MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does the osap loan goes into your bank account? jake0405 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-12-2013 10:05 PM
Can I request change in OSAP for money to go directly into bank account by email? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-03-2012 10:22 PM
does osap go directly to you bank account 737300173 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-01-2011 10:28 PM
How do I pay Mcmaster the OSAP money that was deposited in my bank account? Jayson193 Financial Aid 6 10-28-2010 09:10 PM
osap and bank account.. xsanx Financial Aid 1 08-20-2010 11:14 AM

Osap still not in bank account..am I supposed to do my taxes?

Old 09-11-2014 at 02:06 PM   #1
MikeyO

Liked: 0 Times

Osap still not in bank account..am I supposed to do my taxes?
Still waiting on my OSAP to arrive... can't buy any books and I need them starting next week.

I have no idea what to do.. I went to the financial aid room and they couldn't help me cause they don't even have full access, then I call the OSAP phone number.. and get this - they don't deal with students from Ontario...The ONTARIO student assistance program doesn't deal with people from Ontario. In addition, instead of getting this money to the students early so they can fully prepare for their studies, they wait until two weeks in so you can panic and rush. Just genius! Gotta love the imbeciles who organize this system.

Now I'm trying to think of everything I could have done wrong. The financial aid person said that I have handed in all the required forms, I had my parents do their taxes this year early so I could get accurate information on my application and I've handed in my MFSAA..

I haven't done my taxes.. could that be why? I was told I wouldn't need to since I'm applying under my parent's due to not being a mature student yet.

At this rate it looks like I'm going to have to wait until next year.
Old 09-11-2014 at 03:08 PM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Do you have an estimated release date for your funds? If so, call the National Student Loans Centre, they're the ones you contact if your money is late. http://www.canlearn.ca/eng/common/he...ct/loans.shtml

Otherwise, all other OSAP issues are dealt with by the financial aid office at the respective school.
Old 09-11-2014 at 05:36 PM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

You can charge textbooks from Titles to your student account, which could be a temporary solution to that at least.

OSAP sometimes takes its sweet time, but it always comes eventually.
Old 09-11-2014 at 06:05 PM   #4
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

When did you applied for OSAP?
Old 09-11-2014 at 06:09 PM   #5
macskittles

Hey I think the same thing is going on for me. I applied for the tuition grant only and it says it was released on September 4th but it is still not in my bank account as well. I thought it may just be because of the processing time at the bank. I called TD and they said that I should wait till tomorrow to see if it arrives. They also said they cannot see pending transfers and that I probably should talk to the financial aid office. My friend on the other hand had her OSAP money in her account 2 days after the release date but she is with RBC.
Old 09-11-2014 at 06:24 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

You should always do your taxes, whether or not you make any money. It makes you eligible for tax credits and money back from the government. In addition, now that you're a student you get the tuition tax credits. I was under the impression that they take the parents' income AND the student's income into account while the student is considered dependent (out of high school for 4 years or less), but I'm not sure exactly how it works.

When you go on the OSAP website, does it say that they have given you the money? It should tell you if it's been transferred to your account or not. If it has, then the issue is bank processing time. If it hasn't, then the issue is with your OSAP application.

MikeyO says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 09-14-2014 at 10:24 AM   #7
MikeyO

Turns out there was a discrepancy between my course load reported on application and actual course load. Thanks for the information though.