MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Osap:change in funding AnnaM Financial Aid 1 09-03-2010 10:07 PM
OSAP funding on hold? EasternHeat Financial Aid 3 08-10-2010 02:01 PM
Question regarding RESP/funding!!! VoyozooT General Discussion 15 08-23-2009 04:28 PM
When does the OSAP funding summary get released? sad cypress First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-14-2008 03:29 PM

OSAP - Estimating Your Funding, and more!

OSAP - Estimating Your Funding, and more!

By DANNY VACAR, MACINSIDERS

OSAP, the Ontario Student Assistance Program, "provides assistance in various forms to over 200,000 students per year." They give you money to pay for school which you will pay back once you have graduated.

To get a rough estimate of the amount you can expect to receive, go to the OSAP site (http://osap.gov.on.ca). In the left sidebar, under Planning, click '
OSAP Aid Estimator'.

Read the information on the page then click NEXT. This next page tells you that the information you will be providing is similar to the one you will need to provide when you fill in your actual application. It also reminds you that this is a rough estimate and that your assessment may be less when you fill out the actual application (so don’t start spending the money just yet).

On the next page find McMaster University in the list, type in your program name and click SEARCH. Unfortunately the search is not that great. It will give you all program matches for the keywords you entered (in my case, all matches for “computer” and “engineering”). Find your program in the list and also make sure that the year column shows the year you will be entering.

After you have selected your program, you will be taken to the “Personal Circumstances” page. The choices here are a bit confusing so make sure you read them and understand what they mean. As the note at the top says “Most single high school students with no dependent children will check the last statement, "none of the above statements applies to you ". Choose the correct answers for your particular situation and click NEXT.

Next is the “Financial Circumstances” page where you will be entering how much you expect to earn over the summer and during the school year. You also enter the value of your vehicle (if you own one), of your RRSP (if you have one) and other investments and savings. If some of these do not apply to you just enter 0.

Once you click next you will be taken to your estimated summary. On this page you are shown an estimate of your costs then an estimate of the OSAP funding you will receive. The costs estimate includes tuition, compulsory fees (ugh), books and supplies and travel and living allowances. The estimated funding is broken up into provincial and federal student loans and provincial and federal in-year grants. You also get a link to find out about financial aid available from McMaster.

Near the bottom of the page you are shown your Estimated Outstanding Debt which is usually reduced to $7,000 per year by the Ontario Student Opportunity Grant. You are also shown an estimated Tax Credit.

The OSAP site, http://osap.gov.on.ca, has a wealth (HA!) of information on the program and it now includes some great functionality. Apart from seeing how much to expect in funding, you can also calculate how much you can expect to pay back when you graduate and what aid is available from the school of your choice.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 05-02-2008 at 03:04 PM   #2
J-Met
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Prospective Student

Liked: 136 Times
When it asks for vehicle value/total value of assets...you dont put your parents assets right? I put zero for everything because I dont have a job, a car, any property, or any RESP savings lol
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 05-02-2008 at 03:12 PM   #3
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management
Year: Other

Liked: 207 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
When it asks for vehicle value/total value of assets...you dont put your parents assets right? I put zero for everything because I dont have a job, a car, any property, or any RESP savings lol
That's right. Your parents assets are not taken into account in the estimator. If you click on the hyperlinked (or underlined) words on the page you should get a definition of what the government considers income, other assets, etc.

What makes this a really rough estimate is the fact that on the actual application your parents' financial status will be taken into account. This continues for 4 years after you have finished highschool. After 4 years their finances no longer come into play (there's an explanation for that on the OSAP site as well).
Old 05-02-2008 at 03:30 PM   #4
J-Met
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Prospective Student

Liked: 136 Times
Well, the estimator does ask for your parents yearly gross income...I`m assuming that the estimate should be fairly close to your actual appication.

Old 05-02-2008 at 03:45 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
This is great, I wish I had known all this in my first year!
Old 05-02-2008 at 03:54 PM   #6
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Well, the estimator does ask for your parents yearly gross income...I`m assuming that the estimate should be fairly close to your actual appication.
Really? Hmmm I guess it depends on the choices you make because I wasn't asked.

Well in that case the estimate should be close to the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
This is great, I wish I had known all this in my first year!
This is a really new feature. It wasn't there when I last applied (2006) but I agree it would have been good to have an idea. Ah well, at least we can now figure out how much we can expect to be paying per month when we have to pay it all back :(
Old 05-05-2008 at 09:58 PM   #7
david_08
Faculty: Science
Year: Fourth

Liked: 0 Times
I'm going into second year, and I;m wondering if I can still apply for OSAP?..i didnt apply in first year, but now i'm thinking I will need the money. Do you think I can still apply?
Old 05-06-2008 at 06:20 AM   #8
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_08 View Post
I'm going into second year, and I;m wondering if I can still apply for OSAP?..i didnt apply in first year, but now i'm thinking I will need the money. Do you think I can still apply?
You can apply for OSAP at any point during your university career. It doesn't matter if you haven't applied in first year. I skipped second year because I was able to save up enough from jobs and such, but in third year I applied again and had no problem getting funding.
Old 06-10-2008 at 08:38 AM   #9
chaudhary.ak
Faculty: Engineering
Year: First

osap
hey when i applied to osap there ws no programm as engineering1 so does tat means tat v cn choose any first year enngineering nd will be automatically considered as engineering 1 nd does annyone knw wat is mailing address to send the signature pages frr osap.....thanks..
Old 06-10-2008 at 09:01 AM   #10
JBeans
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Year: Alumni
Residence: Matthews (06-08), SOCS (08-10)

Liked: 14 Times
If I remember correctly, in my first year I just chose what department I was planning to go into for engineering on my osap.
You would fill in a mailing address if you're not living at home right now. Otherwise, just have the paperwork sent to your permanent address.
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:29 AM   #11
chaudhary.ak
Faculty: Engineering
Year: First

??????????????
this year to make the process easier nd quiker v cn print the supporting documents(i.e. paper work) required by osap nd mail them but i couldnt find the mailing address nd fr applying to the program i checked all the programs none of them at osap says engineering 1 there is year 1 fr all the engineering offered at mcmaster like mechinical, electrical , chemical, civil ..................... ..................... ....
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:50 PM   #12
JBeans
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Year: Alumni
Residence: Matthews (06-08), SOCS (08-10)

Liked: 14 Times
You mail the supporting documents to the finacial aid office here at Mac. As for the program, you pick any of the engineering departments for year one on your osap application. They are all identical and you change it next year once you know what department you will be in. It caused some confusion for me before too.

Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships
McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West

Gilmour Hall, Room 120
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4L8

(905) 525-9140 ext. 24319
Fax: (905) 521-9565
Old 06-11-2008 at 09:23 AM   #13
Alireza
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering

I sent my OSAP info back on May 25th, any idea on when they will show the status of my funding? when I click on status it says "It will be available in June", but what time in June :S?
Old 06-11-2008 at 09:26 AM   #14
Eva C
Elite Member
Program: Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Les Prince Hall 613 (06/07), Mary. E. Keyes 410(07/08), Brandon Hall (08/09), Les Prince (09/10)

Liked: 3 Times
that's really hard to say. sometimes they come out early, sometimes they come out later. They do have a process alot of applications. I would just check every so often when you are free to see if it is up, but just dont' expect so early. your estimate should give you a general idea of what you will be getting.
Old 06-11-2008 at 09:55 AM   #15
Alireza
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering

Thanks for the reply Eva, I just had 1 more question inregards to RESP on OSAP. Lets says I have like 10,000 in my RESP, but I put on the OSAP application only 1,000, meaning that I will take only take out 1,000 of the 10,000 out this year. However later on I decide that I need to take out more like 4,000 or 5,000 during the school year. Could OSAP find out about this? and if they do, will they penalize me on my OSAP for 2nd year? Thanks

Article Tools