MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP and Flex OSAP Plan HELP! knguyens2 Financial Aid 4 08-23-2010 09:40 AM
Help with SOLAR and ELECTIVES! PLS PLS PLS HELP! parents are killing me! jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-04-2010 11:34 PM
Killing 5 hours between classes reeves First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 65 09-02-2009 10:05 AM
The How To: Killing Time When You Have Lots of it ferreinm Misc 6 01-01-2009 10:59 PM

OSAP is killing me...

Old 08-23-2010 at 08:57 AM   #1
DanielaC

Liked: 1 Time

OSAP is killing me...
Hello, I'm new to this thread but I need answers to ease my mind. On my Osap application I made a mistake. I told them I was getting other government aid but I selected the wrong one. They think I get Ontario works, but I really get Disabled Contributor's Child benefit. I did not learn of this mistake until last Friday (20th), and it's now Monday the 23rd. I called McMaster Financial Aid Office and told the woman of my mistake. She really had no answers for me except that I may receive my osap a little later since they have to process the new documents and that (as we all know) takes forever. She gave me no other information. I have to now send in an osap change form and a photo copy of the stamp paper I get from the government for my benefit. I want to know if this being given in so late will not only affect the time I receive my osap but also the amount I am enititled to. I am freaking out because I really need the help. I'm living on residence and the total comes up to: $13 700! Osap estimated that I would receive just enough to cover all the costs. So will the fact that I receive another type of aid (I only receive $200 a month, so it's not a lot) affect my overall funding by a lot?

Anyone else in the same predicament as me? Making a mistake and realizing this when it's almost too late? :( someone please provide me with answers... Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010 at 09:45 AM   #2
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Email them at [email protected] and state your case. Or to probably ease your mind even further, give SFAS a call at the Mac number ext. 24319.
Old 08-23-2010 at 12:39 PM   #3
DanielaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Luu_ View Post
Email them at [email protected] and state your case. Or to probably ease your mind even further, give SFAS a call at the Mac number ext. 24319.
I have already called the Financial aid office at McMaster. The woman I spoke to was kinda rude and rushed me. I had to send in an osap change form stating the mistake that I made and a photocopy of the stub from my last government issued check for the disabled contributor's child benefit. I just sent in everything to McMaster and got it sent as express which takes 1-2 business days to arrive on location. She also told me that it would take about 2-4 weeks to process it through osap before any changes are made. For sure my osap is going to be delayed according to her which means I have to pay the late penalty fee of $35... Great. I asked her if my funding would be affected and she said she didn't know and that I wouldnt know until everything was processed. I'm slightly still freaking out as I need the money and cannot afford for my aid to be lowered...
Old 08-23-2010 at 01:17 PM   #4
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

If when you do get your new estimate its not enough, there are some steps you can take. According to this: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/osap.html (under OSAP Application Changes) you can try to appeal you assessment (as long as its not at the maximum already)

It also says at the very bottom that if you are "Unsure how a change will affect your eligibility" then you should contact a Student Loans Officer: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/office.html

If you don't want to wait, I would say to try and set up a meeting with one of these officers, they would most likely have more information than the information assistants that probably answer the phones.

good luck, I hope everything works out for you.
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:15 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielaC View Post
I have already called the Financial aid office at McMaster. The woman I spoke to was kinda rude and rushed me. I had to send in an osap change form stating the mistake that I made and a photocopy of the stub from my last government issued check for the disabled contributor's child benefit. I just sent in everything to McMaster and got it sent as express which takes 1-2 business days to arrive on location. She also told me that it would take about 2-4 weeks to process it through osap before any changes are made. For sure my osap is going to be delayed according to her which means I have to pay the late penalty fee of $35... Great. I asked her if my funding would be affected and she said she didn't know and that I wouldnt know until everything was processed. I'm slightly still freaking out as I need the money and cannot afford for my aid to be lowered...
You can still change your payment agreement, take off OSAP as a payment method and pay yourself. If you can't pay that much, then choose one of the flex plans. If you still can't pay that much then you'll have to take a loan from the bank.

Interest is charged on outstanding amounts in your student account at the end of each month. When you get your OSAP you can pay back your bank loan.

A lot of banks have student lines of credit, check into those.

If you need more financial help then you have to talk to a financial advisor at McMaster.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:08 PM   #6
DanielaC

I talked to a woman from the student accounts and cashiers office, and i told her about my situation, and that I had to get something cleared up with osap. I informed her that it would be late and that I sent in the remaining documents required. She said that the osap money for me should be available before September 30th, and that the flex plan fee would not be applied to my student account. I also do not think that this slight change to my osap will affect my aid, if at all. Osap knows that I am in need of government funding to go to school, due to my situation. I can't see how changing my status to receiving Disabled Contributor's Child Benefit would affect the amount of osap I will be receiving. I don't get a lot from them anyway.

I am currently just waiting for McMaster to receive the documents and then giving them to osap for verification. *Fingers crossed that everything works out in my favor*