MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wind service on hamilton mountain? anon491 General Discussion 5 02-27-2012 01:53 PM
African Lion Safariiiii lux Academics 3 02-06-2011 10:56 AM
No busses to African Lion Safari? lawleypop Automotive & Transportation 15 03-05-2010 01:02 PM
How was the Mountain formed? Allan General Discussion 1 01-27-2009 06:07 PM

OS X Mountain Lion

Old 07-21-2012 at 01:20 PM   #1
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

OS X Mountain Lion
Is anyone else waiting for the release of Apple latest operating system: OS X Mountain Lion? It's going to be released on July 25 and can be purchased from the App Store for $19.99.

Edit: I bet it will be way better than Windows 8.

Last edited by Alexmahone : 07-21-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2012 at 01:45 PM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

This is what comes to mind

Last edited by Snowman : 07-21-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Old 07-21-2012 at 01:53 PM   #3
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I wonder what they'll call the one after Mountain Lion.
Old 07-21-2012 at 02:08 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
I wonder what they'll call the one after Mountain Lion.
Me and one of my friends had a discussion about that yesterday, we never reached a consensus on what animal they are likely to use next
Old 07-21-2012 at 02:11 PM   #5
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Me and one of my friends had a discussion about that yesterday, we never reached a consensus on what animal they are likely to use next
Edit: Didn't realize they're all supposed to be cat names.

Last edited by Alexmahone : 07-21-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2012 at 02:24 PM   #6
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

I'm looking forward to Mountain Lion since I get it free with my new MacBook Air

Apart from that, there's not much I like, Messages will be handy and Power Nap's kinda cool, but I wouldn't pay money for it otherwise.

I really want to like Windows 8 but based on my experience with Release Preview, it's a mess. Things that I can do in seconds with Windows XP and 7, take much longer because of the Metro UI.
Old 07-21-2012 at 03:31 PM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Looking forward to the notification pane, voice dictation and power nap

Getting it for free since I bought my Macbook after WWDC
Old 07-21-2012 at 04:20 PM   #8
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Windows 8...
Old 07-21-2012 at 04:49 PM   #9
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Can't wait for mountain lion! and on the coolness of names what about lynx?! totally cool. you're welcome, apple

Porsche911 likes this.
Old 07-21-2012 at 05:45 PM   #10
Porsche911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
Can't wait for mountain lion! and on the coolness of names what about lynx?! totally cool. you're welcome, apple
Lynx does sound awesome, but may be too similar to Linux since there are 3 letters shared.

I actually don't think Apple will name their next desktop OS since they don't have names for iOS.
Old 07-21-2012 at 05:55 PM   #11
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Oh god. Mountain Lion. I have a huge love-hate relationship with Mountain Lion.

Mountain Lion is a pristine example of shitty design. I have no idea what happened to Apple over the last 4 years, but it seems that the HIG is now some sort of joke. Ridiculous skeuomorphs, unusable UX, and design inconsistencies across the board. Look at Address Book (or is it now Contacts), Game Center, Notes, and Notifications. What were they thinking?

They've changed Safari so that tabs span the entire window's width. The dashboard background is disgusting (really, studded rubber? Who the **** thought of that?) And linen everywhere. During file copies and moves, there's a inline progress bar over the file, and an 'x' to cancel the copy, but it's positioned in the most ridiculous of places. The greyscale sidebar and toolbar icons aren't so bad, but the icon design isn't so good. For such tiny icons, there needs to be more highlights and details, and not just solid block of black. Share buttons everywhere. Pretty much every new icon since Lion has absolutely no effort put into it. And what's the use of launchpad?

Oh, and as mentioned, the naming and logo. Snow Leopard looked sexy, and sounded sexy. Lion was still alright. It looked and sounded majestic, even. Mountain Lion? It's a step back in naming hierarchy, and it looks so...bleh. I mean, look at that.

All that said, it has a lot of features from Lion that I'm growing weary of not having, as well as new features that I really want. Full screen, minimal, disappearing scrollbars, Safari unified search bar, iCloud integration (it'll come in handy for stupidly simple, well-integrated backup, but I don't have any other Apple devices ), and dictation. Calendar looks like a pretty big upgrade UI-wise and UX-wise (despite the skeuomorphed leather). Preview seems to be revamped, and iMessages seems to be incredibly useful, seeing as almost everyone has an iPhone or Mac nowadays. Popovers and much quicker Dictionary access. Oh, and Auto Save and Versions are a huge yes.

I would love to remain on Snow Leopard. Pretty much every aspect of it seemed well thought through (except iTunes and the Stacks scrollbar). Everything about it was gorgeous, from the package design *drools* to the OS itself. The Aurora is one of the best wallpapers of all time. It's the best OS Apple has ever made. But it seems it's time to let go.

Last edited by Yogurt : 07-21-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Snowman, Watoko like this.
Old 07-21-2012 at 06:55 PM   #12
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I'm still on Snow Leopard and do not plan on upgrading. I have Lion dual booted just because I needed Xcode 4 for a while, but that's it. Some of the apps coming out with 10.8 sound nice, and the "sleep but actually active" thing might be cool if you can restrict it to only happening while plugged in, but otherwise, I'm not impressed.

Pkreps, Swampis like this.
Old 07-21-2012 at 06:59 PM   #13
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
Lynx does sound awesome, but may be too similar to Linux since there are 3 letters shared.

I actually don't think Apple will name their next desktop OS since they don't have names for iOS.
True, but if they put a picture of a lynx on the cover, then people will be like "WOW, look at the cat with the big ears!" most people probably won't even know what a lynx looks like. But back to the new iOS, does anyone know when it's available on the App store?
Old 07-21-2012 at 07:44 PM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Probably July 25th.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Misspolitics says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 07-21-2012 at 07:45 PM   #15
Porsche911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
But back to the new iOS, does anyone know when it's available on the App store?
Just like with Mountain Lion, Apple is being vague.

My guess is it will coincide with the iPhone 5 (or the new iPhone if they follow the iPad's naming convention). It's too bad that not all the phones will get the all the features. But I guess Siri was an indicator.