MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
When does Queen Elizabeth II Aiming for the Top Scholarship release???????? jessiemc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-20-2011 07:59 PM
Queen Elizabeth II MacJk Financial Aid 0 06-29-2011 10:59 PM
OSAP/Queen Elizabeth allstarme Financial Aid 1 06-27-2011 08:58 PM
Queen Elizabeth II Aiming for the Top Scholarship Joyceyblank Financial Aid 4 05-22-2011 01:15 PM
Queen Elizabeth II Aiming for the Top cjdzl Financial Aid 10 07-24-2010 11:41 AM

OSAP’s Queen Elizabeth II (Aiming for the Top) Scholarships Discontinued

"The Queen Elizabeth II (Aiming for the Top) Scholarship has been discontinued by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and will not be available to students entering post-secondary education in September 2012."
http://future.mcmaster.ca/money-matt.../scholarships/

"Note:
The Queen Elizabeth II Aiming for the Top Tuition Scholarship will be discontinued beginning in 2012-2013 as part of a refocusing of supports for students. Current holders of this scholarship will be eligible to renew their awards based on their academic progress throughout their course of study."
https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en...PRD003576.html
_____________________ _________________

Unfortunately, if you are a new student coming from high school, you will not receive the "Queen Elizabeth II (Aiming for the Top) Scholarship". It's only offered for students who already received it in the past.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-30-2012 at 10:03 PM   #2
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS FoSo!

Liked: 160 Times
I swear they stop making it renewable . this is inevitable.
Old 06-30-2012 at 10:31 PM   #3
kaitotst
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Alumni

Liked: 33 Times
I think they discontinued it because we're getting money for the 30% off on Tuition.

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-01-2012 at 04:24 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member
Faculty: Engineering
Year: Other

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitotst View Post
I think they discontinued it because we're getting money for the 30% off on Tuition.
I agree with you, it makes sense to do so.

Old 07-01-2012 at 06:02 PM   #5
TLulu
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
I agree with you, it makes sense to do so.
Not really. Seeing as the QEII Scholarship had a maximum of $3500 while the rebate is only $1600, then it disadvantages most students in the end anyway.
Old 07-01-2012 at 06:10 PM   #6
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLulu View Post
Not really. Seeing as the QEII Scholarship had a maximum of $3500 while the rebate is only $1600, then it disadvantages most students in the end anyway.
Don't we get the rebate every year ? If so, then it's definitely better than the QEII scholarship!
Old 07-01-2012 at 08:15 PM   #7
Mahratta
Elite Member
Program: -
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Don't we get the rebate every year ? If so, then it's definitely better than the QEII scholarship!
You can keep renewing the QE2 if you get over a 9.5. Anyway, it's a win-win for us, we get both the scholarship and the rebate.

jim1 likes this.
Old 07-01-2012 at 08:29 PM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
You can keep renewing the QE2 if you get over a 9.5. Anyway, it's a win-win for us, we get both the scholarship and the rebate.
Yes, you can..but how many people get the chance to renew the QEII scholarship every year ? As you said, its a win-win for us (especially for people who are able to pull a 9.5 each year).
Old 07-01-2012 at 08:56 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLulu View Post
It's only a disadvantage for those students who scored the highest grades in their graduating high school classes (These are the only students who receive the QEII) and who are in financial need (If you aren't in financial need but had one of the highest grades from your highschool you would receive the minimum 100$ scholarship); as well as those students who are able to renew their QEII scholarships after that (maintaining a 9.5 average each year). I know many people who did not receive the QEII going into university, and I know some people who were not able to renew their QEII scholarship.

So the tuition rebate covers a broader student base as the financial need criteria is bigger than for the QEII (I only received 100$ from the QEII meaning I was not considered as a financial need student, but I did receive the tuition rebate because my parents' income fall under the tuition rebate criteria). It also includes students who require financial aid but did not perform at the top of their highschool's graduating class.

So I would say it's only a disadvantage to some students, but it's an advantage for far more students.

jim1 likes this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search