MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Origins 3B03: Origins of Elements AnimeGamer31 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 04-25-2014 09:10 PM
Origins Research Specialization houstatlanta Academics 11 06-03-2012 04:38 PM
Program Specialization? ThagsanaR First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 04-30-2011 01:12 AM
Origins program? jubilantx Academics 3 04-08-2010 11:26 AM
The Origins Specialization goodnews.inc Academics 3 02-16-2010 03:45 PM

How is the origins specialization program?

Old 11-08-2014 at 10:56 PM   #1
aimes723

Liked: 0 Times

How is the origins specialization program?
How difficult is it to get into any of the origins specialization programs? Specifically bio and life sci with origins research specialization. The origins research specialization is something I am definitely considering, but what happens if you don't get into the major with this specialization? Can you shadow the program and maybe switch after?

Is there a limited enrolment for just biology and biology with origins research? If so, what is it?

I went to an academic advisor and she wasn't the most helpful so any information would be appreciated
Old 11-09-2014 at 07:39 AM   #2
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Hey Aimes,

I believe the Origins program is going to stop accepting new students starting next year due to budget cuts. I think the plan for the program is to keep some of the major courses running such as the second year courses and eventually in the future maybe bringing it back as a minor or stream. It's still up in the air. But if you are still interested, I encourage you to speak with Dr. Stone. He is very helpful and friendly and he tries to assist students interested in Origins to the best of his abilities. You may perhaps get the chance to work on a research project related to the 6 themes of Origins depending on your interests. I would not be surprised if you can work on astrobiology despite the Origins program being disassembled.

If for some miracle that the program still continues next year, then getting in is not hard at all. As long as you get the grade cutoff, then it should be fine to get in. The program is quite small and there isn't a lot of competition to get in. In the unlikely case that you do not get in, you can certainly shadow the program since the courses are all open. I don't think there is limited enrolment because the numbers are already so small.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 11-09-2014 at 08:37 AM   #3
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
Hey Aimes,

I believe the Origins program is going to stop accepting new students starting next year due to budget cuts. I think the plan for the program is to keep some of the major courses running such as the second year courses and eventually in the future maybe bringing it back as a minor or stream. It's still up in the air. But if you are still interested, I encourage you to speak with Dr. Stone. He is very helpful and friendly and he tries to assist students interested in Origins to the best of his abilities. You may perhaps get the chance to work on a research project related to the 6 themes of Origins depending on your interests. I would not be surprised if you can work on astrobiology despite the Origins program being disassembled.

If for some miracle that the program still continues next year, then getting in is not hard at all. As long as you get the grade cutoff, then it should be fine to get in. The program is quite small and there isn't a lot of competition to get in. In the unlikely case that you do not get in, you can certainly shadow the program since the courses are all open. I don't think there is limited enrolment because the numbers are already so small.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Also, check out the weekly talks we have from speakers. Speakers come from different backgrounds and from other parts of the world. I encourage you to attend the ones that interest you and perhaps even talk to the speaker if you are interested. We had one speaker come in talking about anti-virulence which focuses on "disarming" harmful bacteria and "arming" "good" bacteria. This is an alternative approach to using anti-biotics and is a more sustainable approach. The talks are free to attend.

http://origins.mcmaster.ca/research/colloquia