MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
second year eligibility (engineer)? pirates01 Academics 21 06-01-2011 09:56 PM
Who's Hiring 2011 - Spring/Summer Employment Fair ferreinm MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-19-2011 03:10 PM
Summer OSAP eligibility? Mr.Prodigy Financial Aid 2 04-25-2010 12:45 AM
employment opportunities Diversity Volunteering Opportunities 13 08-27-2007 09:34 PM

OSAP, no summer employment eligibility

Old 08-15-2011 at 02:15 PM   #1
Dragnerz

Liked: 0 Times

OSAP, no summer employment eligibility
Alright, so I'm going into my first year at McMaster into their Life Sciences program in the fall. I know that OSAP requires you to be working full-time during the summer and have an income of at least $2000 to be eligible.

Unfortunately, I was unable to do this at all and could not find employment, and so have not been able to meet this requirement. I remember from our school's OSAP 'talk' thing that they require that you have applied for at least 10 jobs during the summer if you were unable to find work; Does anybody know what exactly entails into proving this?

I have about 10 e-mails I've printed off of me inquiring about employment online and sending a resume, and a list of over 30 locations where I handed in a resume as well as the date at which I applied. Is this going to be enough? What are they expecting?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011 at 02:26 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnerz View Post
Alright, so I'm going into my first year at McMaster into their Life Sciences program in the fall. I know that OSAP requires you to be working full-time during the summer and have an income of at least $2000 to be eligible.

Unfortunately, I was unable to do this at all and could not find employment, and so have not been able to meet this requirement. I remember from our school's OSAP 'talk' thing that they require that you have applied for at least 10 jobs during the summer if you were unable to find work; Does anybody know what exactly entails into proving this?

I have about 10 e-mails I've printed off of me inquiring about employment online and sending a resume, and a list of over 30 locations where I handed in a resume as well as the date at which I applied. Is this going to be enough? What are they expecting?

Thanks!
OSAP doesn't require any work experience or income ever.
Old 08-16-2011 at 12:20 AM   #3
Dragnerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
OSAP doesn't require any work experience or income ever.
https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/PostsecondaryEducatio n/OSAP/Help/FAQs/index.htm

The eighth bullet down, if you expand it, it talks about how OSAP expects you to make an amount of income. It says to keep documentation, I'm just wondering what exactly they will expect to prove it, because while I have my list and the locations have my resume's, unless they go and check themselves I can't prove with signatures or anything.

I was told for recent high-school graduates, OSAP expects you to make $2000, and for University students OSAP expects $3000-$4000. If this is untrue that would be great, but I also remember reading that while filling out the application. :/
Old 08-16-2011 at 12:25 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/PostsecondaryEducatio n/OSAP/Help/FAQs/index.htm

The eighth bullet down, if you expand it, it talks about how OSAP expects you to make an amount of income. It says to keep documentation, I'm just wondering what exactly they will expect to prove it, because while I have my list and the locations have my resume's, unless they go and check themselves I can't prove with signatures or anything.

I was told for recent high-school graduates, OSAP expects you to make $2000, and for University students OSAP expects $3000-$4000. If this is untrue that would be great, but I also remember reading that while filling out the application. :/
If you wish to try and get more money from OSAP and haven't worked this summer bring your documentation to the SFAS office located in Gilmour Hall and make an appeal. This is just an appeal to get more financial aid though, it has nothing to do with applying for OSAP. Anyone can apply for OSAP regardless if they've worked or not.

Dragnerz says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-16-2011 at 11:58 PM   #5
Dragnerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If you wish to try and get more money from OSAP and haven't worked this summer bring your documentation to the SFAS office located in Gilmour Hall and make an appeal. This is just an appeal to get more financial aid though, it has nothing to do with applying for OSAP. Anyone can apply for OSAP regardless if they've worked or not.
Alright, cool. Thank you. But they will not deny me OSAP funding once they look and see I did not make that income?
Old 08-17-2011 at 07:20 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Alright, cool. Thank you. But they will not deny me OSAP funding once they look and see I did not make that income?
Depends on multiple factors which is why there are more questions than just "how much do you make" on the OSAP application.