MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP Course Load Changes Desda Financial Aid 1 09-29-2010 04:42 PM
course load megg.noelle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-12-2010 05:13 PM
Osap- Determining Course Load sloth Financial Aid 2 07-09-2010 09:18 AM
Course Load James General Discussion 3 06-25-2009 06:59 PM
How's This Course Load? zango First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-08-2008 08:14 PM

OSAP & Course Load

Old 09-20-2009 at 06:07 PM   #1
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

OSAP & Course Load
Hi guys!

Alright so initially my OSAP funding states i'm on a 100% course load. I'm in the Nursing program, and I WAS taking the following:

Comp in Nursing: 3 Credits
Patho 1 & 2: 6 Credits
Theory 1 & 2: 6 Credits
Soc: 3 Credits
Clinical 1 & 2: 30 Credits

I dropped day-time soc and registered for it online through distance-ed which starts next month, & I dropped comp as well, and i'm taking it in the winter instead (i'll have easier classes then).

So, what I basically did was drop 2 courses, and replace one with an online course.

I got full OSAP, so i'm wondering if me dropping these two courses is going to effect my OSAP funding, and how i'd determine my new course load %? I know you need 60% to get full OSAP, am I at 60% with the dropped courses?

Somebody help!
Old 09-20-2009 at 06:32 PM   #2
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I can't say for sure since you've already received it, but when i went to collect my OSAP on Friday, they had to readjust it from a 100% course load to a 60% course load, and I was about to lose a good chunk of money. Luckily, I took time time off work before I quit for school, and the amount of income I lost was enough to make up for the difference.

I was told that any changes to OSAP made from now on would have to be reported to the Financial Aid office, and the adjustments would appear on the next terms OSAP funding. So there is a chance you will lose some OSAP.
Old 09-20-2009 at 06:45 PM   #3
Greco

so online courses don't count towards my course load then?

I basically just dropped two daytime courses, and replaced them with two online courses.
Old 09-20-2009 at 06:50 PM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
so online courses don't count towards my course load then?

I basically just dropped two daytime courses, and replaced them with two online courses.
I dont know how they factor in. You're probably best to ask the school tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2009 at 08:09 PM   #5
EmilySusie

I dropped one of my courses in mid/late August. I negotiated my loans a few weeks later and told the person that I dropped one course and asked how it would affect my OSAP. She said it shouldn't be affected right now, but they may decrease the amount I receive in January. Sure enough, in about a week I got an e-mail from OSAP saying that my loans have been recalculated. I ended up getting my OSAP the next day and it was the same amount that I expected to be released this term. So I assume my January amount was changed, although it doesn't look like much... I haven't looked into it much yet but I'm sure I'll manage.

BTW, I remember my course load being changed, to something like 90%. I think how it works is: full course load= 10 courses or 30 units(for most faculties, Engineering is more)=100%, so each course or 3 units=10%. So if you only dropped two courses worth three credits each, you would have 24 units, which is 80%.. if you count your online course you have 27 units= 90%. I don't know if I have that right but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

You could ask the Financial aid office but probably the only way to find out is the submit the change (you'll need to fill out a form at Financial aid) and wait to see if it changes. All changes in income, course load, etc. need to be reported so it's very important that you do that soon.
Old 09-21-2009 at 11:45 AM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I think dropping 3 units will result in approximately $600-$700 less funding, depending on faculty, year, etc.

3 units generally cost about 500-550, maybe a 60, 70 dollar text, and they give you a bit extra for 'cost of living.'