25 PM   #4
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times
Starting to see more people stressed and depressed this week. I to, am stressed for the engineering midterms that are gonna kick my @ss this month :(

**Computer Engineering**

Old 10-02-2012 at 07:34 PM   #5
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times
Hth Sci 2nd year...

terrafirma likes this.

Old 10-02-2012 at 07:40 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times
Instead of specifying specific programs, I believe all students from all programs at various points in time feel overworked, under stress and depressed to various degrees. I guess it is one of the (darker) parts of getting your respective degree, but regardless, it should serve as a great learning experience.

Old 10-02-2012 at 07:40 PM   #7
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times
ya... ya.... :(

Old 10-02-2012 at 07:57 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
the only thing about this is that the survey in question was taken in 2009. most of the individuals from that time have now graduated and/or are going to be graduating. Although it is probably still the same it would be nice to see updated information. (i guess its just a pet peeve of mine when ppl cite outdated information) things do change so you never know, it may be better, but at the same time it may be worse.
If it follows the same trends as other universities, then it's probably worse. I've read some articles over the past week or so from Ryerson as well as a few other schools saying how over the past few years, use of their schools' mental health support systems has skyrocketed. In and of itself that isn't a bad thing, it doesn't necessarily mean that more people are experiencing problems, it could just be that more people are seeking help. I do believe that the stigma is still very strong though, so I'm inclined to believe that more people are experiencing problems. Mental health disorders are considered a disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, and yet profs are so much less willing to offer accommodations to these students than they would if, say, I had a broken dominant arm.

Edit: Found this article that is somewhat related and a very good read.

Last edited by starfish : 10-02-2012 at 08:08 PM.

BlueWave, doppelganger like this.

Old 10-02-2012 at 08:28 PM   #9
sdee

Liked: 8 Times
Hello, let me introduce you to someone named Jesus.

JackieChow, jim1 like this.

Old 10-02-2012
PhilM
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-02-2012 at 09:34 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Meh.

"Feeling depressed" and having the actual mental illness "Depression" are two totally different things. Not that students don't have to deal with depression, I'm sure many do, but I seriously doubt its 35% (probably closer to 10 - 25%, if I remember my psych correctly).

Just a bother of mine when poor wording (on the surveyor's part) is used to inflate a number to make it more dramatic. :/

ikantsepll says thanks to britb for this post.

Old 10-02-2012 at 10:00 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
i want to kill myself

Afzal, Demovibutler like this.

Old 10-02-2012 at 10:47 PM   #12
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Hth Sci 2nd year...
dont u have a yoga class in 2nd year

Old 10-02-2012 at 10:57 PM   #13
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Meh.

"Feeling depressed" and having the actual mental illness "Depression" are two totally different things. Not that students don't have to deal with depression, I'm sure many do, but I seriously doubt its 35% (probably closer to 10 - 25%, if I remember my psych correctly).

Just a bother of mine when poor wording (on the surveyor's part) is used to inflate a number to make it more dramatic. :/
Ya I feel like a lot of cases in this survey people equated "feeling depressed" with "feeling sad or stressed". Just masks the real problem many face unfortunately.

Old 10-03-2012 at 12:26 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Meh.

I'm sure they just mean "depression" as a mood and not actual clinical depression. But surveys should really distinguish between these things because being depressed is nothing compared to clinical depression. University is important for the majority of students and it's not an easy thing to accomplish. Life is hard and can often lead to times where one can feel "hopeless" when they encounter a large obstacle that feels impossible to overcome (Like a really hard exam) and as a result they may feel despair. I personally think it's a legitimate reaction. But if people fall into clinical depression then it can be very serious. I just hope McMaster's Health and Wellness Centre is screening students properly.

BlueWave likes this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search