MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
York Bio MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 04-13-2012 10:36 PM
New York trip Chevalier General Discussion 25 06-24-2011 04:54 PM
Best time to take GO bus to York? HerbalMeds General Discussion 19 01-20-2011 11:03 PM
Hello from New York! izumo13 Gaming 0 11-25-2009 04:13 PM
If We Get York 2.0... britb General Discussion 55 11-01-2009 04:28 PM

Orgo at Mac or York?

Old 04-20-2013 at 02:58 PM   #1
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

Orgo at Mac or York?
I know there's already a bunch of orgo in the summer type threads open but I haven't found one addressing this question yet. I understand that taking an LOP course means it won't be on your GPA, but I already took Physics 1B03/1BB3 as an LOP during first year summer.

Is it better to do it at Mac even though it'll add to my GPA? Do grad schools have a limit on how many LOP courses can be taken?

I'm just asking because I'd rather stay at home and take it at York but for some reason everyone does it at Mac?
Old 04-20-2013 at 03:28 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I know there's already a bunch of orgo in the summer type threads open but I haven't found one addressing this question yet. I understand that taking an LOP course means it won't be on your GPA, but I already took Physics 1B03/1BB3 as an LOP during first year summer.

Is it better to do it at Mac even though it'll add to my GPA? Do grad schools have a limit on how many LOP courses can be taken?

I'm just asking because I'd rather stay at home and take it at York but for some reason everyone does it at Mac?
It won't be in your McMaster GPA, but if you apply to grad schools they will count the marks towards your admissions average.

I think some people do it at Mac because it's logistically easier, and if you're planning on taking further orgo courses, taking the first two at Mac ensures that you won't miss anything. Logistics is probably the big thing though, for many people it's just easier and more convenient.
Old 04-20-2013 at 05:01 PM   #3
Christ

Oh so if I take orgo at York, even though it'll be considered pass or fail, grad schools will still look at the mark and consider that?

Does it matter that after taking orgo, this would be my 4th LOP course since I've already done physics?
Old 04-20-2013 at 05:12 PM   #4
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

The OP named himself christ.... lmfao wow
Old 04-20-2013 at 05:14 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Oh so if I take orgo at York, even though it'll be considered pass or fail, grad schools will still look at the mark and consider that?

Does it matter that after taking orgo, this would be my 4th LOP course since I've already done physics?
There might be a limit to the number of non-Mac courses that can be used for credit towards your degree. Check the course calendar or ask an academic advisor.
Old 04-20-2013 at 05:53 PM   #6
Ardougne

Liked: 20 Times

I took the orgo at York. The course was run very poorly at York in the summer, don't do it!. If it was me, I would do it at mac. At least here, you get some sort of proper notes and well run labs. The prof I had was still using a chalkboard. Just save yourself the trouble and do it at mac.

kaitotst likes this.
Old 04-20-2013 at 05:59 PM   #7
Christ

If you don't mind me asking, who was your prof at York Ardougne? I haven't heard the best things about Harrison who's teaching the course at Mac soo..
Old 04-20-2013 at 11:44 PM   #8
Chipmunk

Liked: 6 Times

I also have heard Paul Harrison makes unfair tests. Can anyone comment on this?
Old 04-21-2013 at 12:41 AM   #9
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
I also have heard Paul Harrison makes unfair tests. Can anyone comment on this?
After taking his class first term, I can confirm that his tests are absolutely horrifying. The class avg is in the 50s, and I honestly doubt he can even do his own questions. The questions are SO random, that you can do better by not studying and just google " organic chem questions" online. Not recommended at all if you care about your GPA (since you are a hth sci lol ) However, I did end up with a double digit, since the labs could boost your marks up!

Chipmunk says thanks to gggggg for this post.
Old 04-21-2013 at 09:33 AM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

I've had Harrison before and his tests were completely fair...
Old 04-21-2013 at 10:10 AM   #11
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

lol how can you say tests are unfair when you get 10+ in the course and when 70% of your mark is from tests.
Old 04-21-2013 at 12:07 PM   #12
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
lol how can you say tests are unfair when you get 10+ in the course and when 70% of your mark is from tests.
because I got 12s on all my other classes except this one. The class avg however is in the 50s for the exam and that is a fact since it is posted on Avenue. I studied really hard for his exam since it was my last exam and still got bad on it.
Old 04-21-2013 at 12:10 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
because I got 12s on all my other classes except this one. The class avg however is in the 50s for the exam and that is a fact since it is posted on Avenue. I studied really hard for his exam since it was my last exam and still got bad on it.
gettings 12s in another class isnt a reason for tests in another class being unfair. how did you do bad on the tests in this course if you got 10+ anyways? and it doesnt matter if you studied hard. you can still not get 12. LOL. class avg being in the 50s isnt bad anyways since this would make the class average in the mid-high 60s which is fine.
Old 04-21-2013 at 12:14 PM   #14
starfish
Elite Member

Lol way to take responsibility.

@ the OP...take the time to form your own opinions. It's fine to ask for others' opinions, but don't take them as fact.

gggggg clearly blames Harrison because they didn't get a 12 in the course.
I liked Harrison as a prof and found his tests fair.

If you take the course with him, you could have a good experience, a bad one, or somewhere in the middle
Old 04-22-2013 at 02:38 AM   #15
macjkk

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:

Although courses taken outside of Mac count as pass/ fail, grad schools will still look at the mark. You have to submit transcripts from all the schools you've attended.

I highly doubt that taking 4 LOP courses has any consequences.