MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Take Physics or Organic Chem in summer school? Aaliyah Academics 6 03-22-2013 02:06 PM
is organic chem offered every summer at mac? jake0405 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-24-2013 07:10 AM
Tutorials for Organic Chem during the summer gagaland Academics 4 05-01-2011 03:44 PM

Organic chem in the summer

Old 04-03-2013 at 11:21 AM   #1
unspoken

Liked: 0 Times

Organic chem in the summer
Is it a good idea to take organic chem in the summer ? or in the school year? and is taking it at the end of level 2 too late ?

and would you recommend taking it alongside phy 1b03.
Old 04-03-2013 at 01:53 PM   #2
Sam-I-am

Liked: 1 Time

just take in note you will only be able to take physics 1b03 in the term1 of the summer

also, u will be having 6 hrs of orgo lectures each week (2 weeks worth), which means you should be putting 18hrs of outside of class in terms of schoolwork (hw, assignments, studying, etc.)
u will also be having a 3 hr lab each week along with a 1hr tutorial (again each week)

then along with physics
again, 6 hrs of lecture but now two labs each week (since in dayschool, its already weekly)

not deter you from taking these classes, pulling it off is an astounding feat and is something i would say demands bragging rights when the rest of ur friends come back after the summer.
Just keep in mind the workload, so u dont associate summer school as extremely stressful and which in turn, would stop you form further fast tracking in the coming yrs (something tht should be done, by taking at least 2 courses in the summer - 1 per term, it'll keep u on edge, and will allow u to take upper yr classes if u wish to do so).

Srry to rant on, but this question you've asked is a faq, and i would like to just get it out there.
Note: the # of hrs i suggested as in out of class workload is for me, you can be much more capable and/or efficient. But it's whts ideal to soak in orgo at a fast paced (personal opinion)

Hope it helps, Cheers and GL
Old 04-03-2013 at 05:04 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^18 hours a week? u joking? and taking 2 courses in one term isnt as hard as u think it is unless you work 50+ hours a week on top of it. most of orgo and physics 1b03 is review and 1st orgo concepts are easy anyways.

orgo isnt hard. if u wanna relax in summer then dont do it. its fine in the year. 600 ppl beside u will take it then too and everyone doesnt do bad. it will be same difficulty in the summer as the year or close to it, but if u take only 1 course/term in the summer then any course should be a breeze. its not bad in the year either.

starfish likes this.
Old 04-03-2013 at 05:07 PM   #4
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

The two toughest courses taken together in one summer? No thanks...
Old 04-03-2013 at 06:58 PM   #5
unspoken

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
^18 hours a week? u joking? and taking 2 courses in one term isnt as hard as u think it is unless you work 50+ hours a week on top of it. most of orgo and physics 1b03 is review and 1st orgo concepts are easy anyways.

orgo isnt hard. if u wanna relax in summer then dont do it. its fine in the year. 600 ppl beside u will take it then too and everyone doesnt do bad. it will be same difficulty in the summer as the year or close to it, but if u take only 1 course/term in the summer then any course should be a breeze. its not bad in the year either.
so orgo on its own in the summer is not so bad? (right now in first yr chem im in the 11-12 ish range ) so I should be fine right ?
Old 04-03-2013 at 07:22 PM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

even if u get 3 in first year chem that wont matter when it comes to orgo. and no. u shouldnt be fine.
Old 04-03-2013 at 07:28 PM   #7
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Might burn you out for the following year.