MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Does McMaster have online subscriptions for the New Yorker or the Economist? dumbconsumer General Discussion 6 03-09-2011 10:08 PM
Online Petition Against Excess Cancer-Causing Emissions in Hamilton lorend MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-20-2010 09:15 AM
Mcmaster Online Courses Arnold Academics 2 09-08-2008 07:49 PM
Online = McMaster? meerf Academics 5 08-16-2007 12:41 AM

Online Petition for Bike lanes at McMaster

Old 08-25-2011 at 08:48 PM   #15
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's not the road where they are putting a divider. It's on University Ave, the road that divides BSB+JHE from Divinity+LSB.

Source: The map which was provided in the original post.
That's what I mean... why bother with a divider with the one lane ends up at a basic dead end (the lane that runs closer to LSB)? It's basically blocked off near Mills with a sign (or it used to be) 'peds only'

Except for buses I almost never see anything on that whole road... its the one that runs between PC/Mohawk Building and ABB/left of JHE that's busy...

Old 08-25-2011 at 08:59 PM   #16
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
That's what I mean... why bother with a divider with the one lane ends up at a basic dead end (the lane that runs closer to LSB)? It's basically blocked off near Mills with a sign (or it used to be) 'peds only'

Except for buses I almost never see anything on that whole road... its the one that runs between PC/Mohawk Building and ABB/left of JHE that's busy...
To pretty up the place I'm sure.

Old 08-25-2011 at 09:03 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post

I assume they want to waste their/our money and make the middle of campus prettier.

The road is only allowed to be used by buses (and aren't they slowly transitioning the HSR buses off campus?). The road itself is not a dead end though, it runs from sterling to main street.

I'm really disappointed in McMaster for going ahead with this, I'm probably more disappointed in the MSU for not making this more known to the students. Has anyone heard of these plans before?

Old 08-25-2011 at 09:03 PM   #18
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Its my understanding that most of this construction was a surprise to most people.
It was posted on the parking website ages ago. http://parking.mcmaster.ca/

"new traffic calming and landscaping features along University Ave. To further enhance the safety and appearance of campus."

All it does is force students to use the cross walks which will stop students from darting in front of buses. So unlike the claims of that petition it would improve safety.

Old 08-25-2011 at 09:06 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinbf View Post
It was posted on the parking website ages ago. http://parking.mcmaster.ca/

"new traffic calming and landscaping features along University Ave. To further enhance the safety and appearance of campus."

All it does is force students to use the cross walks which will stop students from darting in front of buses. So unlike the claims of that petition it would improve safety.
That's terrible. How many students drive to McMaster and need parking compared to those who do not?

Old 08-25-2011 at 09:19 PM   #20
arathbon
Elite Member

They've solved one "safety issue" (and lets be honest 90% of the time people almost get run over is at the corners where you can never tell if the bus is waiting for people to go or is gunning for an opening) by creating another for the bikes. (Although again its not a big deal really unless you bike super slow as the buses already crawl through campus. It will suck though if you're biking south and want to go to a building on the east side or going north and want to go to a building on the west side though)

Old 08-25-2011 at 11:01 PM   #21
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times
Pros for median:
- It will look nice
- It will prevent mass jay walking so:
A) It's safer
B) It will help keep buses on time rather then crawling through crowds of students

Cons for median:
- Only one lane each direction.
- Most likely paid for with student fees
- It's a change from what people are used to

Personally I think the pros outweigh the cons. I have no problems biking on a one lane road especially a reduced speed zone where most cyclists would be going to speed limit as it is. I also don't care if I pay a dollar towards the project (I don't know the actual number but it will be miniscule). Factor in the safety considerations of students jaywalking constantly along that road as well as the aesthetics, I support the median.

Old 08-25-2011 at 11:17 PM   #22
mahmoosh

Liked: 0 Times
I believe you misunderstood the purpose of the petition. It's to provide a small change to this inevitable change of the median.

IT IS NOT OPPOSING THE BUILDING OF THIS MEDIAN.

Simply, to create more cross walks because of the mass of students that 'jay walk', one cross walk is simply NOT ENOUGH!

As well, I from your disgust of this petition I can tell you don't really use a bicycle on campus. It's very tight and that's unsafe. Cyclists will have to go on the sidewalk, which is dangerous. You left out the biggest con which is there is no consideration for those forms of transportation and favours motor vehicles.

Thus the novel suggestion is a bike lane.

I agree with your points but you have to understand: it is neglecting the students NEEDS over simply aesthetics which could be provided ANYWHERE else on that street (flowers on the lamps or extra flower pots)

Old 08-25-2011 at 11:19 PM   #23
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
Pros for median:
- It will look nice
Doesn't look horrible as is.

Quote:
- It will prevent mass jay walking so:
A) It's safer
B) It will help keep buses on time rather then crawling through crowds of students
Marginal safety improvement. Buses already crawl even when there's nobody around campus because of the stop sign and close stop spacing. Might actually slow them down if they're stuck behind a slow cyclist.

You also missed a con: pretty big relative inconvenience for a road that's infrequently used by anything bigger than a golfcart.

IMHO there's not a problem now, it won't be a huge problem after it's done but I prefer the way it is now. Overall its a waste of money unless aesthetics are important (and if they are, I can think of other places that need improvement more).

mahmoosh likes this.

Old 08-25-2011 at 11:27 PM   #24
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times
I for one am gonna be cruising around campus with my board.
Hope I don't get killed by a bus now.

Old 08-25-2011 at 11:46 PM   #25
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times
I dont like the idea of the new divider..

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 08-25-2011 at 11:50 PM   #26
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times
everyone is opposed to change at first ..give it time and you will all fall in love and take grad pics on campus with the nice flowers and trees.

Not that many people bike anyways compared to those that walk and Jay walk to get to classes between MDCL. Life sci and HSC to get to JHE , BSB etc.... the median will give them a spot to chill on until the bus passes rather than standing in the middle of traffic which can be nerve wrecking for some.

The median will also prevent overtaking of the buses by the random cars that drive through mac (that arent even supposed). Its safer for people crossing the road after getting off the bus.

It will make the cars drive safer since they dont have much room to drive wrecklessly.

That's my input

julianface, L'Étoile, Pay919 like this.

Old 08-25-2011 at 11:51 PM   #27
julianface
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmoosh View Post
I believe you misunderstood the purpose of the petition. It's to provide a small change to this inevitable change of the median.

IT IS NOT OPPOSING THE BUILDING OF THIS MEDIAN.

Simply, to create more cross walks because of the mass of students that 'jay walk', one cross walk is simply NOT ENOUGH!

As well, I from your disgust of this petition I can tell you don't really use a bicycle on campus. It's very tight and that's unsafe. Cyclists will have to go on the sidewalk, which is dangerous. You left out the biggest con which is there is no consideration for those forms of transportation and favours motor vehicles.

Thus the novel suggestion is a bike lane.

I agree with your points but you have to understand: it is neglecting the students NEEDS over simply aesthetics which could be provided ANYWHERE else on that street (flowers on the lamps or extra flower pots)
You're right it just seems that some people are opposing the median entirely.

Adding more crosswalks would be far worse because then busses would have to stop multiple times rather then once or twice. The median forces students to use the selected crosswalks. If you think about it there would not be much inconvenience from having to cross at the road behind mills or at mdcl (as long as that route is open) because the buildings between mdcl and mills are rarely frequented. For those students that often go to the divinity college having to cross at mdcl or the street south of mills would not be a big deal at all.

Cyclists wouldn't have to go on the sidewalk or squeeze in the lane they should do what cyclists should do in tight spaces and that is to take up the whole lane. A bus isn't going to rear end a bike when it's going 20 km/h in the middle of a busy campus. Ideally a bike lane as well as the median is the right call you are right. I bike a lot in the city and even on a 50 km/h road taking up the whole right lane if there isn't space is perfectly fine and just a standard safety measure. Cyclists need to take more responsibility they aren't babies they can look after themselves. Sorry I forgot to bold something in a while: A bike lane is far from a student NEED.

Old 08-25-2011 at 11:57 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
You're right it just seems that some people are opposing the median entirely.

Adding more crosswalks would be far worse because then busses would have to stop multiple times rather then once or twice. The median forces students to use the selected crosswalks. If you think about it there would not be much inconvenience from having to cross at the road behind mills or at mdcl (as long as that route is open) because the buildings between mdcl and mills are rarely frequented. For those students that often go to the divinity college having to cross at mdcl or the street south of mills would not be a big deal at all.

Cyclists wouldn't have to go on the sidewalk or squeeze in the lane they should do what cyclists should do in tight spaces and that is to take up the whole lane. A bus isn't going to rear end a bike when it's going 20 km/h in the middle of a busy campus. Ideally a bike lane as well as the median is the right call you are right. I bike a lot in the city and even on a 50 km/h road taking up the whole right lane if there isn't space is perfectly fine and just a standard safety measure. Cyclists need to take more responsibility they aren't babies they can look after themselves. Sorry I forgot to bold something in a while: A bike lane is far from a student NEED.
I'm sure the medians will also increase pedestrian traffic on the sidewalks. People already have to walk on the grass or street, preventing students from crossing the road early will just increase traffic.

Also, what ever happened to McMaster's plan to making the HSR buses go around McMaster instead of through McMaster?

Old 08-26-2011 at 12:14 AM   #29
julianface
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm sure the medians will also increase pedestrian traffic on the sidewalks. People already have to walk on the grass or street, preventing students from crossing the road early will just increase traffic.

Also, what ever happened to McMaster's plan to making the HSR buses go around McMaster instead of through McMaster?
That is true. If they could widen the sidewalks or something that would help because it's not very good for students to swarm the street every hour for 10 minutes essentially shutting it down. I love how the bus stop goes right through campus! I'll sign that petition to keep it going through the school.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search