MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Parents for OSAP Release? logans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-23-2010 10:49 PM
OSAP is killing me... DanielaC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-23-2010 04:08 PM
Message to Brandon Hall Parents lorend Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 0 10-19-2008 09:23 AM
An Article for the Parents lorend Misc 0 05-05-2008 08:46 PM

Help with SOLAR and ELECTIVES! PLS PLS PLS HELP! parents are killing me!

Old 06-04-2010 at 09:46 PM   #1
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Help with SOLAR and ELECTIVES! PLS PLS PLS HELP! parents are killing me!
1. how many electives must u have in the first year?

2. Which is the easiest elective? ---> (one with minimum work load and generally easy)

3. i got admitted to ENGINEERING CO-OP ONE and i found a site through the undergraduate calender and found this ---> could u pls confirm that this is right? http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1197.html

4. I'm a little confused about the field called "sections" in the SOLAR form. It has sub headings talking about core, unit and lab.
what are these?
And do the values for these show up automatically once i choose my course?

5. On the solar form, what is the code i have to enter for engineering coop 1?

6. Does the program (engineering coop 1) show up when i enter solar or do i need to key it in?
After this do i have to enter the course code for the programs on the site mentioned above?
Old 06-04-2010 at 09:51 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

1. Calm Down,

Ok, so the link you posted is correct. Those are all the courses you take for first year. For electives, most people take both the econs, and if you plan to go into management, you must take microeconomics.

When SOLAR opens for you, add those courses, and chose the CORE (lecture section), TUTORIAL, and LAB # you want. Then when your schedule is generated in August, check if theres conflicts. If there is, keep adjusting the core/lab/tutorial in conflict until its fixed. For this, its easier to use the master timetable for minimal conflicts.

Old 06-04-2010 at 10:00 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
1. how many electives must u have in the first year?

2. Which is the easiest elective? ---> (one with minimum work load and generally easy)

3. i got admitted to ENGINEERING CO-OP ONE and i found a site through the undergraduate calender and found this ---> could u pls confirm that this is right? http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1197.html

4. I'm a little confused about the field called "sections" in the SOLAR form. It has sub headings talking about core, unit and lab.
what are these?
And do the values for these show up automatically once i choose my course?

5. On the solar form, what is the code i have to enter for engineering coop 1?

6. Does the program (engineering coop 1) show up when i enter solar or do i need to key it in?
After this do i have to enter the course code for the programs on the site mentioned above?
1. It depends on your program, actually. Basically, on that link that you provided for your program - those are the courses you have to take. You have a total of 37 units in first year -- so, after registering for those required courses, any units you have left will be electives.

It says there that you have 6 units of approved complementary studies electives - you can find which ones you can take on this link: http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/documents/electives.pdf

2. The easiest elective I've had was Linguistics 1A03 and Linguistics 1AA3. They don't involve essays, and if you go to class and do the weekly homeworks/assignments, you'll be fine. But I can't tell you what'll be easiest for you unfortunately.

3. Yes, that's the right one.

4. Sections consist of cores, labs and tutorials; represented as C#, L# and T#. Basically, classes have more than one 'section' of classes, taught at different times of the week. Cores or C# are lectures, so you choose the ones that fits most appropriately with your timetable. Tutorials or T# are smaller classes of about 30 or less, where you have a teaching assistant meet with you every week to go over the material and do extra stuff. Labs are what they sound like, basically the same as what you did in high school. They sometimes happen every other week, this is indicted with a red EOW.

Consult this: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/ to see what times each core, lab, and tutorial occurs and make up a mock timetable. When you go into SOLAR in June, you will only be able to pick your cores. When SOLAR opens again later on in the summer, it will have chosen your tutorials and labs for you, but you can still switch the times around. Hence why making a mock timetable beforehand will help you avoid conflicts (where classes/tutorials/labs happen at the same time).

You can use this as a reference for making a mock timetable: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2273 2

5. I'm not sure of this actually, but I'm sure someone else can answer.

6. It will show up automatically I believe.
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:11 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
6. It will show up automatically I believe.
Yeah, all programs that you are eligible for will be there. You pick the one you want right before picking your courses.

Also, what the hell is a SOLAR form?
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:21 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

For engineering, you can only get accepted into 1 program for 2nd year. But thats a year from now, so dont worry about it
Old 06-04-2010 at 11:34 PM   #6
Disney

Liked: 2 Times

5. from what I can recall, doing co-op on SOLAR is not a big deal. Sign up for Engineering 1EE0 if it's available to you. Go to the co-op office to actually sign up for a class (or just go, and ask about the class and they'll direct you in what to do)
Co-op office is in JHE A214.
Also, although they say it doesn't matter when you take the class, I found it better to get it done with asap, as you have access to jobs only after you've finished it, and it is generally just something you want to get out of the way.
good luck in Eng1

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/ecs/index.html