MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Kin 3E03 mitch 3rd Year Course Reviews 7 05-18-2015 03:45 AM
Anthropology 3E03 ardenelva 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 06-07-2010 11:04 AM
Phil 2d03, Phil 2yy3 Or Hlth Aging 3e03???? iki_31 Academics 2 06-02-2010 09:02 PM
Religious Studies 3E03 panc2 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 09-02-2009 06:12 PM

Origins 3E03

Origins 3E03
Origins of Structure in the Universe
Published by temara.brown
07-29-2008
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Origins 3E03

This course is only offered every other year. It was last offered in 2007-2008, which is when I took it.

There were two professors who's specialities combined provided very interesting insight into the spectrum of structure types found in the universe.
Basically, you will look at details about the formation of structure in the universe from the beginning (big bang theory) and how from that big bang, we got clustered groups like galaxy clusters and galaxies. You eventually made your way down to star formation and planetary formation and a study about how these objects could have been formed.
There are a few projects to be completed in this class but they are extremely interesting! My topic was on dark energy, its discovery and current study. Others involved a focus on brown dwarfs, black holes, quasars, etc.
If you are an origins research student, definitely take this class! If you are studying Physics or Astronomy, I would definitely recommend this class to you as well!
It involved a good understanding of working with formulae so I would make sure you're confortable with that while entering the course. But, this class has only been offered once so far, so it might be different next year.

manaya says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Origins 3E03!

Old 06-01-2010 at 07:33 AM   #2
BenScott
Program: Medical Sciences
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1 Time
The actual title for this course is "Origins 3C03: Origins of Structure in The Cosmos". Not to be confused with "Origins 3E03: Origins of Species and Diversity".

Other than that, helpful review!
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-01-2010 at 07:50 AM   #3
BenScott
Program: Medical Sciences
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1 Time
Origins 3E03
Easily one of my all time favourite courses that I've taken!

The material was focused on how the genetics of an organism affect its body plan, acting as a mechanism for evolution. I learned more about genetics, gene regulation, and evolution than in any other class I've taken!

As for the format, it was almost entirely group presentations with little to no lecturing from Dr. Stone. Each group was assigned a chapter from the text book to summarize and then lead a discussion in class about their chapter. Dr. Stone acted as the moderator, and answered any questions we couldn't. This lead to some fun and really interesting discussions about gene regulation and evolution!

This class was definitely on the easy end of the scale, with the only mandatory class time being a 2 hour tutorial once a week (the other scheduled class periods were to attend Origins 2FF3, but considering that's no longer offered this will likely change). There were no midterms, nor a final exam.

The majority of the marks come from participation, both in class and on ELM (online). The rest come from a panel discussion with one of the authors of the text book, Sean Carroll, who came to visit Mac. This was by far the most fun aspect of the course, as afterward we got to chat with him over a beer at The Phoenix!

Great course, however it will likely be slightly different when it's next offered (i.e. Sean Carroll can't come every time!)
Old 06-02-2010 at 08:07 PM   #4
n_kissoon
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Too bad this course isnt being taught for 2010/2011

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search