MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP Question rda_14 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-09-2012 08:02 PM
OSAP question noboday Financial Aid 1 08-25-2011 08:00 PM
OSAP question Bug324 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-20-2011 08:58 PM
OSAP question killza Financial Aid 1 09-10-2009 01:40 PM
Question about TTG and OSAP HeatherH General Discussion 5 07-15-2009 05:49 PM

OSAP question...

Old 07-09-2012 at 07:43 PM   #1
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

OSAP question...
Hey guys, I am applying to osap right now and I was stuck at this question:

"The ministry may use a portion of your OSAP funding to pay, on your behalf, your tuition and compulsory fees directly to your school. If you don't want the fees to be paid on your behalf, indicate so here."

I don't live on rez, I live with my parents in Hamilton...so do you guys think I should just put 'no' ?
Did any of you guys who live off campus put 'yes' for that question?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2012 at 08:00 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hey guys, I am applying to osap right now and I was stuck at this question:

"The ministry may use a portion of your OSAP funding to pay, on your behalf, your tuition and compulsory fees directly to your school. If you don't want the fees to be paid on your behalf, indicate so here."

I don't live on rez, I live with my parents in Hamilton...so do you guys think I should just put 'no' ?
Did any of you guys who live off campus put 'yes' for that question?

Thanks
It's entirely up to you and your funding situation. Personally I think it's better to let OSAP pay the school directly because it usually pays after September 1st but 60% of your OSAP will be deducted from your tuition. So you are paying tuition minus 60% OSAP on Sept 1st.

You could also pay all your fees september first and get your OSAP deposited in your bank account.

If you can't pay in full September 1st, then let OSAP pay the school directly to minimize your overall balance and therefore your interest on Sept 30th. Otherwise by the time you get OSAP in mid to end of september (It may be different this year due to the change in processing), it might be too late to pay the school and you would be charged more interest.

jim1 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

jim1 likes this.
Old 07-09-2012 at 09:01 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Hey Jeremy I have 2 more questions..

1. Last attended a postsecondary institution full-time: I put June1,2012.. I am kind of confused about that questions because I am taking 2 courses this term as well so does that count as full time or should I just put in April 2012 ?

2. Ever had a student loan from Canada or Ontario: I put yes..do they mean osap as a "student loan" or is there a different student loan ??

Thanks
Old 07-09-2012 at 09:12 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Hey Jeremy I have 2 more questions..

1. Last attended a postsecondary institution full-time: I put June1,2012.. I am kind of confused about that questions because I am taking 2 courses this term as well so does that count as full time or should I just put in April 2012 ?

2. Ever had a student loan from Canada or Ontario: I put yes..do they mean osap as a "student loan" or is there a different student loan ??

Thanks
A cull course load in spring/summer is 12 units. I believe to be full-time for OSAP you need to be taking 60%. So if you took 9 units this spring/summer then you would be full-time.

I put yes for that question. I'm pretty sure that's what it means. There should be a link in that section for more information though.

jim1 likes this.
Old 07-09-2012 at 09:19 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
A cull course load in spring/summer is 12 units. I believe to be full-time for OSAP you need to be taking 60%. So if you took 9 units this spring/summer then you would be full-time.

I put yes for that question. I'm pretty sure that's what it means. There should be a link in that section for more information though.
So, if I took 6 units each term (2 courses), then that means that I am a full time student for the summer ? So I just put in August, 2012 for that question ?

There was no link or anything for the 'student loan' question :/

Thank you
Old 07-09-2012 at 10:13 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
So, if I took 6 units each term (2 courses), then that means that I am a full time student for the summer ? So I just put in August, 2012 for that question ?

There was no link or anything for the 'student loan' question :/

Thank you
Yeah, if you took 12 units in total then you are definitely a full time student for the spring/summer session.

If there's no link at the top of that section then there's probably not exception and they mean all types of loans by Canada/Ontario which includes OSAP.

jim1 likes this.
Old 07-09-2012 at 10:23 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah, if you took 12 units in total then you are definitely a full time student for the spring/summer session.

If there's no link at the top of that section then there's probably not exception and they mean all types of loans by Canada/Ontario which includes OSAP.
Makes sense...last question lol: because the question had "last attended" I wasn't sure what date to put in..does it really matter if I put July or August ?
Old 07-09-2012 at 10:26 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Makes sense...last question lol: because the question had "last attended" I wasn't sure what date to put in..does it really matter if I put July or August ?
I doubt it really matters but I would put August... You can confirm with SFAS tomorrow if you want.

jim1 likes this.
Old 07-09-2012 at 10:28 PM   #9
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
I doubt it really matters but I would put August... You can confirm with SFAS tomorrow if you want.
I wanted to save myself some time tomorrow and submit my application today But since I am in school tomorrow I will go and ask.

Thank you for the help
Old 07-09-2012 at 10:36 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I wanted to save myself some time tomorrow and submit my application today But since I am in school tomorrow I will go and ask.

Thank you for the help
Yeah, I would have confirmed as well since it's better to be certain and not have to make an amendment later on and have your funding delayed. It's doubtful they would hold your funding for such a thing but it's the government so it's always a possibility.

jim1 likes this.